Groups

Help on disconnecting the waste pipe of my broken washing machine

hi, i bought a new washing machine and paid an installation service. they require me to disconnect the old washing machine myself.

i am having difficulty with disconnecting the waste pipe and need some help.

1. is the disconnection point the joint that connects the yellow tub?

2. i tried to disconnect using hand but it didnt work, do i need to pipe wrench?

3. i dont have pipe wrench, worst case scenario if i cut off the plastic waste pipe and release water, does it count as disconnecting?

Many thanks in advance!

Alan

33 Comments

the waste pipe is normally a rubber hose that is just pushed into a plastic downpipe on the wall behind/near the washing machine. All of mine have just been a case of pulling the rubber hose out of the pipe?

the waste water outlet pipe on my washing machine is simply a flexible plastic hose that is perm connected to my washer - but then mine is quite old - and cannot be removed from the washing machine - waste water outlets generally hang into a waste pipe leading outside or onot a bung fitted to the kitchen sink - which is usually just pushed on or fixed with a jubilee clip that requires a screwdriver to loosen a nut to remove. Are you talking about the waste outlet? or the water connection hoses? - if the former, then do not have a similar type and so cannot understand the question, if the latter, then you need to isolate the water feed first (knob or screw turn isolator somewhere on the pipe run, or loosening those is going to allow water to escape. Sorry I cannot be more helpful

The detachable pipe will need to be unscrewed. If it's been on for a long time, then yes you may need a wrench or pliers to loosen before unscrewing by hand. Have a cloth to hand to mop up water spillage. Lots of picture and instructions on google.

Yeah sounds like it just needs unscrewing .
    Have you got a picture ?
    Some of these connections have notches on them and you can tap them round with a small hammer and chisel/screwdriver then when loose unscrew it.

Original Poster

Original Poster

sorry i tried to upload picture several times, it doesnt seem to work

As above. Most washers will have 3 connections. A power plug, a cold water in (usually a blue pipe with screw connections at both ends) and a wast pipe (which is usually grey and fixed) this usually either pushes into a plastic waste pipe or a push fit connector.

Usually the water in will be piped to the top of the washer and the outlet at the bottom.

use a lump hammer

Original Poster

thanks all. my problem is the waste pipe. its placed under my sink. i used my hand to disconnect but it doesnt work. i cant see any screw either. why cant i upload a picture...

If you cant remove it slip the guy a fiver to do it.

Original Poster

hope you guys can see it from this link i created

https://****/photos/EuagJ71gb6ZxbozSA

Original Poster

sorry ignore me ,it doesnt work. sorry to mess around...

so it's joined into your sink waste outlet via splitter.. these are usually just "hand tight" as the plastic fittings do not allow for tool use, no neighbours with strong grips?
    its more usual to connect dishwashers this way as they flush out less water are you sure you are trying to disconnect the right waste?

Original Poster

hi i cant upload the picture, but it looks similar to the first photo in this website. i can not find any screw around the joint area though. https://****/photos/EuagJ71gb6ZxbozSA

Original Poster

sorry, this is the website. the first photo looks similar to mine. handymanknowhow.co.uk/plu…htm

Is it connected with a jubilee clip at all.

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/~3wAAOxyYSdS-zCU/$_35.JPG?set_id=2[/img]

wolfliyang

sorry, this is the website. the first photo looks similar to mine. … sorry, this is the website. the first photo looks similar to mine. http://www.handymanknowhow.co.uk/plumbing/plumbinginadishwasher.htm

see the orange pipe, that's the adapter, on one side there should be a jubilee clip(metal strap) which will have a screw beside the strap that needs loosened, usually a flat head screw

Original Poster

mine is flat on the surface coz i checked with my hand yesterday and there is no screw no clip, it almost feel like its pushed into the splitter. Unless this is all clipped inside?

Original Poster

Poppyj1

Is it connected with a jubilee clip at … Is it connected with a jubilee clip at all.[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/~3wAAOxyYSdS-zCU/$_35.JPG?set_id=2[/img]

​how did you upload the photo? i cant do it, drive me nuts

wolfliyang

mine is flat on the surface coz i checked with my hand yesterday and … mine is flat on the surface coz i checked with my hand yesterday and there is no screw no clip, it almost feel like its pushed into the splitter. Unless this is all clipped inside?

if thats the case then its not secured and could of popped off with pressure, bit weird that, they are never secured "inside"

[quote=wolfliyang][quote=Poppyj1] Is it connected with a jubilee clip at all.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wl5bl65t0BZfvAf5O-nbBfSpXofik96ufgY71o9DFPit0zzutOhi0L-rntJ0KQcQIyfp-P1c=w1366-h604
    Edited by: "Poppyj1" 8th Dec 2016

Original Poster

wolfliyang

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxXNLBLY1FJDX1hKYjBrRzZoaFE/view?usp=drivesdk

​thank you. just tried, hope it works this time

wolfliyang

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxXNLBLY1FJDX1hKYjBrRzZoaFE/view?usp=drivesdk

Looks like it should just pull right off. Can't see anything keeping it in place. Just pull the grey waste up off of the white connection.

Or undo the grey connector to the right of the elbow and that will allow you to rotate it and slacken off.

Original Poster

from the picture you can now see that the surface is flat, it feels like the pipe is literally pushed into. does it mean i shall literally pull it out (maybe apply some oil)?

Original Poster

Poppyj1

​thank you very much, Poppyj1!

Original Poster

thank you Poppyj1 for putting up the photo and advice. i will try again tonight. i will apply some oil and pull it out. i dont know how its held up against water pressure all these years...

wolfliyang

thank you Poppyj1 for putting up the photo and advice. i will try again … thank you Poppyj1 for putting up the photo and advice. i will try again tonight. i will apply some oil and pull it out. i dont know how its held up against water pressure all these years...

Come back and let us know how you get on with it later. Hopefully you should be able to do it now if not someone might be able to give more advice.

Banned

3 wont count as disconnection but you would be surprised how helpful the staff that do installs can be

especially for ladies & the elderly

[img]encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVZCDciVqB4RV0NY6w8A_hqMYw58Qbnpn1yW4_EU90S8FZkpAOGQ[/img]

It has raised notches on the connector and yours looks like it has been pushed on all the way down. You need to twist and pull at the same time. As someone previously mentioned you may want to disconnect the hose fitting from the sink trap first and then you may be able to get a better grip on it.

Original Poster

thank you and i will. i hope they did not use glue or it can be very hard to pull out. fingers crossed.

Original Poster

i have sorted it. it turns out very much like Rewdys picture. i used my hand to slowly unscrewed it to the point i can pull it out. thank you all for your help, you have all been wonderful!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Dashcam question59
      2. Need help with buying a 4K TV for gaming59
      3. How to cancel Sky subscription810
      4. Gaming Monitor65

See more discussions