Help on upgrading PC Speakers, Headphones and AMP.

Found 4th Apr 2017
Title pretty much explains all. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC and thought I'd upgrade some peripherals alongside it too. I don't necessarily have a budget, but under 100/150 for each item would be nice.

I have at the moment:

-Speakers-Logitech Z200

-Headphones-V-Moda LP2

(no amp as of yet)

I was wondering if you guys could help me, I mainly use my PC for gaming/music. I have researched a little and I have found a few choices.

-Beyerdynamics DT990(250/600ohm)+AMP of some kind

-Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK Headphones

-PSB Headphones

-Bose companion III speakers.

-Creative T20's/T40s

-M-Audio AV42

-FiiO - E10K Olympus USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
AskHeadphonesPCSpeaker
17 Comments
Audio-Technica are great headphones, can't go wrong with them
You don't need a DAC if you're buying an AMP, there are a lot of cheap non 4K/3D home cinemas out there. Bundled with a £20 HDMI gpu or onboard/spare and you have a top end DAC and AMP.
kester76

You don't need a DAC if you're buying an AMP, there are a lot of cheap … You don't need a DAC if you're buying an AMP, there are a lot of cheap non 4K/3D home cinemas out there. Bundled with a £20 HDMI gpu or onboard/spare and you have a top end DAC and AMP.

Ah yes. that's an interesting idea. Not sure If ill be able to fit that into my room :D. Have you got any links though? might be worth considering.
Lukester

Ah yes. that's an interesting idea. Not sure If ill be able to fit that … Ah yes. that's an interesting idea. Not sure If ill be able to fit that into my room :D. Have you got any links though? might be worth considering.

Something like this.
ebay.co.uk/itm…518?hash=item4400fe4f16:g:bbwAAOSwCU1Y3RoV

A lot of really high end cheap AVRs because they don't support 3D or 4K but with a PC you can just use it as an Digital Audio out as either Bitstream or LPCM. Then just plug whatever speakers you want in to it within reason.
kester76

Something like … Something like this.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-AVR-1911-7-1-Channel-125-Watt-Receiver-/292074442518?hash=item4400fe4f16:g:bbwAAOSwCU1Y3RoVA lot of really high end cheap AVRs because they don't support 3D or 4K but with a PC you can just use it as an Digital Audio out as either Bitstream or LPCM. Then just plug whatever speakers you want in to it within reason.

Ah, nice thanks for your help! will definitely consider this. Do you know any headphones which would be a good output to use? Would some denson headphones be good? or should I get some Beyerdynamic with high Ohms? Or would it not really matter due to the watt reciever?
If you have an AVR you can plug any headphones into it as it has high enough voltage & current on the headphone jack to power low and high resistance headphones.
For speakers I would look at active professional studio near field monitors, from someone like Digital Village. As they will offer you much better sound quality then anything advertised as computer speakers -which are usual form over function, and quality is 4th or less on the design priority list. Go and listen to them at DV.
M-audio, Mackie, Alesis,Tannoy, Behringer, etc, and be had for around the £70-130 mark. And knock the pants of anything else i've heard as "computer" speakers.
whydoiwastemytimehere

For speakers I would look at active professional studio near field … For speakers I would look at active professional studio near field monitors, from someone like Digital Village. As they will offer you much better sound quality then anything advertised as computer speakers -which are usual form over function, and quality is 4th or less on the design priority list. Go and listen to them at DV. M-audio, Mackie, Alesis,Tannoy, Behringer, etc, and be had for around the £70-130 mark. And knock the pants of anything else I've heard as "computer" speakers.

Hmm, Will be looking into this as well! thanks for the recommendation. Any idea on headphones?
For gaming, if games support positional audio and you have the space, it may be better to go for a 5.1 system - that's left / right, rear left / right, centre & subwoofer.
If you cant actually put the rear pair behind, then place so the sound is indirect, such as on a high shelf reflecting off the wall behind
The ATH-MSR7BK are closed cans and reckoned to be good by the hifi mags..
But headphones are such a personal thing you've really got to listen to them and decide; not just on the sound, but the comfort as well. Be prepared to be surprised.
I like sennheisers myself (neutral sound balance) I personally love the momentium2's for reproduction or the bayer dynamic DT770. Have Bose QC25 NC's for the open (noisy) office.
whydoiwastemytimehere

The ATH-MSR7BK are closed cans and reckoned to be good by the hifi … The ATH-MSR7BK are closed cans and reckoned to be good by the hifi mags..But headphones are such a personal thing you've really got to listen to them and decide; not just on the sound, but the comfort as well. Be prepared to be surprised. I like sennheisers myself (neutral sound balance) I personally love the momentium2's for reproduction or the bayer dynamic DT770. Have Bose QC25 NC's for the open (noisy) office.

Yeah not sure if to get those or the ATHM50s..seems to be so much choice, so overwhelming! Yeah I would do that, although I only have a PC world near me which only had a couple to test. Ill probably take a look on review sites and eventually narrow it down to a few pairs.

I tried some bose headphones out in-store in john lewis the other day, they sound really nice, just out of my price range unfortuantely. Also wanted to say thanks for the help and the replies. greatly appreciated
Edited by: "Lukester" 4th Apr 2017
Lukester

Yeah not sure if to get those or the ATHM50s..seems to be so much choice, … Yeah not sure if to get those or the ATHM50s..seems to be so much choice, so overwhelming! Yeah I would do that, although I only have a PC world near me which only had a couple to test. Ill probably take a look on review sites and eventually narrow it down to a few pairs. I tried some bose headphones out in-store in john lewis the other day, they sound really nice, just out of my price range unfortuantely. Also wanted to say thanks for the help and the replies. greatly appreciated

localstore.co.uk/sto…ge/ well worth the trip could say you £hundreds.
Also Musical images and Sevenoaks Hifi The NEC Gadget show or Currys, Dutyfree is usually where i do headphone listening lots of choice (decided most are crap) -take your own audio player; hence going down the pro audio route.
whydoiwastemytimehere

https://www.localstore.co.uk/stores/84860/digital-village/ well worth … https://www.localstore.co.uk/stores/84860/digital-village/ well worth the trip could say you £hundreds.Also Musical images and Sevenoaks Hifi The NEC Gadget show or Currys, Dutyfree is usually where i do headphone listening lots of choice (decided most are crap) -take your own audio player; hence going down the pro audio route.

Shame there is none in the east anglia region :l. yeah the pc world/currys near me had a few choices, but not anything Fantastic. I did get to try the bose headphones out, which were fantastic, although completely out of my budget.

I've also just bought 2 headphones which were listed on audio-technikas ebay outlet (newely listed), they were stupidly cheap (were refurbished) which were the ATH-900x for £50 and the ATH-MS7 for 90, think I got a pretty good deal there right?
very good deal imo
whydoiwastemytimehere

very good deal imo

kester76

If you have an AVR you can plug any headphones into it as it has high … If you have an AVR you can plug any headphones into it as it has high enough voltage & current on the headphone jack to power low and high resistance headphones.

Just to update and to close the thread off-
Picked up 3 headphones
-DT990 pro 250ohm
-Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
-Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
picked up some Mackie speakers based on @whydoiwastemytimehere suggestion
Also picked up a cheapish AMP FiiO a10 + creative E5
Some in ear audio technicas (can't remember the name, on amazon for 84.99)
Bought a channel receiver based on @kester's suggestion.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

whydoiwastemytimehere

very good deal imo

kester76

If you have an AVR you can plug any headphones into it as it has high … If you have an AVR you can plug any headphones into it as it has high enough voltage & current on the headphone jack to power low and high resistance headphones.

Whoa that's a lot of money worth are you keeping all that kit ?
kester76

Whoa that's a lot of money worth are you keeping all that kit ?

Most likely..:D

I got a bit carried away haha, Although I've been wanting to do a big upgrade for a while. Will be moving onto my computer next.

Luckily managed to get some good deals on most of it, either from amazon warehouse or Ebay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants