Groups

help needed setting up tv

hi i just recieved my new tv from dixons 32 inch samsung lcd.
    i think it as freeview buildin.
    i connected the cable and switched it on:
    1. the picture is crap soo many dots. in the screen does not look like hd.
    2. only 5 normal channels plus about 7 more. where are the freeview channels?

when i select source2 or TV/DTV button which should give me the freeview channels it says signal not found. i want to avoid using a freeview box?
    any stupid mistake i am making.
    i have already done autotune 2 times? help needed

15 Comments

the dtv button should give you the freeview chanels, have you tried tuning on there as well?
    on ours we had to tune normal tv seperate to digital
    as for the dots, i think a lot of lcd look like that, especially if too close

whats your signal like for freeview ? as for the dots welcome to the world of lcd, hd tv's dont do normal analogue or digital as good as a crt tv

1. It wont be HD cause your not runnin through a hd component, and as for freeview do what ruthplaydon said or your freeviw reception isnt good enough hence the lack of channels

You are aware than an lcd has a WORSE picture than an old crt Tv on a normal anologue aerial arent u?

have you got a decent aerial plugged in?

Banned

Press the DTV button, then Menu and do a scan. If you're in a Freeview area you should pick up channels. It's amazing how many people buy plasma or LCD televisions believing that they automatically receive Freeview or get a HD picture.

To get a HD picture you'll need a HD source, Sky, Freesat, HD DVD, Bluray etc.

And lastly, people are often surprised when they see a plasma or lcd picture for the first time. It's NOT like a CRT picture and does take a bit of getting used to. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

im shocked my old crt tv was better - anyway i am running the scan again but again it keeps on saying no signal for the freeview. does it have freeview enabled?

Banned

danib;2574634

im shocked my old crt tv was better - anyway i am running the scan again … im shocked my old crt tv was better - anyway i am running the scan again but again it keeps on saying no signal for the freeview. does it have freeview enabled?

Sounds like you're not in a Freeview area. :x

Original Poster

i just selected the DTV button done a scan it said "0 services found". i just have the tv cable that runs in the back of the tv. do i need anything else for freeview?

Banned

danib;2574679

i just selected the DTV button done a scan it said "0 services found". i … i just selected the DTV button done a scan it said "0 services found". i just have the tv cable that runs in the back of the tv. do i need anything else for freeview?

Go to ]http//ww….uk and tap in your postcode. This'll clear up whether or not you can receive it. Although it's not 100% accurate as it says I can't receive it and yet I've got it!

Original Poster

churchy2704;2574686

Go to ]http://www.freeview.co.uk and tap in your postcode. This'll clear … Go to ]http://www.freeview.co.uk and tap in your postcode. This'll clear up whether or not you can receive it. Although it's not 100% accurate as it says I can't receive it and yet I've got it!

i did that - it says i can receive freeview, i guess its not connected properly.

Banned

danib;2574704

i did that - it says i can receive freeview, i guess its not connected … i did that - it says i can receive freeview, i guess its not connected properly.

So you got your coax from the aerial and it's plugged into the telly.Did you have Freeview (via a box) on the old crt set? Have any of your neighbours got Freeview?

Original Poster

in the old crt set i used a freeview box however do not want to use it as too many remotes then.... ha well i guess no option i will have to use the box again. thanks for the help

Banned

You may need a high gain freeview aerial. Unless you are in a very strong area, normal aerials are insufficient for a proper reception.

You can get a high gain for around £15 at [url]www.screwfix.com[/url]

Banned

danib;2574734

in the old crt set i used a freeview box however do not want to use it as … in the old crt set i used a freeview box however do not want to use it as too many remotes then.... ha well i guess no option i will have to use the box again. thanks for the help

Try a manual scan...... press DTV, Menu and then you should have the option of Automatic or Manual scanning. Go through each number/frequency in turn, it's slower but just might work. I know when I run a scan thru Automatic it doesn't always pick up all the channels. Failing that ring the tv manufacturer. Good luck :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?22
      2. sky q is it a good deal?55
      3. Speccing a gaming pc37
      4. help: windows 10 wifi issue55

See more discussions