Groups

Help needed with cement?

Hi guys,
    I want to make up some cement for edging around a driveway,but don't know how much I need or if I also need gravel as well as sharp sand?
    Was going to order 3x 25kg bags & 9x25kg bags of sand (3 sand to 1 cement),but sounds like a hell of a lot for what I'm doing. The driveway measures 17 foot in length & 4 foot in width x 2 as I'm add red stones to the other side near fence.

Any guidance would be more than welcome :-)

Photo of driveway in first photo.

16 Comments

Original Poster

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/driveway_zps779kvnac.jpg

I think you mean concrete.

Original Poster

kester76

I think you mean concrete.

Yes lol :-/

I would use gravel for strength. I'd check the ratio online it is something like 1:2:4 or 1:3:6 (cement, sand, gravel) I cant remember! How wide are these strips gonna be, and how deep? (It does sound a lot)

Might be nicer to have block pavers? cemented around the edge instead of concrete? And less to mix (unless you have a cement mixer handy)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJdQ021MOcmirn3Z4vzDiOvefRztyvOSvjemklZPCgViwgnJPO

Original Poster

I've already bought the edging.
    mkmbs.co.uk/pro…ng/

Wouldn't ready mix be more appropriate for what your doing? Buying separately is more for when your doing larger projects imo. Besides, it's easier to take the unused bags back to the store to me.

I'm not sure if you should just cut a trench, throw some concrete down and lay the edge. Or go deeper, have a gravel layer (compacted) for drainage, concrete foundation, let it set then add mortar and edging.. The latter could be overkill but am not sure if the former is the right way.
    If it were me, I'd do a small foundation but as for how much to buy, I'd pick up several bags -do some laying then work out how much more.

Original Poster

118luke

Wouldn't ready mix be more appropriate for what your doing? Buying … Wouldn't ready mix be more appropriate for what your doing? Buying separately is more for when your doing larger projects imo. Besides, it's easier to take the unused bags back to the store to me.

I'm thinking I need around 30 litres & so would need around around 4 of those 5 litre fast mixes.

splatsplatsplat

I'm not sure if you should just cut a trench, throw some concrete down … I'm not sure if you should just cut a trench, throw some concrete down and lay the edge. Or go deeper, have a gravel layer (compacted) for drainage, concrete foundation, let it set then add mortar and edging.. The latter could be overkill but am not sure if the former is the right way. If it were me, I'd do a small foundation but as for how much to buy, I'd pick up several bags -do some laying then work out how much more.

This is all new to me.I was going to make a channel around the red stones & drop the concrete in & then add each edging.

118luke

Wouldn't ready mix be more appropriate for what your doing? Buying … Wouldn't ready mix be more appropriate for what your doing? Buying separately is more for when your doing larger projects imo. Besides, it's easier to take the unused bags back to the store to me.

splatsplatsplat

I'm not sure if you should just cut a trench, throw some concrete down … I'm not sure if you should just cut a trench, throw some concrete down and lay the edge. Or go deeper, have a gravel layer (compacted) for drainage, concrete foundation, let it set then add mortar and edging.. The latter could be overkill but am not sure if the former is the right way. If it were me, I'd do a small foundation but as for how much to buy, I'd pick up several bags -do some laying then work out how much more.

I always tend to buy more than I need - then return the unused bags to the store for a refund
    But I'd be rubbish at estimating how many you would actually use. Think the back of the bags give a fair estimate of expected coverage though.

Original Poster

118luke

I always tend to buy more than I need - then return the unused bags to … I always tend to buy more than I need - then return the unused bags to the store for a refund :)But I'd be rubbish at estimating how many you would actually use. Think the back of the bags give a fair estimate of expected coverage though.

Do you know if a 5 litre fast dry becomes say 10 litres once you've added water?

WheresMeNuts

Do you know if a 5 litre fast dry becomes say 10 litres once you've added … Do you know if a 5 litre fast dry becomes say 10 litres once you've added water?

No - when adding the water there will be no significant change in the volume as the voidage of the sharp sand is filled with the cement and water.

Have a look at this - it gives details on how to install.

pavingexpert.com/edg…htm

Edited by: "Van1973" 5th Jun

At a depth of 6",you'll need 34 square feet so I reckon you'll need more than what you have stated.

Definitely need gravel too to avoid future cracking

34 cubic feet or 1.259 cubic yards or 0.963 cubic meters.
    If pre-mixed concrete*, it is 4,522 lbs or 2,050.706 kgs.
    If 60 lbs per bag, it is 75.367 bags.
    If 80 lbs per bag, it is 56.525 bags

So 2000kg of sand, cement, gravel! oO

I trust you have done this before as it isn't as easy as it looks

Edited by: "chocci" 5th Jun

Original Poster

chocci

At a depth of 6",you'll need 34 square feet so I reckon you'll need more … At a depth of 6",you'll need 34 square feet so I reckon you'll need more than what you have stated. Definitely need gravel too to avoid future cracking34 cubic feet or 1.259 cubic yards or 0.963 cubic meters.If pre-mixed concrete*, it is 4,522 lbs or 2,050.706 kgs.If 60 lbs per bag, it is 75.367 bags.If 80 lbs per bag, it is 56.525 bagsSo 2000kg of sand, cement, gravel! oOI trust you have done this before as it isn't as easy as it looks

I'm not making a football field lol.
    It's only a channel around the red stones & No I've never did this before.Will just order 2x25kg bags of cement,sand & gravel then see how it develops lol.

WheresMeNuts42 m ago

I'm not making a football field lol.It's only a channel around the red …I'm not making a football field lol.It's only a channel around the red stones & No I've never did this before.Will just order 2x25kg bags of cement,sand & gravel then see how it develops lol.

LOL - why not give proper dimensions of what you are planning to do then? You wont get any accurate answers to just say "Its only a channel".

Why do you even need a channel?

Original Poster

chocci

LOL - why not give proper dimensions of what you are planning to do then? … LOL - why not give proper dimensions of what you are planning to do then? You wont get any accurate answers to just say "Its only a channel".Why do you even need a channel?

Channel may not be the correct term, but it's the only way I can best describe it.
    In total it will be 84 feet of concrete poured in to the channels at around 2"-3" deep & width will be around 60-70mm
    Not sure if that explains it?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844453
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1957
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?24
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value26

See more discussions