Groups

Help needed, odour problem

Just bought a couch for the bedroom on ebay, picked it up today, its lovely we are over the moon with it, its only 4 months old and theres not a mark on it but it smells of cigarettes, we have scrubbed it twice but it still smells! We are clean freaks (i think i got ocd), any tips to neutralise the smell

27 Comments

Banned

use some febreze, hate the stuff myself would rather just clean what ever smells but in your case i would use it

Banned

put a couch in a washer? oO

Original Poster

its a leather chaise longe so its in one piece, washing machine not an option, hand wash only

Banned

plan b: start smoking, after a week or so you wont notice the smell

Original Poster

DaveLister

plan b: start smoking, after a week or so you wont notice the smell

ha

**** would probably neutralise the smell of smoke.

The smell usually goes in time. I would not use febreeze because whatever the ads say, it does have its own smell and in a way I find that just as minging as the one you are trying to get rid of lol. I have ocd also lol. Just leave it for a while.

ACM

Original Poster

aircanman

The smell usually goes in time. I would not use febreeze because whatever … The smell usually goes in time. I would not use febreeze because whatever the ads say, it does have its own smell and in a way I find that just as minging as the one you are trying to get rid of lol. I have ocd also lol. Just leave it for a while. ACM

just put up with the smell for a little while? not nice

Yes, it will go in time. It is only smoke. It could be a lot worse.

Buy NEW next time then

Original Poster

pinkleponkle

Buy NEW next time then

credit crunch, plus anyone on here is usually money conscious

I would suggest using a good quality leather dressing.

try leaving it outside in the sun and breeze for a few hours...if possible

A second hand sofa will always smell of something out of the normal to a new owner. That will disappear over time as you become used to it and your smell digs into it. The leaving outside idea is about the best choice.

Try the majority of those on the rock and roll

try tht new febreeze air freshener i use it on my couches its good

My father runs a contract cleaning company so i asked him for you, same advice i had from him when we had issues with some furniture from ebay. First thing you should try to do is isolate the furniture if possible, then sit some cups of white vinegar on and around it for a few days. This will hopefully help to draw out the smell. You can then use lavender oil on a cloth (just a very small amout) to wipe over the fabric as long as it doesnt affect it in anyway, try in a small inconspicuous area first.

You can also sprinkle baking soda over the fabric, leave for a few minutes and vacuum it off.

Just noticed that its leather, leather its self wont really hold the stale smell (a good leather cleaner will deal with it) it will be the filling you can smell, out of interest what is it filled with? and do you have access to it via a zip or something?

Original Poster

dh058977

My father runs a contract cleaning company so i asked him for you, same … My father runs a contract cleaning company so i asked him for you, same advice i had from him when we had issues with some furniture from ebay. First thing you should try to do is isolate the furniture if possible, then sit some cups of white vinegar on and around it for a few days. This will hopefully help to draw out the smell. You can then use lavender oil on a cloth (just a very small amout) to wipe over the fabric as long as it doesnt affect it in anyway, try in a small inconspicuous area first.

Thanks a lot

Original Poster

dh058977

Just noticed that its leather, leather its self wont really hold the … Just noticed that its leather, leather its self wont really hold the stale smell (a good leather cleaner will deal with it) it will be the filling you can smell, out of interest what is it filled with? and do you have access to it via a zip or something?

No its an all in one, its got a foam filling

Original Poster

dh058977

You can also sprinkle baking soda over the fabric, leave for a few … You can also sprinkle baking soda over the fabric, leave for a few minutes and vacuum it off.

This is a recurring answer on google, also a lot of people do not like using febreeze as it has its own smell

gap30

No its an all in one, its got a foam filling

Your best bet really is the vinegar, lavender then. Try the baking soda as well but remember NEVER mix the vinegar with baking soda! lol.
    And im afraid you have to remember, time is a healer! For my furniture the stale smell was overpowered by the vinegar but once that went away after a week or so it was a clean smell.

People always say that both vinegar and smoke are nasty smells but the vinegar smell goes away after a short while, the smoke wouldnt!

gap30

This is a recurring answer on google, also a lot of people do not like … This is a recurring answer on google, also a lot of people do not like using febreeze as it has its own smell

To be honest the baking soda option isnt really suitable for leather, its more for fabrics.

Original Poster

dh058977

Your best bet really is the vinegar, lavender then. Try the baking soda … Your best bet really is the vinegar, lavender then. Try the baking soda as well but remember NEVER mix the vinegar with baking soda! lol.And im afraid you have to remember, time is a healer! For my furniture the stale smell was overpowered by the vinegar but once that went away after a week or so it was a clean smell.People always say that both vinegar and smoke are nasty smells but the vinegar smell goes away after a short while, the smoke wouldnt!

left a bowl of vinegar under the couch about an hour ago, going to see if that helps!

gap30

left a bowl of vinegar under the couch about an hour ago, going to see if … left a bowl of vinegar under the couch about an hour ago, going to see if that helps!

Hope its white vinegar! lol, because its leather you can use a cloth with vinegar on it to wipe it down, followed a few times by just water, dry it and then lavender.

scrub it with baking soda and water. then fabreeze.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction2060
      2. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA810
      3. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.69
      4. Finally got a Xbox one s33

See more discussions