Help need to return a Samsung s8 to Amazon.it

Found 30th May 2017
Hoping someone can help. I purchased a Samsung s8 from Amazon.it - when it arrived it was damaged and now I need to return. After some research I am finding it's not as easy as it appears. Most couriers won't accept mobile phones to Italy and Amazon.it say they can't send a returns label. Need to send it insured and Royal Mail is a definite no.

Has anyone had this problem ? What are my options ?

Thanks for reading

21 Comments

Damn. I had to return headphones to Amazon as they sent out an order that I had cancelled and they ended up letting me keep them as the costs were so great.

Maybe see if Amazon are willing to arrange a courier to pick up from you given how much an S8 is? Have you sent them photos of the damage?

Where was the item posted from. I know you bought it from Amazon.it but have a look on the box as it might have been dispatched from Amazon.uk, if so try getting in touch with Amazon.uk and ask if you can return to them instead.

rhinopaul

Where was the item posted from. I know you bought it from Amazon.it but … Where was the item posted from. I know you bought it from Amazon.it but have a look on the box as it might have been dispatched from Amazon.uk, if so try getting in touch with Amazon.uk and ask if you can return to them instead.

I asked Amazon UK when I wanted to return the headphones and they weren't interested at all.

G0rdonGekko

I asked Amazon UK when I wanted to return the headphones and they weren't … I asked Amazon UK when I wanted to return the headphones and they weren't interested at all.

Some people have had success, nothing to lose .

what a nightmare

rhinopaul

Some people have had success, nothing to lose .

They're nothing to do with each other in effect. Customer services over here can't even handle a .it order - this is why orders placed on the other sites don't even show on your .co.uk account. If anyone has managed to get Amazon UK to co-ordinate a return from a different Amazon site then I'm inclined to think they are either telling porkies or are a Jedi.

misterleoni

They're nothing to do with each other in effect. Customer services over … They're nothing to do with each other in effect. Customer services over here can't even handle a .it order - this is why orders placed on the other sites don't even show on your .co.uk account. If anyone has managed to get Amazon UK to co-ordinate a return from a different Amazon site then I'm inclined to think they are either telling porkies or are a Jedi.

I am well aware of the differences but Amazon use various warehouse across Europe so a lot of orders from It,Fr,De are often dispatched from UK warehouse and visa/versa .I would like to give the benefit of the doubt as a lot of people have stated success in doing so as a lot have not. I dont believe that every one is lying on here.

Op. I was just live chatting with DPD , I asked them if they did the extra insurance cover & they started to process a quote but I didnt have the town/postcode so I was unable to continue. Give them another try.
dpdlocal-online.co.uk/

gibblesuk

what a nightmare

Indeed. If it arrived damaged, Amazon should be sorting it out. Especially for an item in excess of £500.

If simply cosmetic I think I might bite the bullet and eBay it

When I had to return PC parts to Amazon France I just posted RM insured royal mail, sent amazon a scan of my receipt and they refunded the full £10+

The problem is the lithium battery inside the phone. it's classed as dangerous/ hazardous goods. not all carriers will carry them. Amazon should really be sorting this for you though. They have accounts with most of the big carriers. Hope you get it sorted

dcx_badass

When I had to return PC parts to Amazon France I just posted RM insured … When I had to return PC parts to Amazon France I just posted RM insured royal mail, sent amazon a scan of my receipt and they refunded the full £10+

Its easy to return stuff, the problem is couriers wont insure mobile phones anymore and will only send it at your own risk.

Original Poster

You lot are a helpful bunch

karina80

You lot are a helpful bunch

Is that said in a sarcastic manner?

ringo7

The problem is the lithium battery inside the phone. it's classed as … The problem is the lithium battery inside the phone. it's classed as dangerous/ hazardous goods. not all carriers will carry them. Amazon should really be sorting this for you though. They have accounts with most of the big carriers. Hope you get it sorted

This all day long. Just find out what the complaint e-mail is for Amazon Italy (UK one is cs-reply@amazon.co.uk, so it might be cs-reply@amazon.it) and put a strongly worded e-mail with photos of the damaged attached.

If you want, I can put the e-mail together for you.

Edited by: "G0rdonGekko" 30th May 2017

As stated already, the return should be organised by Amazon as the item is damaged, it shouldn't be up to you to have to sort out the return, get back onto them

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Is that said in a sarcastic manner?

No its was genuine, I had typed a longer reply but it disappeared- it's been sorted now thankfully.
It's so good to have a community that you can ask almost any question and someone will be kind enough to take the time to answer.

If anyone is interested on how it was sorted. Here's how the story goes - ordered a Samsung s8 from Amazon.it, first one got lost/damaged in transit and never made it this far. Amazon.it kindly sent a replacement, when it arrived the phone box had been opened and the box was damaged, the phone was ok but wanted to return it as didn't feel it was new with undamaged packaging. I decided to try with a 3rd order ( price had dropped by 60 ish ) it arrived today box again was opened and phone, USB lead and charging plug were missing. Contacted Amazon and to save any hassle we agreed I would keep the 1 phone I did have at the discounted price ( & the 2nd box with additional accessories ) in the meantime the change in exchange rate means refund should be £15 more than I paid. All in all a roundabout solution and now I don't have to return anything.

I had contacted my credit card provider and they had said to tell Amazon.it the item was awaiting collection and if they failed to collect I could do a chargeback. Might be useful to someone else in the same situation.

Thanks again you guys for all your information and suggestions

karina8030th May

No its was genuine, I had typed a longer reply but it disappeared- it's …No its was genuine, I had typed a longer reply but it disappeared- it's been sorted now thankfully.It's so good to have a community that you can ask almost any question and someone will be kind enough to take the time to answer. If anyone is interested on how it was sorted. Here's how the story goes - ordered a Samsung s8 from Amazon.it, first one got lost/damaged in transit and never made it this far. Amazon.it kindly sent a replacement, when it arrived the phone box had been opened and the box was damaged, the phone was ok but wanted to return it as didn't feel it was new with undamaged packaging. I decided to try with a 3rd order ( price had dropped by 60 ish ) it arrived today box again was opened and phone, USB lead and charging plug were missing. Contacted Amazon and to save any hassle we agreed I would keep the 1 phone I did have at the discounted price ( & the 2nd box with additional accessories ) in the meantime the change in exchange rate means refund should be £15 more than I paid. All in all a roundabout solution and now I don't have to return anything.I had contacted my credit card provider and they had said to tell Amazon.it the item was awaiting collection and if they failed to collect I could do a chargeback. Might be useful to someone else in the same situation.Thanks again you guys for all your information and suggestions

hello
I have a similar situation to yours with amazon.it for a different item. Did they collected the second phone from you in the end or did you had to do a chargeback and kept both phones? its been 20 days since I have asked them to collect but there is no sign of a return label.
let me know how did you resolve it in the end...as I have paid twice and need a refund for one.

Original Poster

When the 2nd phone came the box was empty, it had been stolen in transit. I called the police and got a crime reference number, contacted Amazon.it and explained the situation, they agreed that I could keep the first phone at the lower price and issued a refund for the 2nd. Prior to the 2nd phone arriving I had contacted my credit card and they said if I made it clear to the company that the item was ready to be collected and it was up to them to arrange collection and they didn't respond I could have started a chargeback process. Good luck with yours.

Original Poster

Should have said first one wasn't strictly damaged, it had been opened, the box was damaged and I was scared it had be interfered with but got so fed up I kept it at a reduced price and it's working fine. It seems very common that high value items from Amazon.it are opened as they boxes have open flap sides which can easily be opened and closed over again. They must be loosing a fortune.
Post a comment
@
    Text