Groups

Help needed re buying a new stair handrail

We have removed our old handrail as it was dated but were going to buy a Wickes Round Handrail but then the guy at Wickes told me over the phone that the Handrail Bracket couldn't be affixed to a plasterboard wall due to people leaning on the handrail which I think we have:

wickes.co.uk/Sta…491

Is there a way round this as obviously we're going to need some sort of rail up! Any advice gratefully received.

12 Comments

I don't see why not,i've got the same brackets on mine and its a plasterboard wall.

You can fix them to the beams behind the plasteboard if you can find them? As plasterboard alone will not hold them!!

Naeem786;5022388

You can fix them to the beams behind the plasteboard if you can find … You can fix them to the beams behind the plasteboard if you can find them? As plasterboard alone will not hold them!!

Well its holding mine up,was put up about 4 years ago:thumbsup:

deb8z;5022401

Well its holding mine up,was put up about 4 years ago:thumbsup:

Most likely fixed to the beams behind them!! As with the weight of the hand rail and people using it, would have come down ages ago!! ;-)

Original Poster

In our old house we had plasterboard and the rail was held on by brackets but wish I'd paid more attention now!

Naeem786;5022388

You can fix them to the beams behind the plasteboard if you can find … You can fix them to the beams behind the plasteboard if you can find them? As plasterboard alone will not hold them!!

Correct info if it's a stud partition wall fix the brackets to the timber (use a stud finder for this or just tap the wall until you hear a dull thud) or if it is a dot and dab plasterboard then you have to drill to the substrate to fix plugs in and just use longer screws:)

Naeem786;5022439

Most likely fixed to the beams behind them!! As with the weight of the … Most likely fixed to the beams behind them!! As with the weight of the hand rail and people using it, would have come down ages ago!! ;-)

My ex did it,its not fixed to any beams.

Banned

deb8z;5022490

My ex did it,its not fixed to any beams.

It's got to be, plasterboard REALLY wouldn't hold your weight unless it's already loose?

I know Mr Slapdash virtually threw it up lol

Thinking about it,i don't use the handrail,maybe thats why its not fallen down!

lumoruk;5022797

It's got to be, plasterboard REALLY wouldn't hold your weight unless it's … It's got to be, plasterboard REALLY wouldn't hold your weight unless it's already loose?

What weight? i'm not sliding down it or sitting on it:w00t:

Banned

use a piece of rope.

Banned

deb8z;5022855

What weight? i'm not sliding down it or sitting on it:w00t:

I've got a brown stain on mine from doing it naked
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio44
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846165
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764205
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136

See more discussions