Expired

Help on a 17 year old male car insurance

Found 22nd May 2012
My 17 year old son just got his full lisense and has been looking at quotes for car insurance and it coming in at £4000 I thought about adding him as a named driver to my car but me still being the main driver. Also I have heard of people talking about fronting but unsure to exactly what it is. Any advice.

29 Comments

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/02/a-fifth-of-drivers-admit-car-insurance-fraud-204083/

Fronting, the criminal offence of pretending to be main driver of a … Fronting, the criminal offence of pretending to be main driver of a vehicle, is big business in the UK. One-in-five motorists admit to declaring themselves the policyholder to save the real main driver a hefty car insurance premium. If discovered, the crime would invalidate an insurance policy and could lead to a criminal record for the perpetrator. It is a crime that attracts some parents who are keen to save their children money.

So basically based on your info, you are still going to be the main driver and your son will not have sole user of the car then you are OK as you will not be 'fronting'.
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 22nd May 2012

A friend of mine was going to get his son a Corsa. Insurance came to £4000. He is now looking at getting him a 2.5 diesel 4x4, £2000 insurance.

Also look at a black box / tracking device for the car. That should get it down as well.

Original Poster

simplyjimbo

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/02/a-fifth-of-drivers-admit-car-insurance-fraud-204083/So basically based on your info, you are still going to be the main driver and your son will not have sole user of the car then you are OK as you will not be 'fronting'.

Ok thanks but do you know if this will get him a no claims bonus if he doesn't crash or does it just add to mine.

Don't do it if you are not going to be the main driver thouugh. Putting yourself as the main driver would be wrong and would definitely be classed as fronting.
There was an interesting programme on Superscrimpers though which advised that you could add a more experienced driver as a named driver to get savings.
LINK

Quote:

MONDAY 30 JANUARY 2012
Get the inside track on car how to cut car insurance costs from Mrs Moneypenny

Mrs M's Golden Rules

Don't assume third party is always cheaper than fully comprehensive
Just by choosing third party you're judged as a bigger risk - and the price goes up

Adding an older more experienced driver can reduce the cost of a young or new driver's insurance
Add a family member who has no claims and a clean licence to get the best savings. Important: do not mark them as the main driver when they are not as this is known as fronting and is fraud.

Ticking a different job title that still accurately describes what you do for a living can save you money.
While you are probably not going to change your job to get cheaper car insurance it is worth looking at the different job descriptions you can choose on your application.

Dont set an unrealistically high excess - make sure you can afford it if the worst happens
The excess is the amount you'll have to pay in the event of a claim that's your fault - the higher the excess, the lower the premium.
Hope this helps

Edited by: "summerjoo" 22nd May 2012

My dad did it for me, i remember his insurance was about £180 with me on it lol. Ive never crashed and insurance is still £330 fully comp.

Any advice.

Don't leave plugs lying around untidily, hurts like a bitch when you tread on them.

car insurance for a 17 year old?
http://funny-stuff.3961608.n2.nabble.com/file/n3209525/youfunnykid.jpg

my brother is in the same situation. 19 year old and £4k for the best insurance quote. it doesn't seem worth it unless you need a car i suppose.

tryQuinn Direct

also add as many secondary drivers as you can

I was getting similar quotes for my 18 year old. I was advisedt to try the Co-op who do not feature on comparison sites. I had to answer lots of questions about what time he would be driving, how confident a driver is he, does he stick to the speed limit etc but by painting a picture of a 30 mph max speed, daytime only driving expert I managed to get a quote of about 2.5k for him. Not sure how they would monitor this as no box is required but presumably there will be some clauses built in. Worth a try although still prohibitively expensive for us.

try getting quotes on other smaller cars, check out citroen, toyota, nissan and check if taking a pass plus course will bring it down also you can list your son as the main and list yourself as the 2nd driver or list a female driver as the 2nd driver.

Yass_1

tryQuinn Directalso add as many secondary drivers as you can

Remember reading bad reviews about them so decided no go with them

some insurers offer policies where you cant drive after certain time for example between 23:00 and 05:00.

get a quote with him as the main driver but you on it as a named driver that will bring it down - also the black box thing is good and does bring the insurance down but watch out if he uses it more than he should each month or goes over the speed limit as the premiums go up quite a bit

You can set your excess to the max and use insuremyexcess.co.uk to effectively insure your excess should there be an accident, i put my excess to £1000 and paid £75 on that website to insure the excess. This idea hasnt been promoted much yet, try using confused.com and play around with the quote but make sure your not blagging much for obvious reasons

Might be worth trying morethan - phone them rather than do it online. They've always been really helpful with myself (20) and brother (19), and even though we're only named drivers atm, the quotes they gave for us as main drivers were a lot more reasonable than other companies.
Also, if you are going to be driving the car more than he is, put yourself as the main driver and him as a named driver and go through direct line - i think theyre slightly more expensive than other companies, but he would be able to build up his own no-claims discount.

Hope this helps

My son was 17 when he got a car co-op were the best deal around 2400 full comp that was last nov good luck these poor kids and us poor parents !!!!!

Didn't start til I was 22, paid £660 first year, put him on your insurance as a NAMED driver, and let him BORROW the car as and when needed.

Remster

A friend of mine was going to get his son a Corsa. Insurance came to … A friend of mine was going to get his son a Corsa. Insurance came to £4000. He is now looking at getting him a 2.5 diesel 4x4, £2000 insurance.Also look at a black box / tracking device for the car. That should get it down as well.

how do you get those things? are all insurance companies giving the options or a select few?

3 options.

1. You are the main driver of the car and he is a named driver on the policy. This basically means you drive it more than he does, he will not get a no claims bonus this way, but at this early stage of his driving, it is not really necessary because premiums will be high no matter what. If he is the person who will be driving more than you, this is classed as fronting and while illegal, it is done by thousands and wouldn't bother me if I was in your situation.

2. He is the main driver and you put yourself on the policy as a named driver, this will usually take a lump sum off the price of the policy.

3. Look for some of these deals where you buy a new car, they service and insure it for the period you own it, you may save a massive chunk of £££ doing it this way.

My view on fronting is this, insurance companies hire people to find loopholes in paying out, there are many claims which do not get paid out due to one thing or another. The nature of comparison sites these days means there are mistakes on policys, all they do is take your info, then automatically fill out the info on other company sites, which interpret it in their own way, and this can be wrong or inaccurate, which is why I hate using comparisons. Therefore in my view, if the odds are pretty much against you in the first place, there is no harm in it.

I tried looking at the new car deals with free insurance however they have the following clauses. 1) Will only give free insurance to over 21 year olds. 2) Will only give a contribution of 1,000 to drivers between 19-21 (helpful but more than wiped out by the cost of paying for a new car). 3) Will not do anything for anyone under 19.

Saved over a thousand by making ours an additional driver as opposed to the main driver / only driver.
Definitely worth it

Of course just make sure you "are" the official main driver and so of course you will use it a lot, wont you

It's not easy with your first insurance, mega money. Seems almost worth trying to get away driving without it nowadays. If you want it you gotta pay for it, or just keep getting the bus

http://cdn.bikes.org.uk/images/scott-bikes/scott-sportster-10-2011-hybrid-bike.jpg

Try using insure the box I've just got my sons from £3000 to £1600 and he is 17 on an 07 Peugoet 107

Remster

A friend of mine was going to get his son a Corsa. Insurance came to … A friend of mine was going to get his son a Corsa. Insurance came to £4000. He is now looking at getting him a 2.5 diesel 4x4, £2000 insurance.Also look at a black box / tracking device for the car. That should get it down as well.

Never get the blackbox it will ruin your insurance for the rest of your life!!! Me and my friend got our insurance at the same and he chose the blackbox so after a year his insurance company tells him that he has been constantly speeding and drink driving! The reason being is that if you are doing 31 in a 30 you are speeding, if you stop for dinner at a place that serves alcohol and leave earlier than 12 hours, they think you got drunk and drove home! 2nd year and his insurance is evevn more with the same car

My son will be learning to drive in jan. I done a few mock quotes and the best I could get was £950 with privilige.
That was fully comp,£250 excess. Insurance in his name and myself and his dad added as drivers.

We have insurance policies with privilige already so he got a discount because of that.

The cheapest cars for him were a new shaped Ka and a Pug 107.
Not the biggest of cars but would be fine for him pottering around in for a couple of years whilst building up ncd.

Does your insurance company offer any discounts for new policies?

This post is over 2 years old...

ace101

This post is over 2 years old...

Says 1 hour, 9 minutes for me mate X)

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants