Groups

Help needed please ...thanks

Ok me and the lass are away to move into a flat in the hi street, i looked to see if there was a telephone socket for which there was!

The other day i applied for BT to reconnect the line, now they have sent me an email saying thats there going to charge me £122.33?
    Why can they do this, can they not simply just activate the line again? is there anyway of getting around this?
    U know how SKY do line rental now, can u ask them first to activate the line or does it have to go thru BT first ....then ask SKY to take over rental?

thanks for any help

19 Comments

sky goes thru bt first i believe they can and will charge you stupid monies for turning a signal on so the phone line is activated they charged me £50 and told me it was refunded after my 12 month contract with they IMO its effin ghey of them to do so

look for otehr landline alternities is thebest advice screw you BT

theres no way around the charge. If the property has got a phone line that has not been used in the last 12 months then they do charge the connection fee

You are up a stream without a paddle i'm afraid Saxo. Unless you have Virgin in the area and then you can see how much they'd charge.

and as far as im aware (please correct if wrong) you can ask sky to connect the line which they then arrange through bt but you will still be charged

Here you go Saxo....

From BTs Website

One-off connection charge
    Connecting a new BT line costs £122.33 (incl. VAT). This charge only applies in some cases, but before we can confirm this we need to check your property.
    The charge will automatically appear in your online order basket, however, once you've placed your order and we've checked your property we'll let you know if it still applies.
    If your home has had telephone service from BT in the recent past, and the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has dialling tone, it's likely you won't need to pay this charge. But where there's no suitable BT line available in your property the connection charge may apply
    Most of our new customers find they don't need to pay this charge
    This fee covers engineering work in your exchange or your property in order to connect the line and is subject to survey.

:thumbsup:
    If the charge does apply it will be added to your first BT bill.

Original Poster

So as soon as BT has activated the line i can phone sky to come and install the dish broadband etc

or........is that where im stuck again... do i have to be with BT broadband for a min lenghth first before going to sky BB

No, you don't have to take BT Broadband.........just a phone line.

Original Poster

Dougb yeh there is a socket up there and the line, so hopefully fingers crossed they just need to switch it on lol

Original Poster

thanks Syzable, i heard my mate had to take BT bb for a min of a year then he could change over to any provider....
    but thats cool, as long as i know once the line is switched on ill give sky a call, ill do it thru Lisa and get the New customer (iv had sky before) deal

Happy days !!!! lol

if they have contacted you notifying you of the charge then the chances are they have already checked if there is a dial tone on your line hence issuing you the charge

Original Poster

There is a connection charge of £122.33 (including VAT). Your line rental has a minimum 12 month term. Please note that if you cancel your service within this time, a cancellation charge will be added to your account. The telephone number is ------------. Please note that I cannot guarantee this number until your line is connected. Your telephone number will not be listed in the directory.

I have ordered Unlimited Weekend Plan for your calling plan as requested. This costs £10.27 (for paper free bill and on direct debit as you get the discount of £ 1.23 per month) or £11.50 (for paper bill). Further information on all our available calling plans can be accessed online at: [url]www.bt.com/callchanges[/url].

I was unable to setup the direct debit as you have not provided bank details. Please call our ACE number, 0800 443 311, to setup the direct debit yourself. Signing up of direct debit on your account can save £18 per year or £ 4.50 per quarter by avoiding the payment processing fee.

Please note that all prices include VAT and you can cancel this order up until 12 midday the day before your line is connected and there will be no cancellation charge. We provide telephone service subject to our standard residential terms and conditions. You can read them at [url]www.bt.com/terms[/url].

You will receive your initial bill within 10 working days of your line being connected. This will include some line rental for the current month before you go onto your regular billing period. For information about viewing your bill online, please visit [url]www.bt.com/youraccount[/url].

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me again via e-mail and I will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you for contacting BT.

Yours sincerely,

Looks like im being charged then....before they have even looked at the property, maybe it might still change

sounds like your being charged to me. They dont need to look at the property just their database

Saxo....Just had a thought...are you sure you have a BT socket and not a Cable socket?. It is possible that there is no BT line in the flat and the socket you have is a Cable companies Socket although it would normally say so on it!.

Original Poster

Nah mate, Arbroath doesnt have cable yet

we had to pay it too, even though we have previously been BT customers.

( ripped it out when we had virgin installed...then went to sky )

it would be cheaper to consider Virgin if it had been available, but they are all sharks.

BT will try and get money out of you whether they're due it or not, and that's from experience !!

If it were me, I'd call them up and quote back what their website says and ask how they are charging you when an engineer hasn't even visited your property. which is what they say will happen before they decide whether you are to be charged or not. If you get given a load of flannel that's all rubbish about how they don't need to visit your property after all as they know you have to pay, ask to be put through to a manager and raise the same point with them, that they state this is what will happen so you're not paying until they follow their own written procedures.

Might get you nowhere, or if you're really lucky they might reduce or waive it if you get the right person. I hate paying BT anything, robbing barstewards :-D

Charlie&Lola;4307600

BT will try and get money out of you whether they're due it or not, and … BT will try and get money out of you whether they're due it or not, and that's from experience !!If it were me, I'd call them up and quote back what their website says and ask how they are charging you when an engineer hasn't even visited your property. which is what they say will happen before they decide whether you are to be charged or not. If you get given a load of flannel that's all rubbish about how they don't need to visit your property after all as they know you have to pay, ask to be put through to a manager and raise the same point with them, that they state this is what will happen so you're not paying until they follow their own written procedures.Might get you nowhere, or if you're really lucky they might reduce or waive it if you get the right person. I hate paying BT anything, robbing barstewards :-D

It is a standard charge for all though they wont waive it just if you complain. My husband is a bt engineer and even we had to pay the connection charge

was there not something about Sky paying the connection charge or something if you are going to them? I could have sworn that I read that somewhere, may be worth asking them when you join them.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      2. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions