Groups

Help needed with outlook filters

I think its filters that I need to play around with.

I want to forward a COPY of all received email in outlook (MS exchange) to my gmail address. I know this is possible because Ive done it before in an older version of outlook ! But for the life of me, cannot remember how I did it.

So, I want outlook to accept emails as usual but want copies on my gmail account. This is so that I can respond to emails when I am away from the computer using my nokia phone (company are too stingy to provide me a blackberry!)

Thanks all

15 Comments

I usually use the out of offce tool which has the filters

Original Poster

Could you elaborate please ?

If your company is using Exchange Server, you'll need to be aware that unless your gmail account is in the GAL (Global Address List), any rule you setup will be client-side only - meaning you need to be logged into Outlook or the rule won't work.

To make it server-side, you'll need your gmail address added to the GAL, which may be even more hassle depending on where you work.

Original Poster

I managed to sort it out using this method

kb.iu.edu/dat…tml

Thanks.

Now I just need to forward emails that have been received in the inbox folder on outlook, not all emails!

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;4862651

If your company is using Exchange Server, you'll need to be aware that … If your company is using Exchange Server, you'll need to be aware that unless your gmail account is in the GAL (Global Address List), any rule you setup will be client-side only - meaning you need to be logged into Outlook or the rule won't work.To make it server-side, you'll need your gmail address added to the GAL, which may be even more hassle depending on where you work.

I see what you mean. It wouldve been ok , as I could leave my machine on, but I connect to outlook using a token and it sometimes times out so if that happens when i am out ... im mullered.

Any other methods ?

do you have access to the server itself?

Original Poster

looks like Xb0xGuru was spot on - wont happen if a serve-side rule is applied.
    Anyone know how to set a client-side rule for this ? better than nothing at all I suppose!

Original Poster

kmac;4862974

do you have access to the server itself?

If you mean the mail server - no. Its the mail server of the company I work for.

Cyrus;4862996

If you mean the mail server - no. Its the mail server of the company I … If you mean the mail server - no. Its the mail server of the company I work for.

I have done this quite a few times. If your company knows you need this then they should have no problem sorting it for you.

I normally do it by creating a mail enabled contact in AD Users & computers and hide it from exchange address lists - no one will see it client side - in this contact put your google email address.

Next choose Your user account in AD under exhcange general tab of your user account there will be a delivery options, In there there is a box that says forward all email to... - Pick your mail enabled contact you have just created. Then make sure you tick the box below saying forward to both email addresses, This means you will get a copy as well in your inbox and on your phone.

Hopefully this is what your looking for, Any questions give me a shout,

Original Poster

kmac;4863080

I have done this quite a few times. If your company knows you need this … I have done this quite a few times. If your company knows you need this then they should have no problem sorting it for you.I normally do it by creating a mail enabled contact in AD Users & computers and hide it from exchange address lists - no one will see it client side - in this contact put your google email address.Next choose Your user account in AD under exhcange general tab of your user account there will be a delivery options, In there there is a box that says forward all email to... - Pick your mail enabled contact you have just created. Then make sure you tick the box below saying forward to both email addresses, This means you will get a copy as well in your inbox and on your phone.Hopefully this is what your looking for, Any questions give me a shout,

top man!! Will give this a try and get back with the results.
    Goes without saying, Rep+ for everyone

Original Poster

question : by AD, do you mean Active directory ? If so, Im pretty sure I cant access this as an employee.

Cyrus;4863144

top man!! Will give this a try and get back with the results.Goes without … top man!! Will give this a try and get back with the results.Goes without saying, Rep+ for everyone

Cyrus;4863208

question : by AD, do you mean Active directory ? If so, Im pretty sure I … question : by AD, do you mean Active directory ? If so, Im pretty sure I cant access this as an employee.

yes, you will probably need to ask a network admin to do it, Unless you know the admin password for the server and Remote desktop onto the server and do it yourself

Cyrus;4863208

question : by AD, do you mean Active directory ? If so, Im pretty sure I … question : by AD, do you mean Active directory ? If so, Im pretty sure I cant access this as an employee.

"bog standard" employees will NOT have access to the active directory !!

Original Poster

Babbabooey;4863285

"bog standard" employees will NOT have access to the active directory !!

Yup, Im a bog standard employee.

Server side rules have nothing to do with where the changes are made. For instance, you can setup a server-side rule via Outlook or AD.

Client-side rules are used when the Outlook application needs to interact with a component outside of the Active Directory configuration (i.e archiving email to a local disk or network share which requires further (outside) authentication). You want to avoid client-side rules as you'll need Outlook running for them to take effect.

Contact your IT department and get them to add your gmail account to the Global Address List / Global Catalog. As long as your Exchange Server can see the address in the GAL/GC it'll appear as a server side rule.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions