Help - New job offer (Zero-Hour Contract)

Found 10th Dec 2013
Hello everyone. This afternoon I received a phone call from Angard Staffing on my job application to work at a Royal Mail depot. I was informed I had been successful in my application and was asked if I would be available to work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (8 hours each shift) this week, I said yes. The problem for me though is that it's a zero hour contract and I'm already contracted to work 20 hours a week at my current job on night-shift, which I hate but I've survived two months so far. Just wanted to ask for people's opinion's on what I should maybe do. Many thanks in advance to all you HUKD folk.
Community Updates
MiscMobile Phone
20 Comments
Why did you say yes to three, eight hour shifts if you knew you were committed to working elsewhere?
Or do you mean you've agreed to be available on those three days, but they will only select you if needed?
I wouldn't go for it, stick to your permanent contracted job which will last longer than the xmas period.
this is RM's xmas rush you will get 4-6 weeks work... then laid off til easter....

dont rely on this work at all...

take the extra hrs for now njoy the money... its only short term!
Original Poster
They asked if I'd be available to work them days and I said yeah.
Original Poster
Thank you to all by the way.

week at my current job on night-shift, which I hate but I've survived two … week at my current job on night-shift, which I hate but I've survived two months so far.

Come see me when you come on shift, I will have your P45 ready and waiting,
yours sincerely
Your Boss
Original Poster
harlzter

Come see me when you come on shift, I will have your P45 ready and … Come see me when you come on shift, I will have your P45 ready and waiting,yours sincerelyYour Boss

Lol.
GhettoPunk

Lol.

Dont know why but whenever someone says something negative about their work I get the vision of an angry boss finding out and posting something like that.
the more people except zero hour contracts the more we are slipping back to victorian era employment rights, if only there were some coal mines left i could send my kids down the pits.
Original Poster
harlzter

Dont know why but whenever someone says something negative about their … Dont know why but whenever someone says something negative about their work I get the vision of an angry boss finding out and posting something like that.

Aye, me too. I'm gonna talk to him before start of shift. Seems an alright fella to talk to.
Original Poster
nickc74

the more people except zero hour contracts the more we are slipping back … the more people except zero hour contracts the more we are slipping back to victorian era employment rights, if only there were some coal mines left i could send my kids down the pits.

I've got pal's who are on these sort of contract's and they're alright with them. Just sometimes they can get rang up 2 hour's beforehand asking if they can work.
Original Poster
The general feedback I've received about these contract's has been positive.
Not a good source of steady income though. (not really clued up on 0 hour contracts) is there not a danger of being contracted but not being used for say two weeks and not being paid anything? Limiting your ability to get another job due to the possibility of a phone call 2 hours before they would like you to work.

Original Poster
mclovin9091

Not a good source of steady income though. (not really clued up on 0 hour … Not a good source of steady income though. (not really clued up on 0 hour contracts) is there not a danger of being contracted but not being used for say two weeks and not being paid anything? Limiting your ability to get another job due to the possibility of a phone call 2 hours before they would like you to work.

You're right and I've took on board what you've said. I'm gonna think this over during my shift later on.
The good thing about zero hour contracts as I understood it was that you also didn't have to go into work if you didn't want to.
I know people can be desperate for a job at times but Zero hour contracts should be illegal in my (unqualified+ uneducated) opinion. I'm sure there are people that will say that without them they wouldn't have any job but the thought of being employed but not being paid anything is confusing.

I suppose it comes down to each personal situation and whether they think it will work for them or not. Is it also not a way for the company to avoid paying as much tax on the wages?
GhettoPunk

The general feedback I've received about these contract's has been … The general feedback I've received about these contract's has been positive.

Partner got denied a mortgage due to a zero hour contract, so theyre OK if you aspire to live in rented accommodation for the rest of your life.
Doors

The good thing about zero hour contracts as I understood it was that you … The good thing about zero hour contracts as I understood it was that you also didn't have to go into work if you didn't want to.

And if you keep doing that, the employer will just get someone else to do the work and the best thing is they won't even have to bother to sack you.
I have a zero hour contract alongside my permy job. Its great for the extra cash on the build up to Christmas and other times of the year when you need a bit more dollar but its not a steady source of income and I would never give up my permy job for my zero hour contract.
The hours and shifts can be very sporadic but on the plus side you can turn down work if you are unavailable but as mentioned above keep rejecting offers of work and your contract will be terminated.

It all depends on your circumstances
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants