Expired

Help needed installing a wall mount LCD TV

Found 17th Jan 2010
Just a quick question, I know this community has a huge amount of knowledge!

Can I install a wall mountable LCD TV on a chimney breast by using this kit (330379347799 eBay) its a 42inch Samsung

The chimney breast isnt an outside wall; its a little like plaster board as in its hollow

Any help would be appreciated
Anth

15 Comments

I would not do it, A 42" tv is quite heavy and on a hollow wall could be a disaster.

If it falls off you will lose the tv and have a lot of building work to do. Do you wamt to risk it?

Original Poster

jon1000jon;7576006

I would not do it, A 42" tv is quite heavy and on a hollow wall could be … I would not do it, A 42" tv is quite heavy and on a hollow wall could be a disaster.If it falls off you will lose the tv and have a lot of building work to do. Do you wamt to risk it?

Thanks for that

i understand they are heavy thats why i asked and i did read somewhere it needed to be on "an outside" wall

just the layout of the room it would make it soooo much easier if it was mounted on the chimney breast haha

thanks again

Do not fix it to a dry lined hollow wall.

Its very unusual for a chimney breast not be made of a solid brick/block constuction, I would get the chimney checked out if I were you.

Don't know how much a 42" weighs but this says it will take 81Kg and doesn't mention about being on an outside wall.

I have a 32" on an internal platerboard wall and it is fine. I did have similar reservations but there are 6 anchor points. Before i put the TV up i puuled myself up on it. I weigh 15 stone and it didn't budge at all.

As long as you have the correct wall fixings you won't have a problem.

Original Poster

zezlez;7576113

Do not fix it to a dry lined hollow wall.Its very unusual for a chimney … Do not fix it to a dry lined hollow wall.Its very unusual for a chimney breast not be made of a solid brick/block constuction, I would get the chimney checked out if I were you.

the middle is hollow(ish) and sides are bick

notts6501;7576131

Don't know how much a 42" weighs but this says it will take 81Kg and … Don't know how much a 42" weighs but this says it will take 81Kg and doesn't mention about being on an outside wall.I have a 32" on an internal platerboard wall and it is fine. I did have similar reservations but there are 6 anchor points. Before i put the TV up i puuled myself up on it. I weigh 15 stone and it didn't budge at all.As long as you have the correct wall fixings you won't have a problem.

Thanks for this, what fixings would you recommend ?

again thanks all for comments - rep will be added =)

[QUOTE=
Thanks for this, what fixings would you recommend ?

again thanks all for comments - rep will be added =)[/QUOTE]

Some heavy duty plaster board fixings from any DIY shop.

is all your wiring trailing down from the back of the tv still visible ?

I used these ]http//ww…2mm you chimeny breast will be brick at the very back, all i did was attached a brick anchor to some galvanised rope at the very back of the chimeny breast and the other end to the tv just in case it comes off the wall.

Carley;7576683

]this.

Lol although the tv brackets didn't fall off the wall, the tv fell off the bracket

jon1000jon;7576006

I would not do it, A 42" tv is quite heavy and on a hollow wall could be … I would not do it, A 42" tv is quite heavy and on a hollow wall could be a disaster.If it falls off you will lose the tv and have a lot of building work to do. Do you wamt to risk it?

I agree! Its a lot of money to risk!!

hope you've got an extended warranty that covers accidental damage or house insurance that will!

also beware that if theres a working heat source under the tv, a lot of manufacturers will consider that as improper use and void the warranty.

If you are talking about a real chimney breast that is in good condition, hanging a 46 inch LCD should be no problem. I assume you are not putting it on an arm that comes out from the wall by a foot or more.

You need to remember that although there is some weight in the TV it is actually so close to the wall that the majority of the force is downwards and not pulling out from the wall. Brick walls are at there strongest with this kind of force. Use some good expanding fittings as shown in other post and no problems. Remember most fitting are about a brick width or less so they won't really be using the bricks behind.

My dad lives in small house where the wall between his sitting room and Kitchen is one brick thick. Hung and 42 Plasma (very heavy) on it for years. He has now replaced with a 46inch LCD. He is retired and was an engineer all his life. Not much he does not know about forces. I had his old Plasma and have it mounted on an arm where it comes out about 2 feet from the wall on my party wall.

My Brother also has a 42 inch LCD on his chimney. He would not hang a christmas decoration if he thought there was any chance of it falling down.

Main issue with hanging anything is not the wall coming down its the fitting slipping out of the wall. Remember regardless of how thick the wall is you are only holding onto it up to the end of the fitting. Take your time drilling the holes (pay out for a good drill bit). The mounting will then outlive all of us.

Original Poster

thanks for all the comments

might change to a swivel mount and the chimney brest is only 30cm hollow - rest is solid brick so it will mainly attach to brick - hopefully the bits will come with it !

what do you think of this wall mount --> Ebay 230402367136

Original Poster

Carley;7586674

expensive, always bought mine from amazon, ]here's an example over £10 … expensive, always bought mine from amazon, ]here's an example over £10 cheaper, i'm sure someone could find one even cheaper(cheapest i can find ]here for £12.99)

Thanks for that

original post i posted a £12.99 wall mount which looks good, but thinking we may need a swivel mount up and down along with side ways

home bargains has a good swivel one for £16
Post a comment
@
    Text