Help needed valuing animation cell

21 replies
Found 15th Jan 2009
I've just been having a tidy out of some cupboards and found a gift an ex bought me years ago, literally gathering dust.

Its an original cell from the animation 'Akira', consisting of a painted acetate and a line drawing underneith, which has a few notes on it.

Its not of any major part of the movie, looks to be a chase scene down some stairs of an escalator, to be honest its been so long since I saw the film I don't recognise the exact scene.

Anyway, it struck me as the sort of thing that might, possibly, be worth something and would certainly be better in the hands of a collector than getting dusty in a cupboard.

I've checked ebay and drawn a complete blank, had a quick google and all i found was some guys private collection of much, much better cells, so I dunno where to go from here... any ideas?

21 Comments

PM mikebeaver

Original Poster

cheers, will do!

Can I have it/buy it?

Original Poster

cdemico;4084435

Can I have it/buy it?

well if I can find out what its worth, if its worth anything at all, I'll be selling it - unless you've got some idea of value cdemico?

btw - I loved labyrinth as a kid, my sister and I practically wore out the video we had

Would you be so kind as to upload an image of it please?

chrishill;4086005

well if I can find out what its worth, if its worth anything at all, I'll … well if I can find out what its worth, if its worth anything at all, I'll be selling it - unless you've got some idea of value cdemico? btw - I loved labyrinth as a kid, my sister and I practically wore out the video we had

I have absolutly no idea about the value. But Akira is awesome.

Labryinth is still amazing (I have it on DVD:oops:), David bowie in lycra, muppets, lyrics like 'Slap that baby make him cry' and a huge princess dress that every girl wants. Whats not to love?!? lol

Hello Quacky! Long time not speaks!

Original Poster

images, as requested. Like I said, its not really a 'key' moment in the film, I'd imagine it'll devalue it a bit but I really don't know! I'm still to find out what its worth.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2drcqo0.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2eoyuxc.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2yoej5d.jpg

Ah man... I don't know why but that is Über kewlies... I wantz it... *starts putting money on the table*... how much? :w00t:

Original Poster

quackstar84;4106194

Ah man... I don't know why but that is Über kewlies... I wantz it... … Ah man... I don't know why but that is Über kewlies... I wantz it... *starts putting money on the table*... how much? :w00t:

As soon as I can get a decent valuation for it I'll let you know, on one hand I don't wan't to say "£20!" and find out its worth WAY more and on the other hand I don't want to say "£200!" and find out its worth next to nowt! I guess the fact I can't find ANY on ebay is a sign of its rarity?

Are these cells taken from the 25FPS?

Can't be 25FPS in a anime... wonder how many it is...

Original Poster

I think the majority of the direct-to-video stuff was shot lower than 24fps, but Akira had a massive (for Anime) budget and I'm fairly sure it was done at 24fps.

Original Poster

decided to stick it on ebay guys: 190281374707

have you seen the completed listings?

Original Poster

no... should I have? I've had a look and can't find anything currently for sale or completed! have I missed them somehow?

Others have sold for £600+

Original Poster

clearly I'm searching for the wrong thing here - 'akira cell' and completed listings brings nothing up for me?

i just copied your title and stuck in in completed. lol.

Try this: 380090257016

Original Poster

Titchimp;4124766

Others have sold for £600+

Titchimp;4124782

http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__Akira-Animation-cel_W0QQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_nkwZAkiraQ20AnimationQ20celQ20QQ_cqrZtrueQQ_dmdZ1QQ_in_kwZ1QQ_ipgZ50QQ_nkwuscZAkiraQ20AnimationQQ_nkwuscZCellQQ_oexkwZQQ_okwZAkiraQ20AnimationQ20CellQQ_sopZ12QQ_udhiZQQ_udloZOnly difference between them and yours is whats happening.

That would have been handy before I listed it but hey ho! I'll stick a nice fat 'buy it now' on there and leave it up to fate.

to be honest, my cell isn't really as good as the ones in the completed listings... £20 looks like its really cheap, but £600+ is highly optimistic!

Original Poster

*cough* slight revision of price in light of the above! cheers for the help Titchimp, repped
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win Google Pixel 2 or a Google Pixel 2 XL11
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition69774
    3. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54

See more discussions