Groups

Help Needed for limiting text within box in Word

I know this is a long shot, but I want to create a form that will be distributed for people to enter data into - but I want to protect the form so that if they enter too much data the text does not spill over a page, any Word experts out there able to point me in the right direction?

Appreciated!

9 Comments

use field boxes (icon in the FORMS toolbar) you can restrict the number of words/characters per box, hence getting data/form to one page.

just rep me later :thumbsup:

Disco;3004881

just rep me later :thumbsup:

That's a bit naughty, rep begging is against the forum rules :?

SunTzu;3004903

That's a bit naughty, rep begging is against the forum rules :?

hardly begging, just friendly banter FFS!! couldn't care less tbh, not as though i dont have any? .. I seem to help at least one person every day. :x

Original Poster

Well deserved rep, as I'd not even used that additional tool bar. But can I be cheekier and ask for further instructions? I'm still none the wiser with the extra options. In the Text Form Field Options, I can see the place where it says maximum length. I change it to say (eg) 5 but when I go back in to the box I can type as much as I like. Think I'm missing something key!! (You don't say) But I'm guessing this might take too much of your time to explain, so don't worry. Rep added regardless.

berni888;3005177

Well deserved rep, as I'd not even used that additional tool bar. But … Well deserved rep, as I'd not even used that additional tool bar. But can I be cheekier and ask for further instructions? I'm still none the wiser with the extra options. In the Text Form Field Options, I can see the place where it says maximum length. I change it to say (eg) 5 but when I go back in to the box I can type as much as I like. Think I'm missing something key!! (You don't say) But I'm guessing this might take too much of your time to explain, so don't worry. Rep added regardless.

ill look into it for you if no1 else dose. im busy at the mo, but will do it later today

Original Poster

Disco;3005322

ill look into it for you if no1 else dose. im busy at the mo, but will do … ill look into it for you if no1 else dose. im busy at the mo, but will do it later today

Thanks Disco, I'm fortunate to clock off at 12:30 on Fridays, so have been trying to get to grips with my to do list so like I said any help is appreciated as and when!

Original Poster

Disco;3005322

ill look into it for you if no1 else dose. im busy at the mo, but will do … ill look into it for you if no1 else dose. im busy at the mo, but will do it later today

I think I've sussed the limit of characters, but unfortunately it doesn't prevent a user hitting return a few times which will eat up the space and cause my document to be split across pages that it's not designed to do. Basically it'll look unprofessional, but I've learnt something new for today so thanks for pointing me in the right direction and for your time!

Disco;3004881

use field boxes (icon in the FORMS toolbar) you can restrict the number … use field boxes (icon in the FORMS toolbar) you can restrict the number of words/characters per box, hence getting data/form to one page. just rep me later :thumbsup:

berni888;3005744

I think I've sussed the limit of characters, but unfortunately it doesn't … I think I've sussed the limit of characters, but unfortunately it doesn't prevent a user hitting return a few times which will eat up the space and cause my document to be split across pages that it's not designed to do. Basically it'll look unprofessional, but I've learnt something new for today so thanks for pointing me in the right direction and for your time!

if the doc aint confidental, sent it over to [email protected] and ill take a look. in the meantime, read this

Method 1: Set Up the Form in a Table

Place the form fields inside a table. Each cell that contains a form field has a fixed width, so varying the text length does not move text or other form fields horizontally on the page. Setting the table row to an exact height to control the number of lines that are displayed in your form will maintain the vertical position of other items on your form.

Method 2: Set Up the Form in a Frame

Place the form field in a frame. You can format the frame to have an exact height and width. To locate this option, select the frame. On the Format menu, click Frames.

To insert a frame, first insert a text box and convert the text box to a frame. To do this, select the text box and then click Text Box on the Format menu, click the Text Box tab, and then click Convert to Frame.
    Method 3: Set Up the Form by Using Tabs

Set a tab immediately after the form field. The drawback to this method is that if the text inside the form field extends past the tab stop, the text or form field following the tab stop will not be positioned correctly.

Original Poster

Thanks Disco. I don't have access to word on the laptop I'm now on, but I'll definitely give that a go when I next can. Have a super weekend. Cheers
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened56
      2. Cheap 'smart phone' for child wanted.22
      3. Ditched Sky22
      4. When is the next Howdens Joinery sale?11

See more discussions