Found 25th Jan 2009
Hi there - I'm after a bit of advice re my PC please. I'm not too knowledgeable on computers to be honest, but I have an HP Pavilion t3729.uk PC ciao.co.uk/HP_…954 . Recently, I've been downloading a lot of films. I also have tonnes of high quality photos and music stored on it too. Trouble is, I've noticed over the last year or so that the machine isn't nearly as fast as it was. I've defragged it, cleared cookies, temp internet files etc, but on looking at the free space, I think what I could do with is some more memory!

If I was to go an external hard drive, it would have to be the upright kind, so that I could sit it to the side of my desk. Are they as good as having an internal drive though? I've heard the externals can be noisy and I would plan to store my films, photos and music on the hard drive, so it wouldn't be handy if it was noisy. Can anyone give me some advice please on what I need!? I'd be looking to buy 1TB and so the best deal on either the external or internal drives would be great! I do have an expansion bay on the PC so fitting an internal wouldn't be a prob.

Many thanks

SB

22 Comments

Your machine will be going slower as this is what happens with windows after some time.
A format and reinstall of the hard drive will have it running like a dream again. :thumbsup:

For bigger hard drives check here.

hotukdeals.com/sea…ive

hotukdeals.com/ite…be/

I have an iomega 1tb that I got out tescos for just under 70 quid and it is nice and quiet.

Yep a full format and reinstall with the latest drivers, patches and security updates will have u running like a dream, then buy an external drive and download everything to that. Sorted!

Original Poster

Thanks Esq and Scooter - great advice......can you tell me how to format PC and how to reinstall hard drive??!!!! driver-pro.com/rel…736 Would downloading this help?

Also, my big worry would be the stuff I have saved on the PC already. Would I lose that if I formatted the PC etc? Sorry to ask what is probably a very stupid question!

Your system doesn't run slow because there's lots of stuff on the harddisk, it runs slow because there's lots of stuff loaded into memory. It's a misconception that it runs slow because there's loads on the harddisk. You don't need to reformat or reinstall, you simply need to trim down the apps and the services you have running. To do this:

1) Go to Control Panel, go to Programs / Features, uninstall anything you don't use.

2) After that, press winkey + R, type MSConfig, and disable stuff that you don't want starting up with Windows. On the Services tab, it's a fairly safe bet that you can live without everything that isn't a Microsoft service, so tick the Hide Microsoft Services boxes, and disable everything. Next, go to the Startup section, and disable everything.

Reboot, and things should all be quick again. I'd definetly recommend upgrading the system's memory, though - you can add an extra 2GB for under £20, and that'll make it fly.

Awesome avatar :-D

Original Poster

Thanks DXX - I'll give these a try. But can you tell me - what's a winkey??!! And do you have any idea what type/where I need to buy a system upgrade? Thanks in advance!

sb123

Original Poster

Wey hey!!! Found the winkey!! Followed your instructions and just about to reboot!! Thank you! Just need to buy some memory now - any ideas!!??

[url]www.play.com[/url] is cheap for memory
Use the [url]www.crucial.com.uk[/url] memory selector to find exactly what you need then buy from play. :thumbsup:

dxx;4187159

It's a misconception that it runs slow because there's loads on the … It's a misconception that it runs slow because there's loads on the harddisk.

Sorry dxx, not a misconception it is reality.

Bellerophon;4189198

It is only true if you have nearly filled your Hard drive so there isn't much space for the page file. Other than that, lots of data won't slow it down (unless it is fragmented, but that isn't only when you have lots of data)

Original Poster

thanks esq - I tried downloading the scanning tool from crucial.com but it didn't seem to work. (I followed the onscreen instructions, but nothing came up on screen after I ran the .exe file. Probably something I'm doing wrong!

Original Poster

Can anyone help?!! This is turning into gobblydegook!!! I couldn't get the system scanner to work in crucial.com, therefore I went into a computer help site and someone else recommended [url]www.4allmemory.com[/url] It worked, and I've listed my memory system scan results below. Also, this is the link to the model I have ciao.co.uk/HP_…954

I'm then prompted to select my Pavilion model from the list. There are TONNES of models, but none of them for the t3729.uk. Can anyone please help so that I can work out which memory I need to buy.

Many thanks

SB

Computer Make: HP-Pavilion
Computer Model: RR502AA-ABU t3729.uk
Computer Version:
Motherboard Make: ASUSTek Computer INC.
Motherboard Model: LEONITE
Motherboard Version: 5.00
Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz
Memory: 4 slots: 512 MB, empty, 512 MB, empty

Bellerophon;4189198

It is a misconception. The best I can figure out is that it derives from a mixture of people who blindly echo what they read on forums, and from people who mix random access memory up with permanent storage. Basically, people who don't really understand the inner workings of computers.

Or can you explain the logic to me, and prove yourself right?

sb123;4190180

Can anyone help?!! This is turning into gobblydegook!!! I couldn't get … Can anyone help?!! This is turning into gobblydegook!!! I couldn't get the system scanner to work in crucial.com, therefore I went into a computer help site and someone else recommended [url]www.4allmemory.com[/url] It worked, and I've listed my memory system scan results below. Also, this is the link to the model I have http://www.ciao.co.uk/HP_Pavilion_Media_Center_t3729_uk_Pentium_D_915_2_8_GHz__6703954#productdetail I'm then prompted to select my Pavilion model from the list. There are TONNES of models, but none of them for the t3729.uk. Can anyone please help so that I can work out which memory I need to buy.Many thanksSallyComputer Make: HP-PavilionComputer Model: RR502AA-ABU t3729.ukComputer Version: Motherboard Make: ASUSTek Computer INC.Motherboard Model: LEONITEMotherboard Version: 5.00Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8GhzMemory: 4 slots: 512 MB, empty, 512 MB, empty

Download CPU Z from cpuid.com/dow…zip , run it, and click the Memory tab. It'll most likely say you have DDR2 memory. Probably PC-5300 memory. So buy this: play.com/PC/…tml , and it should work fine.

The fuller andmore fragmented a drive is, the slower a PC will perform

Pan111;4198118

The fuller

WRONG :x

and more fragmented a drive is, the slower a PC will perform

Right :thumbsup:

Banned

Pan111;4198118

The fuller andmore fragmented a drive is, the slower a PC will perform

That's funny I've got four hard drives with about 1TB of data but Vista turns 3 of them off saving me energy doesn't make the computer run quicker though.

Pan111;4218373

I guess PCPro plus many others must be wrong … I guess PCPro plus many others must be wrong then...http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/50758/speed-tweaks.html?searchString=tweakshttp://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/176592/speed-tweaks.html?searchString=tweaks

Thanks for making me read two articles that nowhere imply that a full hard drive makes you system slow :?:x

Oh, and for making me read an article that was 6 YEARS OLD!!

Does a 6 year old article make it any less relevant? It merely popped up near the top of a google search

It actually says in several places in those two articles actually...not specifically a "full" drive, but then again I never said that...if you want to be pedantic

Pan111;4218741

Does a 6 year old article make it any less relevant? It merely popped up … Does a 6 year old article make it any less relevant? It merely popped up near the top of a google searchIt actually says in several places in those two articles actually...not specifically a "full" drive, but then again I never said that...if you want to be pedantic

So, technology hasn't moved on in 6 years? :? (no that it would matter becuase a full hard drive has never slowed down a PC)

A full drive, as i said earlier, would slow down your computer, not through the fact you have lots of files, but from the product of not having enough space for a pagefile (when your running low on memory).

Having a couple of gig free is alway a good idea, but anything up to that point isn't going ot make any difference, unless, of course, it is fragmented.

Its not like the drive has to search through more files to find out what it needs, that is what the File Allocation Table (FAT) is for.

Now, if you really want to get into detail, and prove your point "slightly", then some modern OS's and drives try to store the most accessed data on the outside of the platter, where read speads are better, but to the everyday user, your not really gonna notice a huge difference, and again, this isn't slow because of the number of files, its down to the physical nature of a disc.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50440
    2. hello fashion mag/jigsaw comp - win £1,000 to spend INSTORE at jigsaw88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…55
    4. daily mail comp - win a trip to queensland - comp closes 8th november, 201766

See more discussions