Groups

Help needed. Going to Disneyworld Florida with Dairy, Egg and Wheat Intolerances!

Has anyone been to Disneyworld who suffers with these allergies or intolerances?

I am wondering how I am going to manage to eat out there? I've only been told today, but I must plan ahead and be prepared!

Thankyou for anyones help!

19 Comments

Everyone I know who has been for an allergy test has been told to avoid dairy products - makes me wonder if it is true!

Original Poster

LOL - Maybe I typed up wrong in a hurry - I'm not taking Cow's milk to Florida..

Sorry for not writing dairy (Cheese and Butter came up too)! Obviously I've been feeling poorly hence having the test!

Anyway the question still stands... I need help to plan - I've never been to America before let alone Disneyworld.

Anyone who has an intolerance towards any kind of food product, is well and truly catered for in USA. You won't have any problems in the supermarkets at all.

kyalion;4378870

Anyone who has an intolerance towards any kind of food product, is well … Anyone who has an intolerance towards any kind of food product, is well and truly catered for in USA. You won't have any problems in the supermarkets at all.

Are you sure? Americans don't appear to be intolerant to food - but there must be some slim ones I suppose

Original Poster

Predikuesi;4378880

Are you sure? Americans don't appear to be intolerant to food - but there … Are you sure? Americans don't appear to be intolerant to food - but there must be some slim ones I suppose

Does that mean anyone who is intolerant is slim?

I wonder

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets;4378904

if you are staying at a Disney hotel, ring them and they will make sure … if you are staying at a Disney hotel, ring them and they will make sure they have other items on the menues for you, in fact most hotels and restaurants in Orlando will have items on menu's that are suitable, just remember to tell the seater/host/greeter when you arrive and again the server/waitress/waiter.If you are staying in a villa theres a supermarket called Publix that has tons of foods for special diets.When eating in the theme parks most of the restaurants will have special dietary menu's if requested.

Thankyou very much for your helpful answer - I'll give you some rep in a minute!

I am staying in a disney hotel - courtesy of my MIL. We can't afford to eat in restaurants all the time, so was planning to go to the supermarket for breakfasts and make up a lunch. Hopefully eating at a restaurant later in the day.

It's a great idea to phone the hotel - or email them and ask though.

Butterflies;4378908

Does that mean anyone who is intolerant is slim?I wonder

LOL You are probably right.:-D

The Americans have been catering for people with food intolerances for decades. They use corn based products and fillers unlike the UK and some Euro countries and a lot of Free From ranges over here in supermarkets originated from the States.

All foods are well marked unlike here so you'll be more than safe. Let all eating establishments know when ordering and they will ensure you don't get any products that may adversely affect you.

Have fun x

Original Poster

We are staying at the All Star SPorts I believe

Choc thanks for your info and reassurance too.

It'll be great when I actually start to feel the benefits of cutting out these foods. I've been feeling so beaten up around the abdomen for a long time - it's almost normal to feel uncomfortable for me.

Original Poster

My DH has been taking great delight in teasing me about all the foods I can't have! What a meany - lol

The Ponderosa restaurants are buffet style so you could pick and choose food that's suitable for you. I went more than ten years ago and can still remember the breakfasts there. You could have anything from full English to muffins/pancakes, ereals, jelly, ice cream and cake.
    Well worth going at least once even if it's just to stare at the amount of food that's on offer!

OOh, lucky you, Florida!! You can eat as much meat and salad as you like and some beers, we have food intolerances in our family and a tiny bit on the odd occassion doesn't usually start you off like when you felt ill when you were eating it all the time. My daughter loves cheese but as a lactose intolerant shouldn't touch the stuff.......she sometimes has a little if she needs a laxative, she says it beats those potions on the telly for taste!! How does it affect you ??? We find we have headaches, stomach cramps and of course, upset tummy.

Original Poster

As you've described but luckily I don't suffer headaches, but I have excessive wind as well, and it's very embarrassing. My best friend has been going on at me for over a year to get this test done.

I'm going to miss trying the pancakes - I've taken things for granted up til now - gosh how many things have got wheat, egg or milk in them - EVERYTHING practically. I've bought some pasta and soya bread - I need to go out and get some milk substitute.

Can you recommend the nearest to skimmed cows milk?

Cheers

vinylandtrinkets;4378973

Which hotel are you staying in? as most of the Disney hotels have … Which hotel are you staying in? as most of the Disney hotels have reasonable priced restaurants the only expensive ones are in the deluxe hotels like grand Floridian the only supermarket i wouldnt recommend is Goodings which is on Disney property, they are really really expensive, Publix and Walmart are the cheapest, if you know your way round they are up in Kissemmee and i think they might be on International drive now.Cheaper restaurants in Orlando are Perkins ( love this one), ponderosa this one has a buffet and a menu , TGI fridays, and the steak houses.hope this helpshave a great time

There's a Publix at the 'bottom' of International Drive, near to the Premium Outlets. There's a Walmart on the road where the post office is - anyway easily found!!

Hope you and your family have a fantastic holiday, I think you're going to have a wonderful time.

I dont think you'll have any trouble getting food to eat there that you can eat without upsetting your tummy.

I was in walmart once and they have this kinda rainstorm that comes round over the veggies everyso often. Scared the living daylights out of me! lol

Have a great time sweetie x x x

We haven't been to Florida yet but did travel to New York and Las Vegas recently, my wifes got wheat intolerance and we didnt have many problems finding places where we could eat in either :thumbsup:

The buffets were by far the best as we could both eat something we wanted

Lunch always seems to be the most difficult meal pretty much every option is bread based, we found the equivelant of those uncle bens rice bags which kept us going

Hope you enjoy Florida :-D

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input - I would have said yesterday but I'm having PC problems. DH is going to rebuild it today!

The best one is Lactofree, the one with the cow on it. They used to make Lactolite which was very good and cheap (60p a litre), but they discontinued it and bought out this one at twice the price, same thing as far as I can tell and defo the same manufacturer, just twice as much money.

Original Poster

wendyak;4385258

The best one is Lactofree, the one with the cow on it. They used to make … The best one is Lactofree, the one with the cow on it. They used to make Lactolite which was very good and cheap (60p a litre), but they discontinued it and bought out this one at twice the price, same thing as far as I can tell and defo the same manufacturer, just twice as much money.

Thankyou for your reply, a bit late for todays purchase but I'll get it next time I go shopping.

Today I got Soya Magic light. It was on special offer at 69p. It is OK in tea, but it smells very fragrant as I put the cup to my mouth!

Tesco sell Lactofree for £1.37. I see it is in full fat or semi skimmed. IS it available in skimmed from anywhere. Hmmm maybe I should try the semi-skimmed first.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …268917
      2. word association Game72844189
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764562
      4. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1231

See more discussions