Help needed choosing a bike

Found 1st Apr
Hi there,
I’m looking to buy a bike, max budget is £300 and plan to use it on country paths, local woodlands and paths in parks too. Not for riding on main roads but some parks near me have tarmac paths etc.

I’ve been thinking of getting a hybrid bit with front suspension.

There’s a Schwinn in Costco and a Carrera on sale in Halford and wondered if anyone had an opinion on what would be best.

halfords.com/web…001

Vs

costco.co.uk/Spo…614

Cheers for your help.
Community Updates
14 Comments
You get a lot more bike for your money if you’re prepared to go second hand. If you look at Facebook marketplace or eBay (and insist on some proof of ownership), then you can get a really decent bit of kit for the money you’re talking about.
cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/tips-for-buying-second-hand-bike-340839

roadcyclinguk.com/gear/eight-tips-buying-second-hand-bike.html

How to Measure Yourself for a Bike

Measure Your Inseam

The most important measurement when sizing a bike is your inseam length. Don't base your inseam simply on your jeans size. The more precise, the better.

Stand with your back against a wall and spread your feet 6-8" apart.

Place a book between your legs and up against the wall, spine up; raise it until snug against your crotch (this mimics your bike seat).

Have another person measure from the top of the book (spine) down to the floor.

If you don't have another person to measure you, mark the measurement with a pencil on a wall, remembering to measure from the top of the book (spine) down to the floor as mentioned above.

sierratradingpost.com/lp2/bike-fit-guide/

I was quite lucky with mine. It was second hand per se and the guy who sold it to me hadn't actually used it, so was actually brand new when I got it, still had the plastic covering on it too. It wasn't nicked either thankfully. He bought it with the intention of using it though decided he didn't need another bike added to his collection. He also sold it to me for half the original price as well. With any luck you may find the same.

Good luck.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 1st Apr
I agree, A Boardman comp can be bought for around 300 or less second hand
Millionvoltage5 m ago

Is the Boardman Comp a good bike? Are they a pretty sturdy bike?
If you are a brand queen then ignore this.

Head off to Decathlon. Most of their bikes are good value. Some excellent. Some bloody brilliant
Original Poster
dickie_engine1 h, 42 m ago

You get a lot more bike for your money if you’re prepared to go second h …You get a lot more bike for your money if you’re prepared to go second hand. If you look at Facebook marketplace or eBay (and insist on some proof of ownership), then you can get a really decent bit of kit for the money you’re talking about.

Thanks, what brands are the best to look out for please?
Original Poster
Millionvoltage38 m ago

Thanks, are there any other brands you’d recommend please?
Original Poster
ccnp31 m ago

If you are a brand queen then ignore this.Head off to Decathlon. Most of …If you are a brand queen then ignore this.Head off to Decathlon. Most of their bikes are good value. Some excellent. Some bloody brilliant

Def not a brand snob but I’ve heard some negative comments about the cheap suspension on the cheaper bikes that has put me off. If you can recommend models I’d really appreciate it.
I have a 2014 Boardman MX Sport, it's the model below the MX Comp and really like it. However if you'e happy to buy second hand with a budget go for the Comp version unless it is a 2016 MX Sport as both come with Hydraulic brakes.
ccnp3 h, 9 m ago

If you are a brand queen then ignore this.Head off to Decathlon. Most of …If you are a brand queen then ignore this.Head off to Decathlon. Most of their bikes are good value. Some excellent. Some bloody brilliant

Not really about brand, it's about reliability, quality, and durability, how a bike holds up in certain terrain. For some people it might even be weight, a lighter bike is easy to navigate, hills for example. Maybe you want a bike that has good suspension. Different materials too; alloy, steel, titanium, carbon fibre (composite).

Anyway, let's not get bogged down by these details. Do your research on what you think is best for you OP.

Somewhere like bikeradar is a good start.

If the B'TWIN bikes in Decathlon are any good then go for it.

bikeradar.com/

bikeradar.com/forums/
Edited by: "LemonHead" 2nd Apr
Good reviews for B’TWIN bikes on BikeRadar by the way.

bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12732735

Decathlon Cycle became the technical partner of the AG2R Prévoyance professional cycling team a few years back from what I've just read.

Decathlon Cycle was reborn as B’TWIN in 2006. Not sure if this is relevant but thought I'd mention it all the same. Nerdy fact.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 2nd Apr
I would get a mtb from Halfords on sale at the moment I used to have a hybrid bike I'm much happier with the mtb thoghe because it just feels better and my mtb had a bigger range of gears for whatever speed or hill etc but I think the best thing you can do is go to a bike shop so you can sit on some bikes to decide
Edited by: "_Enzo_" 2nd Apr
KW0009 h, 54 m ago

Def not a brand snob but I’ve heard some negative comments about the cheap …Def not a brand snob but I’ve heard some negative comments about the cheap suspension on the cheaper bikes that has put me off. If you can recommend models I’d really appreciate it.

The models change every year. I have a red Triban 3 road bike that I love (and so does my son) and Rockrider 540 for off road. I have rented a £1,500 Scott bike and can feel the difference. But my wallet can feel the difference between £300 and £1,500 so I am perfectly happy. I talk to the staff to find out more info and look up reviews.

Yes, I have heard plenty of negative comments; crank, wheels, suspension, brakes, tyres.............everything gets criticised. But usually by people who are brand queens or who are selling.
I bought the Boardman MX Sport last year and I'm very pleased with it. Gear shifting up and down with your thumbs takes a little getting used to but, once you do, it's really handy. Lockable suspension, hydraulic breaks, slim saddle.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions