Groups

HELP! NOTEBOOK HAS PICKED UP A VIRUS.

I have a dell notebook that has picked up a virus (damn facebook apps)
    Dell and Norton both want £69 to clear it - anyone know of any cheaper software i can buy to remove it?
    I think its a trojan, ive googled it and it appears quite common. Keeps popping up security warnings and asking me do do a free scan and then buy their program.
    Any help appreciated before i bite the bullet and pay the £69........

24 Comments

I had the exact same problem once and used a program called Malware Bytes which fixed the problem.

You can download it here:

fileforum.betanews.com/det…9/1

and its free!!!!

Banned

Malware bytes to clear it

then install Microsoft security essentials for your antivirus to keep you clean, (its free!)

However, from your description, it sounds like you caught the fake antivirus2010, this unfortunately is now immune to malwarebtyes
    if malwarebytes cannot clear it, no other software can remove it. Then its reinstall time

I had to reinstall a machine just the other day as it was impossible to clean with malwarebtyes

if its the same thing i had from facebook then i dont think its an actual virus i clicked on something then a box kept popping up telling me to download something and basically wouldnt go away, in the end i did a system restore and ive never had the problem since.

Original Poster

jubbyme;7961509

Malware bytes to clear itthen install Microsoft security essentials for … Malware bytes to clear itthen install Microsoft security essentials for your antivirus to keep you clean, (its free!)However, from your description, it sounds like you caught the fake antivirus2010, this unfortunately is now immune to malarebytesif malwarebytes cannot clear it, no other software can remove it then its reinstall timeI had to reinstall a machine just the other day as it was impossible to clean with malwarebtyes

Yes its the antivirus 2010

Banned

BabySmurfette;7961574

Yes its the antivirus 2010

Reinstall time im afraid, cleaning is impossible due to their updated scummy tactics

system restore is already gone, its too deep inside the machine, malwarebytes cannot clear it, sorry

:x

Original Poster

ah well, was worth a shot.
    Is it worth taking to a local computer shop or should i just go with dell?

torrent a antivirus program
    or better yet re format

Banned

BabySmurfette;7961622

ah well, was worth a shot.Is it worth taking to a local computer shop or … ah well, was worth a shot.Is it worth taking to a local computer shop or should i just go with dell?

69 quid?

um, dell normally have a way to do image restore, if you can figure how to get that going, you can do it

or use the windows disk to reinstall windows, then the driver disk to install drivers, you may be capable yourself
    this isnt so bad to do, just time consuming (a couple of hours on average)

a computer shop will likely charge you more than 69 quid to reinstall a machine anyway

1. Download + Install Malware Bytes (as already suggested)

2. Put your PC into safe mode (press F8 as PC is starting up)

3. Run Malware Bytes full scan

4. Once it`s complete `View Report`

5. Click `Remove recommended` (or something along those lines)

6. Make sure you`ve removed any downloads that may have caused the virus in the first place (or avoid Fb apps ;-))

7. Restart computer

8. Run Malware Bytes again (Full scan)

That should take care of it.

:thumbsup:

Original Poster

muffin247;7961637

torrent a antivirus programor better yet re format

How do i reformat?

is it really that awful to have a box pop up every now and then?

i did have the same thing a few months back, but that was cleared with malware bytes

Original Poster

Crowman;7961647

1. Download + Install Malware Bytes (as already suggested)2. Put your PC … 1. Download + Install Malware Bytes (as already suggested)2. Put your PC into safe mode (press F8 as PC is starting up)3. Run Malware Bytes full scan4. Once it`s complete `View Report`5. Click `Remove recommended` (or something along those lines)6. Make sure you`ve removed any downloads that may have caused the virus in the first place (or avoid Fb apps ;-))7. Restart computer8. Run Malware Bytes again (Full scan)That should take care of it.:thumbsup:

Will try this thanks

since its a notebook im guessing no dvd drive?
    there should be a image saved on your hard drive usually as a partition
    u can restore back to factory settings from there

Banned

BabySmurfette;7961652

How do i reformat?

place the windows disk into the cd drive, restart machine
    look for the bit where it says press any key to boot cd cd

then read all the screens carefully

but it does sound like you may not be able to do this
    do you have a family member a bit more technical?

Original Poster

When i download malware bytes it comes up as uniblue registry booster?

Original Poster

owens101;7961670

is it really that awful to have a box pop up every now and then?i did … is it really that awful to have a box pop up every now and then?i did have the same thing a few months back, but that was cleared with malware bytes

It wont let me access anything online so its more serious than that.

Banned

As I said, the new strain of antivirus2010 is immune to malwarebtys now

you cannot clear it

and no, you cannot live with it, you will get all kinds of other things stealing bank account and login passwords to things as all your AV isnt working

if you cannot reformat yourself and a family member cant help, and dell can do it for 69 (are you sure thats what they can offer?)
    then its better than most pc places can do it for

Hoe did you get it? Did you say it is downloaded from Facebook or was it just something picked up elsewhere to help with Facebook. It's a bit carp if Facebook are allowing this?

Yes, you've downloaded one of the FAKE anti-virus programs , this is in fact virtually a virus in itself . We call it RANSOMWARE , it holds you to ransom till you hand over your credit card details . I've dealt with lots of these in the past and the 2 programs that got rid of similar programs were SuperAntiSpyware & MalwareBytes . One runs in safemode and I'm sure one doesn't . I think Malwarebytes is the one to use in safemode . Theres lots of registry keys associated with these fake programs , so get Ccleaner to clear out all the downloaded junk and orphan reg keys .Note : these sorts of fakes are getting very sophisticated and some can ruin your operating system , making a format and re-installation inevitable. I know how difficult it will be to install anything with this fake on as system resources will be at 100% most of the time . Safemode is the only way .

Original Poster

ok I'll take it to my local computer place in the morning as I am unsure what I a doing rather pay someone to sort it once and for all then will lock down the pc as best possible with security

i had this too (or so it sounds) and used malwarebytes + spyware doctor + avg all together.
    now have all 3 running and it seems to have staved off the constant fake alert pop-ups.
    takes longer to start-up & close-down now though......

not an elegant solution, but working atm

I love malwarebytes, its a great free prog.

For many years I have used a combo of AVG, Adaware, Spybot and Malwarebytes, and rarley had problems. I have fixed many friends/Family computer with these also.

For the first time today I used Avast free edition, it too looks to be a good free prog.

If things are really bad you could join the many computer forums on the web, download hijack this and save your log and post it up on the forums, there are always many that will help.

To be honest you just cant beat a nice fresh windows install though :-D

Original Poster

thanks for all your help - will rep.
    just gonna have to hand over the cash :sigh:

Original Poster

Update - found a website called geekstogo.com and followed their instructions and it appears to be all gone!
    I say appears as i know that there can be something lurking somewhere but im online anyway and im avoiding anything that i have to give my personal info on until i get it checked out.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259

See more discussions