Groups

Help needed with asp scripting

Hi

Any ASP coder's in here.

Ive set up a web page which asks for a username and password.

What i need now is help with scriping the following.

if user1 & password 1 are correct redirect to = userpage1.asp
    if user2 & password 2 are correct redirect to = userpage2.asp
    if user3& password 3 are correct redirect to = userpage3.asp

is this possible with out databases ?

18 Comments

what do you mean by user 1 & password 1

just static user names e.g admin admin ?

how many users are you planning of having ?

is this production or playing if it is just playing just hard code it

Original Poster

moulez;5656362

what do you mean by user 1 & password 1 just static user names e.g admin … what do you mean by user 1 & password 1 just static user names e.g admin admin ?how many users are you planning of having ?is this production or playing if it is just playing just hard code it

i mean

if user one enter there username and password as

admin1 and password then they will get directed to userpage1.asp

if user 2 enter there username and password as

admin2 and password then they will get directed to userpage2.asp

hope that makes more sense

is there a limited amount of users (i.e. can you hard code the usernames etc ) or do you want to add users in this system ?

if not just have a massive if statement for each user

Pusedo code:

if(username=="user1"&&pass=="pass"){
    // direct to page 1 for that user
    }
    else if(username=="user2"&&pass=="pass2"){

}

if u need more than a set ammount you will have to read in from file if you dont want to store on a DB

another option is to have a massive array of users but this wont be persistant e.g. when it restarts any new users u add will be lost

Original Poster

moulez;5657214

if not just have a massive if statement for each user Pusedo … if not just have a massive if statement for each user Pusedo code:if(username=="user1"&&pass=="pass"){// direct to page 1 for that user }else if(username=="user2"&&pass=="pass2"){}if u need more than a set ammount you will have to read in from file if you dont want to store on a DB another option is to have a massive array of users but this wont be persistant e.g. when it restarts any new users u add will be lost

there will only be about 5 users, i will give your sulotion a go over the weekend. many thanks

will let you know how i get on :thumbsup:

Original Poster

ive been playin with the code, but it still doesnt work. this is my code below

Sub CheckLoginForm
    'check if the value of the text field 'username' and 'password' are correct
    If Request.Form("username") = "mic" AND Request.Form("password") = "pass" Then
    Session("BlnLoggedIn") = True
    Response.Redirect "svideo1.asp"
    If Request.Form("username") = "mic2" AND Request.Form("password") = "pass2" Then
    Session("BlnLoggedIn") = True
    Response.Redirect "svideo2.asp"
    Else
    'if the values entered are incorrect then display the message below
    Response.Write "
    You are not logged in.

"
    ShowLoginForm
    End If
    End Sub
    %>

hi there

it looks like you may have already seen this but have you tried this link

codefixer.com/tut…asp

it is a good tutorial on how to get it up and running, the code you pasted doesn't have any obvious problems so im thinking it may be a problem else where, it may be worth breaking the if statement down in to obvious things to make sure the re-direct thing works etc

let me know how you get on

Original Poster

moulez;5672332

hi there it looks like you may have already seen this but have you tried … hi there it looks like you may have already seen this but have you tried this link http://www.codefixer.com/tutorials/password_protect.aspit is a good tutorial on how to get it up and running, the code you pasted doesn't have any obvious problems so im thinking it may be a problem else where, it may be worth breaking the if statement down in to obvious things to make sure the re-direct thing works etclet me know how you get on

hi there

ive got it to work so 1 user can login but it doesnt work for the 2nd and 3rd users

i spotted your problem there i think

incorrect login in your if statements

you go ....

if user1 then
    if user2 then
    else

this means if it is not user on or user two it will break because the else will pick it up

it should be

if user1 then{
    log user1
    }
    else if user2 then{
    log user 2
    }
    else if user3 then{
    log user 3
    }
    else{
    "no users match so end it "
    }

i think this may be related to your problem

p.s. this is the syntax you should be using

If A=B Then
    response.write "A is equal to B"
    ElseIf A=C
    response.write "A is equal to C"
    ElseIf A=D
    response.write "A is equal to D"
    Else
    response.write "A doesn't equal any of them"
    End If
    %>

hope this helps

Hmmmm, any particular reason you want to do it that way? That's about as secure as a jelly padlock.

First things first, you should set the Session("BlnLoggedIn") = False before the If statements.

Also the second 'If' statement should be 'ElseIf' like moulez has suggested.

yer im assuming this is a project or a proof of concept or something as this isn't "industry standard" when it comes to log on pages

Original Poster

cheers guy, but how would i script the following to work?

If A=B Then
    response.write "A is equal to B"
    ElseIf A=C
    response.write "A is equal to C"
    ElseIf A=D
    response.write "A is equal to D"
    Else
    End If
    %>

would it be something like

If user=user1 Then
    response.redirect "page1.asp"
    ElseIf user=user2
    response.redirect "page2.asp"
    ElseIf user=user3
    response.redirect "page3.asp"
    Else
    End If
    %>

rashriaz;5679585

cheers guy, but how would i script the following to work?If A=B … cheers guy, but how would i script the following to work?If A=B Thenresponse.write "A is equal to B"ElseIf A=Cresponse.write "A is equal to C"ElseIf A=Dresponse.write "A is equal to D"Elseresponse.write "A doesn't equal any of them"End If%>would it be something likeIf user=user1 Thenresponse.redirect "page1.asp"ElseIf user=user2response.redirect "page2.asp"ElseIf user=user3response.redirect "page3.asp"Elseresponse.write "A doesn't equal any of them"End If%>

Pseudocode fine to me, are you still having problems?

If Request.Form("username") = "mic" AND Request.Form("password") = "pass" … If Request.Form("username") = "mic" AND Request.Form("password") = "pass" Then response.redirect "page1.asp"ElseIf Request.Form("username") = "mic2" AND Request.Form("password") = "pass2" response.redirect "page2.asp"ElseIf Request.Form("username") = "mic3" AND Request.Form("password") = "pass2" response.redirect "page3.asp"Else response.write "A doesn't equal any of them"End If%>

your looking for something close to this

just your orig code with else ifs in to make the logic work

Original Poster

if not tried it yet, will give it a go later

thanks

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, espically moulez

Now working perfectly

Dont worry about it mate

i understand how hard it is to get your head around this stuff at the start

good to hear its working
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2111019
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553770
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?58
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767186

See more discussions