Expired

Help on connecting system fans to PSU

Found 26th Dec 2013
I am quite stuck on how to connect a system fan (cooler fans) to the power supply. I have the corsair cx600m power supply and want to connect 2 Corsair AF120 quiet edition cooler fans on the PSU, I can't connect both fans on the motherboard because there is only space for one more fan. how would I connect the fans to the power supply if that is possible, do I need some kind of converter then please do tell me about which ones I need. I have the Gigabyte H87 HD3 motherboard mounted in the Corsair 200R case if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskFanPSU
16 Comments
I think there is a conversion cable for this, or you could get a fan controller? They usually allow around 4 fans to be connected.
These fans use 3-pin connectors, so all you need is a power adapter cable.

There are two type of adapter, one for SATA and one for MOLEX. These plug into spare spare power plug from the PSU. If you don't have a spare then you also need a power splitter cable.

Edited by: "nick1austin" 26th Dec 2013
Have a look in the box, my AF120's came with adaptors for molex, yours should be the same.
unquestioned

Have a look in the box, my AF120's came with adaptors for molex, yours … Have a look in the box, my AF120's came with adaptors for molex, yours should be the same.

They are arriving tomorrow so I will have a look at them, thanks.
Im getting very confused, do I have to get a adapter like this:

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/images/BLN-180904.jpg

But my corsair cx 600m has the ports like this:

http://www.mindfactory.de/media/content/datapages/1062/cxm430_500_600_backview_2_1.png

How would they both go together ?
Sorry i am very nooby at connections
Edited by: "TheMan_Aman" 26th Dec 2013
If you're planning on connecting them directly to the PSU I'm assuming you will not be varying voltage for fan speed.

If so then a simple PWM Splitter cable will do with the end connecting to the single Mobo fan header. The voltage supplied should be more than enough for 2, though you may have issues if you go variable (In which case you would ideally use a fan controller).

Just get this. The image should be self explanatory.

amazon.co.uk/Aka…ter
Shadow-360

If you're planning on connecting them directly to the PSU I'm assuming … If you're planning on connecting them directly to the PSU I'm assuming you will not be varying voltage for fan speed.If so then a simple PWM Splitter cable will do with the end connecting to the single Mobo fan header. The voltage supplied should be more than enough for 2, though you may have issues if you go variable (In which case you would ideally use a fan controller).Just get this. The image should be self explanatory.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBFA04-15-Splitter-Cable-Fans/dp/B005FWXWPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388088023&sr=8-1&keywords=pwm+splitter

So the adapter you are showing me does not connect to the power supply, just one connects to the motherboards single fan header and then i can connect 2 other fans to it?
OP copy N paste this number in to ebay.
1 molex connected to your PSU & you can then have up to 4 more fans running.

ItWizzNaeMe

OP copy N paste this number in to ebay.1 molex connected to your PSU & … OP copy N paste this number in to ebay.1 molex connected to your PSU & you can then have up to 4 more fans running.390443385210

How can I put that molex in my psu? I can only put the thick 4 ones in if you know what I mean.
TheMan_Aman

How can I put that molex in my psu? I can only put the thick 4 ones in if … How can I put that molex in my psu? I can only put the thick 4 ones in if you know what I mean.

One of the thick ones contains molex male connectors (usually 4), then the 3pin female fan connects to the 3pin male to molex female adapter.

You may be able to find a sata power to 3pin fan adapter. Or even a sata power to molex, then a molex to 3pin - that might save you having to use the thick cable with the molex plugs on.

Edited by: "PhearFactor" 27th Dec 2013
Why are you looking for fans to connect directly in to the PSU when you should just use a Molex connection ?
ItWizzNaeMe

Why are you looking for fans to connect directly in to the PSU when you … Why are you looking for fans to connect directly in to the PSU when you should just use a Molex connection ?

I do not have enough system fan slots on the motherboard to put 2 fans in, I can connect only one more fan to the motherboard, but i want to connect 2 thats why.
TheMan_Aman

I do not have enough system fan slots on the motherboard to put 2 fans … I do not have enough system fan slots on the motherboard to put 2 fans in, I can connect only one more fan to the motherboard, but i want to connect 2 thats why.

What everyone is trying to explain is that you don't need to find a cable to go into your modular PSU so that you can connect the fans. You will almost certainly have an existing spare Molex plug already coming out of the PSU (A Molex is one of the 4 pin power cables that you used to plug IDE drives into). You connect the Fan adapter to the spare Molex plug and hey presto.
Lowtrawler

What everyone is trying to explain is that you don't need to find a cable … What everyone is trying to explain is that you don't need to find a cable to go into your modular PSU so that you can connect the fans. You will almost certainly have an existing spare Molex plug already coming out of the PSU (A Molex is one of the 4 pin power cables that you used to plug IDE drives into). You connect the Fan adapter to the spare Molex plug and hey presto.

So with this cable, can I just connect it to the remaining slot on my motherboard and then will be able to connect an extra 2 fans?
amazon.co.uk/gp/…-21 << this cable
TheMan_Aman

So the adapter you are showing me does not connect to the power supply, … So the adapter you are showing me does not connect to the power supply, just one connects to the motherboards single fan header and then i can connect 2 other fans to it?

Yup, exactly so. Easy peasy.
Shadow-360

Yup, exactly so. Easy peasy.

Thank you, I will get this then
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions