Groups

*** help needed *** with lcd tv and xbox360 vga cable

i have recently bought my self a samsung lcd,,,,and i have tried connecting my xbox360 using a vga cable ( for hd reasons),,,,,,,,but all i can get when playing is picture and no sound,,,,ive plugged the attached phono jacks in all red an white points on my telly,,,,,,,but cant get the sound to work,,,,,,,has anyone els overcome this problem and if so can you tell me how you did it,,,,thanks in advance

9 Comments

I think you need seprate speakers, i put it into my surround sound system.

what vga lead you use? vga leads on their own dont carry sound

On my Samsung TVs the phono input ports are for DVI only - if you want sound with VGA you need to use a 3.5mm sound input (headphone port), which means you'd need a cable to convert the phono ends on your VGA cable to a 3.5mm jack.

Double check the back of your TV and try matching up the audio ports to the video inputs, give us a model number if you can (I know Samsing model numbers are long and complicated).

John

Original Poster

thanks for the replies,,,the model number is

le40m86bd

would rather not have to use a surround sound system,,,,,,,,,,so if any one knows of another soloution i would be gratefull

I believe the problem and solution are exactly as I've described above - you need a cable to go from the phono ends of your VGA cable to the 3.5mm input on your TV. Looking at the picture here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/hdtv/Samsung-LE40M86BD/rear-connection.jpg

There appears to be a 3.5mm audio port right beside the vga port.

John

easiest thing to do would be to run a optical cable from the back of the 360 to the tv, thats how i have my hdtv connected and it works fine

Original Poster

john,,,,do you know were,i could get an adapter or what its called so i know what iam looking for,thanks for you help m8

gib ive got a core so theres no were to plug an audio cable

robbo32

gib ive got a core so theres no were to plug an audio cable

there should be a small socket on the back of the vga cable, on the end that connects to the 360. it will most likely be covered by a protruding plastic cover. its on all vga cables!

robbo32

john,,,,do you know were,i could get an adapter or what its called so i … john,,,,do you know were,i could get an adapter or what its called so i know what iam looking for,thanks for you help m8gib ive got a core so theres no were to plug an audio cable

Assuming your vga cable has two phono plugs (one red and one white) I think you're looking for something like this:

maplin.co.uk/Mod…0m5

This may no be convenient in the back of your TV so you may also need a 3.5mm extension lead or a cable with two phono inputs.

You will need to check the manual for your TV though to double check the audio connection, I'm guessing that's the case but my Samsung TVs are a different model so may not be identical.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. O2 priority £1 lunch to end for good77
      2. Your dream gaming set up?2760
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4562135
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764691

See more discussions