Groups

help needed - sony handycam and firewire information

I recently got a sony handycam but the model i got came with no wire (the info in the box says something about an ilink cable) - looked for the ilink cable which is like £30 for the sony one (soooo not paying that) but when i looked it was the little pin that fitted into the handycam and the same on the other end, more investigating brought me to firewire where it also has the same cable but is a male 4 pin thingy to another male 4 thingy (a 4 -4 link cable) - but my computer (bought a whole 2 months ago new) has no hole where a cable like that fits (it's similar to a mini usb but with a large ridge in it) so can anyone who actually owns a sonyhandycam tell me how the hecky thump i'm meant to get the pictures from the stupid thing to the computer as there's no way of slotting the huge tapes into the computer (believe me if i thought i could make it work i'd try it!) HELP ME!

16 Comments

does it use a memory card?

Did you buy it new? you should contact sony or the store you bought it from!

I expect that the connecting end to the camcorder is going to be a specific shape size for that model or for a few models of camcorder so will be expenisve. whats the model?

Original Poster

no memory card slot - its a dcr-hc51e
    we did some video diary for the arts council and they gave us it in return for keeping the diary so they know nothing about it either. in the manual it says an ilink cable is what you need but if you look at the ends of it they're both the same and wont go into my pc!

Does your PC have a firewire port ,If not you can buy a PCI firewire card
    http://www.forevermac.com/mac%20systems/2%20port%20firewire%20card.gif

theres a couple of firewire connections you can use but as your computer doesnt have it you will need to get a firewire card to enable the camera to connect to it

Then you need a firewire to mini firewire cable
    https://id305.securedata.net/pcjoy.com/merchantmanager/images/FW-IEEE-1394A-64-6FT.jpg

Original Poster

there are loads of firewire cables and they all fit into the camera end but other than a usb connection ive no idea how its meant to go into the pc and theres no firewire with a usb connection so im really really confused

Original Poster

numptyj;7415542

theres a couple of firewire connections you can use but as your computer … theres a couple of firewire connections you can use but as your computer doesnt have it you will need to get a firewire card to enable the camera to connect to it

aaaaah!!! you people know what i need!! excellent - ok i can do that - so i need to get one of those firewire cables (is it the 4-6 or the 4-4) and a firewire card - see they dont tell you about any of that - no wonder i had no clue!! simple as modifying your pc - hee hee - well rep added to everyone who helped me - thanks xxx

Original Poster

babybutton;7415579

aaaaah!!! you people know what i need!! excellent - ok i can do that - so … aaaaah!!! you people know what i need!! excellent - ok i can do that - so i need to get one of those firewire cables (is it the 4-6 or the 4-4) and a firewire card - see they dont tell you about any of that - no wonder i had no clue!! simple as modifying your pc - hee hee - well rep added to everyone who helped me - thanks xxx

oops to me and my double posting

not sure what to suggest there is an ilink cable on ebay item no 320466837840 £4.59 but it is firewire so if you are going to use it a lot then maybe invest in a firewire card for your pc!

If you are just going to be watching the footage then try this ebay item 370312874901 which will allow you to plug it into your tv as it has red yellow white outputs and also s-video which

Firewire doesn't tend to be anywhere near as standard as USB even on new PCs - as per above you need to get a firewire card to fit to your PC. A word of warning is that while the camcorder may offer a USB connection, stick with firewire as that's how the camera is meant to work with the USB just being a waste of time.

John

Johnmcl7;7415627

Firewire doesn't tend to be anywhere near as standard as USB even on new … Firewire doesn't tend to be anywhere near as standard as USB even on new PCs - as per above you need to get a firewire card to fit to your PC. A word of warning is that while the camcorder may offer a USB connection, stick with firewire as that's how the camera is meant to work with the USB just being a waste of time.John

this camera shouldnt be able to use a usb

hc51 i believe is a for mini dv so will be the only way it can be connected

Original Poster

masterruckus;7415611

not sure what to suggest there is an ilink cable on ebay item no … not sure what to suggest there is an ilink cable on ebay item no 320466837840 £4.59 but it is firewire so if you are going to use it a lot then maybe invest in a firewire card for your pc!If you are just going to be watching the footage then try this ebay item 370312874901 which will allow you to plug it into your tv as it has red yellow white outputs and also s-video which

have got the wires for watching it on the tv but wanted to put it onto disk for my dad - amazons got everything i need for real cheap in any case just wasnt aware that i'd have to modify my poor baby pc!

best to buy one of the firewire cards auggested above but make sure your pc has the right connector for them and buy that firewire wire that i suggested should sort it out

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;7415627

Firewire doesn't tend to be anywhere near as standard as USB even on new … Firewire doesn't tend to be anywhere near as standard as USB even on new PCs - as per above you need to get a firewire card to fit to your PC. A word of warning is that while the camcorder may offer a USB connection, stick with firewire as that's how the camera is meant to work with the USB just being a waste of time.John

numptyj;7415639

this camera shouldnt be able to use a usbhc51 i believe is a for mini dv … this camera shouldnt be able to use a usbhc51 i believe is a for mini dv so will be the only way it can be connected

yeah no memory card slot or usb port - oh the joys of the technological revolution confusing me for years to come!!!! i remember when i had to butcher my pc with a decent graphics card about 10 years ago as apparently decent graphics to run games didn't come as standard - now you can't even connect to your accessories as standard - ::sigh:: well i have thwarted sony's evil plan to confuse me by finding the answers on HUKD!! once again thank you all for your support and you know i still find it odd that any (literally any) problem i ever seem to have can be answered by people on this forum! xxx (love you all!!!)

lol its even better than yahoo answers

It's just a warning as a friend had a Sony camcorder that had both USB and firewire, he connected it via USB and the capture quality was poor. I told him to purchase a firewire cable which gave full control of the camcorder from the PC and the quality was very good with no dropped frames.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Important info for Ryanair customers1929
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767284
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047118
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1527

See more discussions