Help needed, damaged new solar panels

Found 6th Feb
So it's a new build house, our builder said he needs the solar panels on before tiled in, they are tiled around not beneath. Energy firm install them with a flashing metallic trim at the top. The roof wasn't tiled for a few weeks and during the storm at Xmas the flashing trim blew half off and was flailing around and scratched badly two panels.

Solar firm saying it's not their fault, the tiles should have gone on, builder says the trim wasn't left secure. We are being told to pay for something we never caused. I hate paying twice for something new, it's doing my head this problem.

Who can I contact to ask and resolve this ?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Who are you paying for the solar panels - the energy firm or the builder?

That is who you have a "contract" with and who you are in dispute with - regardless of whose 'fault' it was.

If it is the energy firm withhold payment (hopefully you haven't paid) and they must take it up their case with the builder. If it is the builder again advise him that you will be withholding a payment until resolved to your satisfaction - then it is his problem to resolve with the panel installer.

Where two other parties are involved it is always difficult as they will blame each other but you have to try and make it one of their problems and for them to solve it with the other. Appreciate this is easier said than done! Good luck!
Edited by: "Van1973" 6th Feb
Get a repair quote or three before deciding what to do.

1. You can get a surveyor to give you an opinion on who was to blame. You can then ask a lawyer to take action.

2. You can use your Buildings insurance to resolve the matter.

Both will leave a bad taste but going to law is a mugs game, fraught with risk and needing an open cheque book running into the £000s to cover not only your costs but also those of the defendant if you lose.

3. You can explain your dissatisfaction to the solar company and that you will be writing up factual reviews of the situation in online forums like Trustpilot. They will threaten but honesty isn't actionable. They wont repair for free but they may discount the bill.

I greatly regret that it sounds like one of life's less pleasant experiences and best resolved with a smile as opposed to lettin git burn you up.
Tell them its now on the Snag List and needs attention from there end to rectify otherwise you will be holding final payment back, that might wake them up.
builder fault as he should have tiled as soon as the panels were on. i would go after the builders if you are buying the house from them.
The house is our project, our plot, the builder is building the house on an estimate. We supplied our own windows, kitchen etc and the solar panels/air source heat pump.

Going after the builder at this stage is hard for us as all he will do is add on the extra at the final payment and just say to us it went over estimate.

Really stuck on this one, in my view the flashing should be in fit state to be left, what if the storm happened the first night of them being installed?
You have dodgy builders thats it.
airfix56 m ago

The house is our project, our plot, the builder is building the house on …The house is our project, our plot, the builder is building the house on an estimate. We supplied our own windows, kitchen etc and the solar panels/air source heat pump. Going after the builder at this stage is hard for us as all he will do is add on the extra at the final payment and just say to us it went over estimate. Really stuck on this one, in my view the flashing should be in fit state to be left, what if the storm happened the first night of them being installed?

problem here is that the solar panels can not be secured on their own as they need to be held down by tiles, or at least protected from the storm by the flush fitting with the tiles.

the fact that the builder could not come straightaway to fit the tiles when the solar panels had already been sited is not the solar panel firm's problem. unless their t&c states that the panels are to be securely fitted and does not rely on the tiles for support.

in the ordinary process of events, this sort of thing would probably be covered under buildings insurance but as it is works in progress i assume that there is no buildings insurance in place to claim on.

i can't see you being able to successfully claim against the solar panel firm, especially as the panels managed to stay put for a few weeks when the builder did not bother to come round.
mutley11 h, 40 m ago

problem here is that the solar panels can not be secured on their own as …problem here is that the solar panels can not be secured on their own as they need to be held down by tiles, or at least protected from the storm by the flush fitting with the tiles.the fact that the builder could not come straightaway to fit the tiles when the solar panels had already been sited is not the solar panel firm's problem. unless their t&c states that the panels are to be securely fitted and does not rely on the tiles for support.in the ordinary process of events, this sort of thing would probably be covered under buildings insurance but as it is works in progress i assume that there is no buildings insurance in place to claim on.i can't see you being able to successfully claim against the solar panel firm, especially as the panels managed to stay put for a few weeks when the builder did not bother to come round.

Solar panels don't need the tiles to hold them down , they are bolted to the roof trusses.

The flashing trim blew off, they stapled it to the timbers but they pulled through, I'm in construction and a little OCD over leaving my jobs in a safe state, but hey ho, busman's holiday and I become the victim
airfix1 h, 15 m ago

Solar panels don't need the tiles to hold them down , they are bolted to …Solar panels don't need the tiles to hold them down , they are bolted to the roof trusses. The flashing trim blew off, they stapled it to the timbers but they pulled through, I'm in construction and a little OCD over leaving my jobs in a safe state, but hey ho, busman's holiday and I become the victim

well i am not in construction, but you probably know that

i do know that flashings are made of lead which is pretty soft so i am not surprised that they pulled through when you have gale force winds. it could be argued that if the tiles were in place, that would hold the flashings down and so avoid the current problem?

if this is not the case, and you would expect the flashings to withstand the storm without the tiles being in place, then you would have a case against the solar panel company for not fixing the flashings securely.
airfix1 h, 30 m ago

Solar panels don't need the tiles to hold them down , they are bolted to …Solar panels don't need the tiles to hold them down , they are bolted to the roof trusses. The flashing trim blew off, they stapled it to the timbers but they pulled through, I'm in construction and a little OCD over leaving my jobs in a safe state, but hey ho, busman's holiday and I become the victim

I trust you're insured. They'll sort it out for you. The bottom line is you are the project manager and it's for you to sort out when various traders should be present, and as harsh as it may seem, the conclusion of these events may be that leaving the panels on for any length of time without the tiles in place was unwise. Your insurance company will have a legal department and will try to mitigate their loss if possible. What's done is done, and if you're insured you won't be out of pocket.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 6th Feb
Is repair viable? (definitely not advisable is setting in series) blog link
Edited by: "Bertz99" 7th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants