Help Needed: Advent 7062 Laptop

13 replies
Found 27th Apr 2009
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will rep those who are able to help me out.

My husband has decided after ages without his laptop that he'd like another one but he has an Advent 7062 here that is great condition (albeit low specs!) only problem with it is that there seems to be a registry problem when trying to boot, I have researched and tried a few things but it just keeps crashing on boot up, and bringing up an error with a file in the registry, sometimes a different one....

My question is....is this actually repairable? Or would be easier to take out the hard drive and pop into another of these laptops (had a quick search but have been unable to find one for sale anywhere including ebay)?

Or would it just be best to cut our losses, buy another one and perhaps sell this one off as spares/repairs?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help

13 Comments

Hi, the laptop itself is fine mechanicaly,

its a software issue, so id format the hard drive and reinstall windows,

Windows can get damaged by different thing we put on our pc'c/laptops

i usally format and re-install windows every 6 months on my pcs keep them clean and error free.

But id say unless you want to up-grade your hard drive there is no need for a new one.

If it is low spec, I'd go for a new one and sell the old one on eBay. By the time you have bought a new harddrive and fitted it (with the possiblity of something else wrong in the laptop) you might as well buy another. Entry level laptops are not that expensive these days.

Original Poster

[email protected];5043771

Hi, the laptop itself is fine mechanicaly,its a software issue, so id … Hi, the laptop itself is fine mechanicaly,its a software issue, so id format the hard drive and reinstall windows,Windows can get damaged by different thing we put on our pc'c/laptopsi usally format and re-install windows every 6 months on my pcs keep them clean and error free. :)But id say unless you want to up-grade your hard drive there is no need for a new one.

I have tried reformatting it but it just keeps bringing up errors...unless I'm doing something wrong??

Predikuesi;5043785

If it is low spec, I'd go for a new one and sell the old one on eBay. By … If it is low spec, I'd go for a new one and sell the old one on eBay. By the time you have bought a new harddrive and fitted it (with the possiblity of something else wrong in the laptop) you might as well buy another. Entry level laptops are not that expensive these days.

Oh it's low spec alright but he only wants it to play around on facebook etc, possibly the odd thing for work. I don't like to share mine you see :thumbsup:

If I can't get it up and working I may just have to go ahead and sell it though :thumbsup:

xsazzyjayx;5043829

If I can't get it up and working I may just have to go ahead and sell it … If I can't get it up and working I may just have to go ahead and sell it though :thumbsup:

A few months ago I had to buy a replacement screen for my laptop. They were really expensive from dealers, but I bought one from eBay for £60. You may recoup most of the cost of buying a new laptop if you sold the various parts on eBay. I got over £100 for a low spec IMB laptop recently (Win98).

Original Poster

Predikuesi;5043862

A few months ago I had to buy a replacement screen for my laptop. They … A few months ago I had to buy a replacement screen for my laptop. They were really expensive from dealers, but I bought one from eBay for £60. You may recoup most of the cost of buying a new laptop if you sold the various parts on eBay. I got over £100 for a low spec IMB laptop recently (Win98).

That is a good point actually! Thanks for the advice there, I really appreciate it

Could you try the recovery disks and see what happens then, and as someone said if this does not work then replace the hard drive or sell on ebay with this fault at least he will get some money to put towards another rather than it just gathering dust

Original Poster

hutchir9;5043904

Could you try the recovery disks and see what happens then, and as … Could you try the recovery disks and see what happens then, and as someone said if this does not work then replace the hard drive or sell on ebay with this fault at least he will get some money to put towards another rather than it just gathering dust

Tried the recovery disks too, thanks for your advice

Best thing to do is check what file it needs and put it back through DOS. It may be hal.dll you can get this off the internet the same as any dll file. You then put it on a Floppy / Flash Drive and copy it over. Quite easy and may fix it.

Original Poster

gr8h8me;5045323

Best thing to do is check what file it needs and put it back through DOS. … Best thing to do is check what file it needs and put it back through DOS. It may be hal.dll you can get this off the internet the same as any dll file. You then put it on a Floppy / Flash Drive and copy it over. Quite easy and may fix it.

Offhand I can't remember the file names but will fire it up and take anotehr look at it. It actually brings up often a different file name every few attempts....

Might sound like a VERY dippy question....but can I copy something over when it only runs in DOS and doesn't actually start as it should?:oops:

Yes you can...i.e D:copy hal.dll c: This would tell D Drive (Flash / Floppy) to copy to C (Hard Drive) or locate system 32 and copy D to it

Original Poster

gr8h8me;5045696

Yes you can...i.e D:copy hal.dll c: This would tell D Drive (Flash / … Yes you can...i.e D:copy hal.dll c: This would tell D Drive (Flash / Floppy) to copy to C (Hard Drive) or locate system 32 and copy D to it

Thank you, rep left :thumbsup:

[email protected];5043771

i usally format and re-install windows every 6 months on my pcs keep them … i usally format and re-install windows every 6 months on my pcs keep them clean and error free.

Six months is a bit excessive these days. It does sound like it might be a software issue, but broken hardware can also cause missing data.

xsazzyjayx;5043829

I have tried reformatting it but it just keeps bringing up … I have tried reformatting it but it just keeps bringing up errors...unless I'm doing something wrong??

Without knowing what you're doing it's difficult to say. Likewise, without knowing what the error message is you're getting it's hard to suggest solutions except for reinstalling windows (which will reset all your settings, and if it's on the same partition formatting will wipe all your data as well).

Predikuesi;5043862

A few months ago I had to buy a replacement screen for my laptop. They … A few months ago I had to buy a replacement screen for my laptop. They were really expensive from dealers, but I bought one from eBay for £60. You may recoup most of the cost of buying a new laptop if you sold the various parts on eBay. I got over £100 for a low spec IMB laptop recently (Win98).

The IBM laptops are much sought after because of their great build quality, you wouldn't get anywhere near as much for an Advent of the same age, yours is a lot newer though so you might get a reasonable price.

Best thing to is if you not bothered about the data, is to format the HD using a quick NTFS format.
Then re-installing XP onto the machine. This will be the quickest fix instead of messing around with the registry and re-inatalling the DLL's that are missing.
As once one of these goes corrupt it will lead to problems in the future.
Another thing you could do is bootup using the XP cd and do a repair then run SFC /scannow and this will check all you system files and will replace any that are corrupted or missing.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247614
    2. Free sweet Sunday’s code11
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769363
    4. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…3770

See more discussions