Help! - Need a cheap train ticket!! Any tips or places to look?

Banned 7 replies
Found 24th Sep 2008
Hi guys,

Please can somebody help find me a train ticket:

Manchester (any station) to Basingstoke - leaving today (after 18:00)

I will be returning on Sunday (any time)

The cheapest i have found is on Trainline.com - open ended off peak return leaving at 19:24 comes in at £73.80.

I have no rail card or anything.

Thanks for the help!

7 Comments

that seems as good a price as you are gonna get - remember that the trainline have quidco too. Even a coach costs £34 each way

coach deals are often much cheaper ??

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for the reply guys.

Can i just ask - am i going mad with that ticket from Trainline?

Ive noticed if i booked a single to Basingstoke it's £70+ but an open ended return is only £4ish more!!

Are there any catches i am missing with an Open Ended return? Like can i return any time or will get collared for coming back too early?

Just need some clarification please. Thanks

How old are you? If you're under 25 then you could buy a railcard for £24 and get your ticket for £49.50, you won't save any money on this trip but then if you need to use the train again you'll be quids-in :thumbsup:

...of course, if you're over 25 then there's not much you can do...:oops:

Original Poster Banned

IndianaBlues;3038661

How old are you? If you're under 25 then you could buy a railcard for £24 … How old are you? If you're under 25 then you could buy a railcard for £24 and get your ticket for £49.50, you won't save any money on this trip but then if you need to use the train again you'll be quids-in :thumbsup:...of course, if you're over 25 then there's not much you can do...:oops:

£49.50 + 24 = £74.50 = my trip PLUS a rail card.

or

£74 one off open ended return journey.

The first deal sounds like the best one. How long does the rail card last for? and do i need a photo?

73.80 for a return after 6pm today on [url]www.nationalexpress.com[/url] for a train, just choose the train option not coach. Or if you dont mind arriving at 1am 2moro its 58.50 going by coach!!

jay_zizzle;3039443

£49.50 + 24 = £74.50 = my trip PLUS a rail card.or£74 one off open ended r … £49.50 + 24 = £74.50 = my trip PLUS a rail card.or£74 one off open ended return journey.The first deal sounds like the best one. How long does the rail card last for? and do i need a photo?

Yeah you'll need a passport photo, and the railcard lasts for a year. You'll also need proof of age, although even if you take it out a day before your 26th birthday it'll still be valid for a year :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention that you can't travel Mon-Fri before 10am on this railcard, but for all other tickets it's good!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz56
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…56119
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314659
    4. word association Game74244933

See more discussions