Groups

Help needed after restoring Laptop to Factory settings - Regarding permissions

Hi all,

I have had to restore a freinds laptop (Hewlett Packard) back to factory settings due to a problem with Vista. I used the HP recovery manager software to first create a backup of all the files, then run through to restore the laptop. I have since restored the backup file also, which has placed all files in a folder on the C: drive. Within this folder, it looks as if there is a mirror of the original C: before the restore. I am having issues in opening the files, as previously, there where to user accounts on the laptop. If i go into either "user 1", or "user 2" folders, soay for example, pictures, it displays a message stating that I do not have permission to view this file. Is there a way to remove, or amend the permissions associated to these files?

Hopefully someone can help, as at the moment, it seems pointless that i done the backup as i can no longer view the files.

Heat & Rep will be left for those that can help.

Cheers

3 Comments

You will need to take ownership of the files so that they can be opened and copied to their correct locations. I am not a Vista expert by any means as I hated it and took it off my laptop to put XP on. I am currently running Windows 7 RC1 by the way and it is brilliant.

Anyway, I have found a registry hack that will add a right-click context menu item which will allow you to take ownership of files and therefore byopass the permissions problem. A link to the details of this can be found ]here.

I hope it helps. Let me know how you get on.

Original Poster

4leafed;5816579

You will need to take ownership of the files so that they can be opened … You will need to take ownership of the files so that they can be opened and copied to their correct locations. I am not a Vista expert by any means as I hated it and took it off my laptop to put XP on. I am currently running Windows 7 RC1 by the way and it is brilliant.Anyway, I have found a registry hack that will add a right-click context menu item which will allow you to take ownership of files and therefore byopass the permissions problem. A link to the details of this can be found ]here.I hope it helps. Let me know how you get on.

That looks prefect. At work know so will not be able to take a look until this evening, but will give you an update after i have give it a go.

Cheers

Original Poster

update

Found out that if you create a user account with the same name and password - you can then access those files previously linked to that account, so the above mentioned reg edit was not needed. Thanks for your suggestion on this though - Rep added!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free Codes from EGX66
      2. One for the mathmeticians1829
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767422
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2645

See more discussions