Groups

Help needed with HDMI cable

I am planning on buying a HDMI cable to join my laptop to the TV. Will I need an audio cable as well?
    The prices seem to vary such a lot too. You can get them from £1.99 to £250 on Amazon. What sort of thing do I look for?
    I was going to get a 3m cable so that I could on the sofa but will the quality deteriorate over this length?
    Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.

11 Comments

Banned

OMG, please nobody rise to the bait >>>>>>>

To clarify,

A £1.99 cable will suffice, its a digital signal so no noticable difference
    3m is a relatively short length, so the will be no degredation (20m + Before any noticable difference)

Just make sure you buy the right type of cable, I.e. HDMI>HDMI, ...... HDMI>HDMI Mini ........... HDMI>DVI

there will be not lose of quality at 3m, so you need a cheap one, no point in spending loads on a hdmi cable they all do the same thing as its a digital signal not a analogue signal

Banned

Grabbed one from
    poundland for my laptop video and sound comes through tv via the hdmi output on the laptop, no need for audio cables.

lottysdad08;8595164

OMG, please nobody rise to the bait To clarify, A £1.99 cable will … OMG, please nobody rise to the bait >>>>>>>To clarify, A £1.99 cable will suffice, its a digital signal so no noticable difference3m is a relatively short length, so the will be no degredation (20m + Before any noticable difference)Just make sure you buy the right type of cable, I.e. HDMI>HDMI, ...... HDMI>HDMI Mini ........... HDMI>DVI

wickedteen;8595166

there will be not lose of quality at 3m, so you need a cheap one, no … there will be not lose of quality at 3m, so you need a cheap one, no point in spending loads on a hdmi cable they all do the same thing as its a digital signal not a analogue signal

^^ as above. Don't listen to any advertising twaddle - digital signals don't care about gold connectors/oxygen free copper/free radicals/linear magnetic distribution etc etc etc - . Just buy the cheapest one you can get.

The only reason to spend a little more would be to get good quality connectors as it sounds like you are likely to be plugging the laptop end in and out quite a bit and HDMI connectors are a little fragile.

Dave

i bought a 5m one for my desktop pc from ebay the other day for £4.30, works perfectly.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I'll go for the cheapest one then, you've all saved me some money!

zavvi £1.95 for a 2 meter free delivery

omg close the thread quickly before someone comes in claiming there is a difference and you need to spend £80

lottysdad08;8595164

OMG, please nobody rise to the bait To clarify, A £1.99 cable will … OMG, please nobody rise to the bait >>>>>>>To clarify, A £1.99 cable will suffice, its a digital signal so no noticable difference3m is a relatively short length, so the will be no degredation (20m + Before any noticable difference)Just make sure you buy the right type of cable, I.e. HDMI>HDMI, ...... HDMI>HDMI Mini ........... HDMI>DVI

Ive found out thats not true. I have to spend some money now and get better quality cables because of people saying the cheap ones are fine.

deathtrap3000;8600804

Ive found out thats not true. I have to spend some money now and get … Ive found out thats not true. I have to spend some money now and get better quality cables because of people saying the cheap ones are fine.

it was proven on the gadget show that the cheap ones were as good if not better then the expensive ones, obviously you dont buy too cheap

wickedteen;8605076

it was proven on the gadget show that the cheap ones were as good if not … it was proven on the gadget show that the cheap ones were as good if not better then the expensive ones, obviously you dont buy too cheap

Yeh and that was my point, dont buy too cheap or you will regret it - like I do.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Apples new update610
      2. Any PS4 News Here29313799
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1841335
      4. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2425

See more discussions