Help needed from CeX users

Found 30th Jul 2015
I sold a voucher today and sent the details to the buyer, he got an error when he tried to use it. It worked fine for so I went to the store and asked and one of the workers said its probably attached to my account. So I came home and made a random account and the voucher added on fine. Now the buyer wants a refund and I just wanted to know if vouchers are tied to one account.
Community Updates
31 Comments
No, I do not believe so. How did they pay and where did you sell?

joshp

No, I do not believe so. How did they pay and where did you sell?

I sold a cex voucher worth £42, he payed with bank transfer. pm'd code details and sent photo of voucher details
Edited by: "ganon" 30th Jul 2015
ganon

I sold a cex voucher worth £42, he payed with bank transfer. pm'd code … I sold a cex voucher worth £42, he payed with bank transfer. pm'd code details and sent photo of voucher details

I would wait for further advice however I certainly would not issue a refund without either using or reselling the voucher now because nothing stops the buyer using it after you have refunded them now, tread carefully! Although there should be no logical explanation as to why it should not work for them.
joshp

I would wait for further advice however I certainly would not issue a … I would wait for further advice however I certainly would not issue a refund without either using or reselling the voucher now because nothing stops the buyer using it after you have refunded them now, tread carefully! Although there should be no logical explanation as to why it should not work for them.

I have notified a mod a few hours ago and still waiting for some advice and have not refunded for this very same reason
ganon

I have notified a mod a few hours ago and still waiting for some advice … I have notified a mod a few hours ago and still waiting for some advice and have not refunded for this very same reason

I am not entirely familiar with Cex vouchers however I know I've seen many sold before. If they are trying to redeem it online ask them to send you a screenshot of the error message, see if they are telling the truth.
Edited by: "joshp" 30th Jul 2015
If it worked for you and not him he's entering they details wrong
The photo he posted showed everything done correctly but may be he changed details after, I don't know
Got email from cex

Thank you for writing to us.

The CeX voucher is not locked to an individual's account. Yes, the voucher can be redeemed by others as well.

When you select the product, at checkout you can pay via voucher. You will need to input the voucher number, value, expiry date and issue date and time.

You will find all these details on the piece of paper issued by the store.

Regards
If it works for you and not the user (he is genuinely doing something wrong or is lying and is possibly trying to scam you into refunding him and then will use the voucher as he has all details), ask him for all his address details and the item he wants and buy it for him and get it sent to him.

If he is genuine and just wants a working code, this will be solve his problem and yours! If the item he wants costs more than the voucher value (depending how much more, less than £10 say you will pay the extra as goodwill gesture and he will pay you the extra once you have sent him confirmation of proof of ordering).

Good luck.
n00dles0up

If it works for you and not the user (he is genuinely doing something … If it works for you and not the user (he is genuinely doing something wrong or is lying and is possibly trying to scam you into refunding him and then will use the voucher as he has all details), ask him for all his address details and the item he wants and buy it for him and get it sent to him. If he is genuine and just wants a working code, this will be solve his problem and yours! If the item he wants costs more than the voucher value (depending how much more, less than £10 say you will pay the extra as goodwill gesture and he will pay you the extra once you have sent him confirmation of proof of ordering).Good luck.

Well I gave him 3 options
Refund
Post the actual voucher to use in store
Buy item and post to his address

He asked for refund which was fine until I found out anyone can use it. I asked him to create another account to try again and he said he already brought the item as it was the last one.

My main concern is he has the voucher details to use after a refund. The voucher works for anyone and confirmed by cex so I believe I haven't done anything wrong
ganon

Well I gave him 3 optionsRefundPost the actual voucher to use in storeBuy … Well I gave him 3 optionsRefundPost the actual voucher to use in storeBuy item and post to his addressHe asked for refund which was fine until I found out anyone can use it. I asked him to create another account to try again and he said he already brought the item as it was the last one.My main concern is he has the voucher details to use after a refund. The voucher works for anyone and confirmed by cex so I believe I haven't done anything wrong

Sounds like a potential scam, go to a CEX and ask is there a way of getting a new voucher, so that you can refund the user and that way he cant use it after you refund him.

Do not refund until you have got a new voucher! You may be able to buy something and then get a refund which will issue a new voucher.

Good luck.
Do not refund. All you need to prove is to a MOD that the voucher works and is genuine. There is no way on earth you can refund now as he has access to the working voucher.

The only way a refund would be forced is if you could not prove the voucher is valid, but in this case you can so just refuse the refund and tell him he has the working voucher that he paid for.
if you use part of the voucher to buy something cheap they will give you a new eVoucher with the remaining balance on it and the original voucher becomes invalid. Before offering a refund i would spend as little as possible and get a new evoucher

Cheapest items are like 10p but you would lose £2.50 due to postage. I would totally buy this CD and send it to the buyer uk.webuy.com/pro…738
NEtech

Do not refund. All you need to prove is to a MOD that the voucher works … Do not refund. All you need to prove is to a MOD that the voucher works and is genuine. There is no way on earth you can refund now as he has access to the working voucher.The only way a refund would be forced is if you could not prove the voucher is valid, but in this case you can so just refuse the refund and tell him he has the working voucher that he paid for.

joshp

n00dles0up

ganon

emodan

To all,

I am the person who purchased the CEX voucher from Ganon. I would like to put forward my side of the story as Ganon has missed out some parts.

@Ganon, I wish you would have kept in contact with me rather than going silent after offering me a refund. The first even knew there was a problem was when a MOD PM’d me.

Sorry this is long but I feel the full details need to be heard.

Here’s the FULL story

1. After missing a deal from CEX for a r9 270 GPU for £70 (can’t find the hduk link), I have been searching for a cheap r9 270/270x for a while now. And I check back on the CEX website pretty much every day to see if the 270 is back in stock.

2. On the 30/07/2015 it came in stock and there was 1 only. Before purchasing I decided to check the trade section on HUKD to see if anyone was selling a CEX voucher – Ganon was.

3. I asked if he would take £35 for a £42 voucher, he said £36 and I accepted.

4. I transferred the money, Ganon received it and sent me a code via pm the same day.

5. Having not purchased online from CEX before i made a new account out the GPU in my basket and attempted to use the voucher.

6. CEX required more than just the voucher code. So I pm’d Ganon and asked for everything CEX needed that I didn’t already have which were, voucher date and voucher time.

7. Ganon quickly pm’d them to me. The details were not working. I tried 2 different browsers and switched devices – but the voucher still was not working.

8. The error was “Sorry, the details of that CeX voucher appear to be incorrect. Please check and try again, or contact us for assistance.

9. I pm’d Ganon and said “Hey, would you mind double checking all the details as it doesn't seem to be working, possibly a number missing off the code?

10. Ganon replied “Really sorry, the date is XX/XX/XXXX” [i’ve removed the real date so it’s not public]

11. I entered the new details and the voucher was still not working. By this point I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the voucher or if this person is scamming me.

12. I reply to Ganon:
“Still doesn't seem to be working, here's what I'm entering:

Voucher/Order No: XXXXXX

Total Voucher Value: 42

Expiry Date: 30/07/3015

Issue Date & Time: XX/XX/XX XX:XX:XX
(If Present)”

13. At this point Ganon uploaded the picture so I could see the actual receipt. And also says the first date was fine, he was looking at the wrong receipt.

14. I replied: “Yep date is XX and you were giving me your customer number instead of voucher number. However it's still not working. Would you mind giving them a call and seeing what's wrong and getting back to me? Semi urgent as there is only 1 product in stock that I want to buy

15. Ganon replied: “Did you try the order number? XXXXXXXX. let me know asap so I can pop in store”

16. I replied: “Yes that's the number I tried. Have you got whatsapp, I can send you a pic of the error I was getting”

17. Ganon replied: “Im gonna pop to the store. email me XXXXX@XXXXXX

18. I then emailed Ganon with the pic of the error i was getting.

19. Ganon replied: “It added the voucher fine for me. I'll pop in the store to confirm for you” and also asked me to try again with firefox browser.

20. I replied: “I haven't got Firefox but tried ie first now just tried chrome but not working. Maybe it's linked to your account only ?”

21. Ganon replied: “I'm gonna find out shortly”

22. Ganon then got back to me and said: “Just spoke to them and they said the receipt can be used by anyone but the code is apparently linked to my account.

I can refund you
Post the receipt to you
Buy the item you want and have it delivered to you

Sorry for the mess”

23. I replied: “No problem, just a refund is fine. Life is learning , thanks for checking”

24. At this point is purchased the GPU as I didn’t want to lose it.

25. Almost an hour later Ganon sent me a PM saying: “I just made a random cex account and was able to add the voucher with no problem. Can you try with a new account perhaps?”

26. I replied: “Hi,

It was a new account i made today, i've only ever bought instore in cex previously. it may have worked because of cache'd data in your browser. I already purchase the item as i didn't want to lose it. Sorry we couldn't make it work out this time.

27. The Next day i receive a message from MOD Team.

28. An hour after than I get a PM from Ganon Saying: “Got email from cex

Hi [NAME REMOVED]

Thank you for writing to us.

The CeX voucher is not locked to an individual's account. Yes, the voucher can be redeemed by others as well.

When you select the product, at checkout you can pay via voucher. You will need to input the voucher number, value, expiry date and issue date and time.

You will find all these details on the piece of paper issued by the store.

Regards”

29. I replied: “Hi, sorry i don't know what to tell you, it just wasn't working. I have ordered the product already. I wish it would have worked as I would have got £6 off.

Unfortunately I couldn't wait as there was only 1 in stock and didn't want to miss it. Is there a problem with the refund?”

@Ganon, I have just check the code again to see if it is working and it now is. As you can see from the Picture I sent you I was previously entering all the details correctly so I don’t know why it was not working. Possibly due to entering the wrong codes previously so many times? Did they do something when you went into the store?
Either way you were the one that told me: “Just spoke to them and they said the receipt can be used by anyone but the code is apparently linked to my account.

I can refund you
Post the receipt to you
Buy the item you want and have it delivered to you

Sorry for the mess”
I accepted your apology and accepted your offer of a refund, and then went on to purchase the GPU.

I don’t see how i’ve done anything wrong here. The voucher now does work but I do not need it anymore because you told me that cex told you it was apparently linked to your account. Because of this I thought our transaction was over and you would refund me.
Please do what you need to in regards to the voucher however I will not be using it or passing the details on to anyone.
I would now like swift resolution to this please.
I will post below a copy of my order from CEX and the original error message that i sent to you via email

Would others like to weigh in now the full information is available?

Edited by: "jambone" 2nd Aug 2015
Reserved for pictures

http://i.imgur.com/I90h9vk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Y5NevyY.jpg

Edited by: "jambone" 2nd Aug 2015
was this the £42 voucher?

EliTom
elitom

was this the £42 voucher?EliTom

Yes
jambone

Yes

OK - my idea would not work

hope you get it sorted

EliTom
elitom

OK - my idea would not work hope you get it sortedEliTom

Thanks
They didn't do nothing at the store and I think the young kid was just guessing its attached to my account. I'm not sure why you had a problem but its confirmed it works for anyone. I have no use for the voucher as I don't want to buy another controller from them. There was no problem with the voucher and the sale was valid.
ganon

They didn't do nothing at the store and I think the young kid was just … They didn't do nothing at the store and I think the young kid was just guessing its attached to my account. I'm not sure why you had a problem but its confirmed it works for anyone. I have no use for the voucher as I don't want to buy another controller from them. There was no problem with the voucher and the sale was valid.

At the time, the voucher did not work. I then based my decisions going forward on what you told me. You offered me a refund, I accepted therefore voiding the transaction at that point.

I understand you don't want/don't need the voucher but do you not think it's wrong to tell me that it's linked to your account and offer me a refund - I accept the refund, I then purchase what I wanted, then you turn around and say, 'actually what I told you was wrong and i don't care if you've already purchased the item you wanted.

I don't think you are acting in the spirit of HUKD.
Are you sure that under the value it was not supposed to be "42.00" or "£42.00"? I've never used a Cex voucher but that seems to make sense to me. Perhaps that it why it was not recognized.

My opinion would be to do the following: The seller withhold the funds and resell the voucher, once the new buyer has confirmed they have used the voucher, then issue this buyer a full refund. Perhaps in your sale you should state that you need the voucher to be used within 24 hours therefore this buyer does not have to wait an excessive period of time.

Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Aug 2015
joshp

Are you sure that under the value it was not supposed to be "42.00" or … Are you sure that under the value it was not supposed to be "42.00" or "£42.00"?My opinion would be to do the following: The seller withhold the funds and resell the voucher, once the buyer has confirmed they have used the voucher, then issue this buyer a full refund. Perhaps in your sale you should state that you need to code to be used within 24 hours therefore this buyer does not have to wait an excessive period of time.

Hi joshp,

I tried it all, 42, 42.00, £42, £42.00. nothing worked.

I literally tried everything as i really wanted the discount.

I would be happy with what you suggested however I feel the seller is now being very underhanded with the whole situation and have lost all trust.

When he originally offered the refund and I accepted I was fully going to leave positive feedback as the situation was just an odd one for both of us and we just couldn't make it work.
jambone

Hi joshp, I tried it all, 42, 42.00, £42, £42.00. nothing worked.I l … Hi joshp, I tried it all, 42, 42.00, £42, £42.00. nothing worked.I literally tried everything as i really wanted the discount.I would be happy with what you suggested however I feel the seller is now being very underhanded with the whole situation and have lost all trust.When he originally offered the refund and I accepted I was fully going to leave positive feedback as the situation was just an odd one for both of us and we just couldn't make it work.

Hello jambone,

I understand what has happened and I feel that would be the best solution for you and the seller. Obviously I cannot enforce anything however that seems the most fair solution. It seems like no one has deliberately done anything wrong at the moment in time and it has just been a little confusion.

If you both look at it from the other persons point of view you can understand the steps they have taken, now you just both need to continue to help each other as you previously have done to resolve the problem.

That is my opinion from someone who has an open view on the situation. I hope both of you manage to resolve this amicably.

Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Aug 2015
Jambone if you have no requirement for the voucher and neither does Ganon, if you have a high resolution photo that can easily be read by anyone, sell it to someone on HUKD for the same and email the photo, someone who has high feedback who you can trust, someone who has bought them before and used them too will help. Say they can pay when they have redeemed the code, hopefully within the same day or couple of days grace and problem solved.

I believe you did everything possible but having used them before I know the receipts can be iffy and without seeing and trying myself, Ganon has been able to confirm it works and CEX have also confirmed this via email. You have a working code and that is what you have paid. My above suggestion may cause a little hassle but since it will all be email based, wont be much effort on your part.

Even though Ganon did offer you a refund, it is upto you that confirm that it absolutely doesnt work, your contract to buy the voucher wasn't based on you being able to order something with it (even though that was your whole intention), that is simply between you and CEX's limited stock.

If it was me, I would refund you. In this case, I dont think it would be fair for anyone to leave negative or positive feedback, not that it really makes a difference, as this thread is easily explained as to what happened.

As you said "lfie is for learning" Sell the code to someone else and move on.
n00dles0up

Jambone if you have no requirement for the voucher and neither does … Jambone if you have no requirement for the voucher and neither does Ganon, if you have a high resolution photo that can easily be read by anyone, sell it to someone on HUKD for the same and email the photo, someone who has high feedback who you can trust, someone who has bought them before and used them too will help. Say they can pay when they have redeemed the code, hopefully within the same day or couple of days grace and problem solved. I believe you did everything possible but having used them before I know the receipts can be iffy and without seeing and trying myself, Ganon has been able to confirm it works and CEX have also confirmed this via email. You have a working code and that is what you have paid. My above suggestion may cause a little hassle but since it will all be email based, wont be much effort on your part. Even though Ganon did offer you a refund, it is upto you that confirm that it absolutely doesnt work, your contract to buy the voucher wasn't based on you being able to order something with it (even though that was your whole intention), that is simply between you and CEX's limited stock.If it was me, I would refund you. In this case, I dont think it would be fair for anyone to leave negative or positive feedback, not that it really makes a difference, as this thread is easily explained as to what happened.As you said "lfie is for learning" Sell the code to someone else and move on.

Hi n00dles0up,

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. I am not comfortable reselling someone else's voucher (which could at worst case double my loss if something else goes wrong - no money and no voucher) and i know they usually go for 80% of face value so don't fancy losing money on it (the only reason I paid more was because I wanted it right away) - not to mention I have no feedback.

I would rather the seller and I were both put back in the same position from before the transaction started.

Hopefully the MOD's will see that from the chain of events, the voucher code did not work for me while the transaction was active. Then the seller and I mutually cancelled the transaction (by way of the seller offering a refund and me accepting it). Only after the point when the sale was cancelled, a few days later did the voucher start working - however by that time the transaction was already cancelled.

I hope the seller realises that I had no reason not to use the voucher, it would have saved me almost 10%! Also if he had not told me that the voucher was linked to his account but instead that there was an error, I would have just had to wait and we would not be in this situation. This is why I feel I should just be refunded because of what the seller told me.

Either way I have my ducks in order in case this needs to go further.

I would have not thought about it being attached to my account until you suggested it. I went out of my way walking it to cex asap.

I haven't got Firefox but tried ie first now just tried chrome but not … I haven't got Firefox but tried ie first now just tried chrome but not working. Maybe it's linked to your account only ?

And its not my fault for being misinformed by a new worker at cex. What ducks you talking about? Is that a threat?
ganon

I would have not thought about it being attached to my account until you … I would have not thought about it being attached to my account until you suggested it. I went out of my way walking it to cex asap.And its not my fault for being misinformed by a new worker at cex. What ducks you talking about? Is that a threat?

I'm not sure why are you being so difficult? can we not just mark this up to a failed transaction and leave it amicably by just returning my money and being done with it?
ganon

I would have not thought about it being attached to my account until you … I would have not thought about it being attached to my account until you suggested it. I went out of my way walking it to cex asap.And its not my fault for being misinformed by a new worker at cex. What ducks you talking about? Is that a threat?

If it was working for me why would I not have used the voucher? I genuinely thought the transaction was over being we agreed on a refund and then heard nothing more from you until a MOD contacted me
jambone

If it was working for me why would I not have used the voucher? I … If it was working for me why would I not have used the voucher? I genuinely thought the transaction was over being we agreed on a refund and then heard nothing more from you until a MOD contacted me

ganon is never going to give your money back , he was probably happy to get shot of that dodgy voucher.

best to leave negative feedback so he has probs selling in the future
Edited by: "shez786" 3rd Aug 2015
shez786

ganon is never going to give your money back , he was probably happy to … ganon is never going to give your money back , he was probably happy to get shot of that dodgy voucher.best to leave negative feedback so he has probs selling in the future

I will give a refund, its only £36. I was only going by what the community were saying
Edited by: "ganon" 3rd Aug 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants