help on Covid 19 test pre operation

Posted 30th Jun 2020
Sorry having called the GP, 111, Covid helpline I am getting no where, so asking the HUKD community if anyone has experience. My daughter is having a procedure done in a London hospital. They have requested a Covid test no older than three days and say we have to go to The British Library in Central London. We would rather have it done locally, rather than drive our daughter, who is shielding into london. We are unsure if they say the British Library as they can guarantee it in three days or if there is a local one, but no one we have asked on the help lines seem to know, many thanks again for your time, E
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Have you tried the hospital? I don’t think hukd can help too much if the officials can’t? Maybe just do as they ask to make sure the operation takes place.
Hi, did you try to book via nhs.uk/con…us/? You should be able to book local. They offer dates for the same or next day, not in an advance. Results are within 24 hours.
Maybe they suggested that site for a test as it was closest to the hospital
You should also be able to do a home test, which gets sent to your home and collected by courier.

Best to check with the hospital exactly what they will allow
thanks guys, yeah we are awaiting again the feedback from the hospital, anither depaertment now, basically we can do it elsewhere but i think the issue is, the hospital need it to be less than 3 days old to allow her into theatre, so we are trying to figure out if other sites can guarantee 3 days.Was hoping to find someone on here whom may have gone through the same as all the official Covid government help lines just don't know.
as others have already said, you should contact the hospital and ask them to clarify the advice about getting the test done at the British Libarary. It may be that their advice is generic and not specific to you. that it being a London hospital, most patients will be London residents and the British Library may be the nearest test centre to the hospital.

it may also be that there is a chain of information being passed from the test site directly to the hospital so it is easier for the hospital to process the information if their patients get tested at that site.
@els only the hospital themselves are going to be able to help you with this as others have said.

Protocol are changing rapidly and another persons experience from even last week may not be relevant.

It really important you check with the hospital and do things correctly or you risk the surgery been cancelled.
No site can guarantee 3 days, as it’s all based on the lab speed and when the tests are collected etc.
The average turn around time for a test at the moment is between 24-48 hours, with the aim to be less than 24 hours from time of the test.

Your best bet is to have an appointment 72 hours before your operation. At either a mobile test site or the larger fixed sites.
You will only be able to book this test the evening before or on the morning due to when they open the bookings.
well i think if she is having an op the hospital should do it for her where she is going , I have Chemotherapy every 2 weeks and every second Tuesday i have a covid test done at same hospital and booked by them
It's sorted thanks guys, we have to drive into London to The British library on a Sunday as they then put the results straight into the Hospitals computer system, so we get then within the three days allowed time period, it was a bit of faff being contacted by many different departments over several days but we got there in then end, thanks
els03/07/2020 18:49

It's sorted thanks guys, we have to drive into London to The British …It's sorted thanks guys, we have to drive into London to The British library on a Sunday as they then put the results straight into the Hospitals computer system, so we get then within the three days allowed time period, it was a bit of faff being contacted by many different departments over several days but we got there in then end, thanks

glad to hear you got it sorted. best of luck
Post a comment
@
    Text