Groups

HELP - Nintendo ds (phat / original) NOT powering on :(

Hi guys,
    I have a Nintendo ds (phat / original) and I replaced the case (it had a broken hinge but worked perfectly) and now with the new case fitted - when I press the power button, the RHS of the two lights flashes for a second and the bottom touchscreen flashes white for a second and then NOTHING. The top screen does not flash on even for one second.

The battery is fully charged and working fine.
    The two internal fuses are ok (I've checked both of these)
    I've made sure that all the ribbon cables to the PCB are securely and well fitted.

I don't know what to try next to repair this? Maybe someone upon here has had a similar problem and could help me with a solution?

Please help !!!!!

k750man.

Interesting

21 Comments

It's your ribbon cables.
    They have to line up perfectly.
    Keep trying, it's usually the one to the top screen.

The bad news is, it could be at the motherboard end, or, the other end which is harder to get to.

Original Poster

Thanks 'Jumpingphil' very much m8 :thumbsup:

I've re-attached all the ribbon cables a couple of times now but obviously not well enough !
    I'll try again and again until it works.

The two smaller ribbon cables below the the fatter ribbon cable for the bottom touchscreen seem particularly awkward - I'm not too sure how far these should go into the socket? (There's no clamp to press down upon them to keep them in also).

If anyone else has any thoughts or experience in solving this problem then please let me know?

Thanks a lot,
    k750man.

Jumpingphil;4231449

It's your ribbon cables.They have to line up perfectly.Keep trying, it's … It's your ribbon cables.They have to line up perfectly.Keep trying, it's usually the one to the top screen.The bad news is, it could be at the motherboard end, or, the other end which is harder to get to.

k750man;4234801

(There's no clamp to press down upon them to keep them in also).Thanks a … (There's no clamp to press down upon them to keep them in also).Thanks a lot,k750man.

There is your problem then.
    Unless anyone knows any better then, I'd say you're shafted.

I'm assuming it wasn't broken/missing before you opened it up.

Can you post pictures to confirm.

Original Poster

The fat ribbon cable for the bottom touchscreen DOES have a clamp and seems well connected
    Underneath this fat ribbon cable there are two narrower width ribbon cables, these do NOT have clamps and the ribbons merely slide into the connectors on the pcb. I have pushed both of these in as far as I can but they do on occasion seem a bit loose? Does anyone have any experience of re-connecting these cables? Any known issues or advice upon properly fitting them?

Thanks !

Jumpingphil;4235030

There is your problem then.Unless anyone knows any better then, I'd say … There is your problem then.Unless anyone knows any better then, I'd say you're shafted.I'm assuming it wasn't broken/missing before you opened it up.Can you post pictures to confirm.

Ahhh, I know the ones you mean. One of them is the touch screen.
    The problem you're describing is normally associated with the other connectors.
    Either the one on the motherboard, or the two on the little bit of board by the top screen and speakers.

Original Poster

Thanks again !
    I'll have a look again. I'm pretty certain that it's just a loose ribbon cable also but I've really pushed them all in and still no joy :?

I'll try again !

Thanks again.

Jumpingphil;4235421

Ahhh, I know the ones you mean. One of them is the touch screen.The … Ahhh, I know the ones you mean. One of them is the touch screen.The problem you're describing is normally associated with the other connectors.Either the one on the motherboard, or the two on the little bit of board by the top screen and speakers.

The ones I am talking about are :- the one top left of the first picture
    the connectors on the otherside of the small circuit board on the right in the second picture.

[

Original Poster

Here's the two that I feel are not as securely inserted as they might be -

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/k750man/100_4597.jpg

They are below the fat cable at the bottom RHS of your first picture - the fat cable has been moved up and away to expose them.

I have removed all the cables you have shown and mentioned (in order to replace the case :)) and I have tried to securely re-insert them but I'll try again.

Thanks again !

I know the two you are talking about.
    You do know that there are little black "thingys" ( Technical term ) in there that you slide out before you insert the cables. You then push them back in to secure the cables.
    I usually use a modeling knife or a small screwdriver to ease the "thingys" out.
    Looking at your picture, they move ( not very far ) to-wards to hole that they are poking through.

Original Poster

You've hit the nail on the head there m8 !!!!!!!! YIPEE !!!!!!

I have not moved said 'Black Thingy's' out before inserting the two cables thus they remain loose and move about.
    What a complete numpty I am - LOL.
    I'll give this a try later on and report back about success or failure (not got time tonight )

Thanks very much for your help once again !!!!

:thumbsup:

Jumpingphil;4236125

I know the two you are talking about.You do know that there are little … I know the two you are talking about.You do know that there are little black "thingys" ( Technical term ) in there that you slide out before you insert the cables. You then push them back in to secure the cables.I usually use a modeling knife or a small screwdriver to ease the "thingys" out.Looking at your picture, they move ( not very far ) to-wards to hole that they are poking through.

I've just realised, I forgot to upload the pictures I posted.
    I direct linked to another site and that is frowned on so I will delete my post #8
    It won't make any difference to the thread though.
    Glad it seems to be sorted.

Original Poster

Not sorted yet - I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

Original Poster

Cables now properly inserted
    Now found that the F2 fuse is blown - I'll try to replace it or try the fuse wire trick that's all over the internet (not much to it - just use fuse wire to bridge the contacts of the fuse :-0 )

Original Poster

Got ds to power on - yeah !!!!!!!

Now got a white top screen and a working bottom screen :-0

Anyone any suggestions how to fix this ?

Original Poster

Back to square one I'm afraid - white screen upon top screen and rhs power light flashes for one second along with bottom screen flashing white for a second but no life upon the top screen - grrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!

Anyone able to help with this?

Check the connectors again. All of them, including the ones on the little board in the top half of the DS ( I guess you have done already )
    Also check the long ribbon cable that goes from the main motherboard on bottom of DS to the top screen connector board in top half of DS.
    Have you damaged that?

Original Poster

Thanks again for the reply. I've checked all the connectors and I'm going to buy a new ribbon cable from ebay. What a life - lol :

)

Jumpingphil;4265943

Check the connectors again. All of them, including the ones on the little … Check the connectors again. All of them, including the ones on the little board in the top half of the DS ( I guess you have done already )Also check the long ribbon cable that goes from the main motherboard on bottom of DS to the top screen connector board in top half of DS.Have you damaged that?

If you are not in a mad rush, checkout dealextreme.
    They tend to take about 10 days to deliver but may well be cheaper than fleabay.
    But obviously, it's your call.

Original Poster

Thanks anyway, I did not check them out for this ribbon cable but ordered a new top screen for a ds lite from them and 10-14 days wait is well worth it normally

Thanks for the tip

Jumpingphil;4272437

If you are not in a mad rush, checkout dealextreme.They tend to take … If you are not in a mad rush, checkout dealextreme.They tend to take about 10 days to deliver but may well be cheaper than fleabay.But obviously, it's your call.

Original Poster

I got mY new ribbon cable from ebay

Original Poster

New ribbon cable arrived, put it in DS and it worked 100%, first time
    Yeah !!!!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game72744173
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1424
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764355
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism1118

See more discussions