Help, pc gaming experts needed

Posted 5th Dec 2019
Hi, my 12 year old has asked for a gaming pc for Christmas. I have had a look and it’s all jargon to me, I haven’t a clue what to look for. It’s completely stressing me out as we have a budget of £1000 but most are crazy money. Could some one please offer some advice/guidence? Anything would be highly appreciated
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Take a read through some of the other threads. Normally see this asked at least once a day, probably some good advice already been given or could be missed.

hotukdeals.com/sea…+pc
Go to discussions click search (magnifying glass) type gaming pc. There's tonnes of threads all asking this I'm sure you could get what you need from these threads
is it a laptop or desktop,if its a desktop you wont need anywhere near £1000
It depends what type of games he plays, some are really demanding on processors and graphics cards. Do you need a screen or do you already have one? £1000 should get you a very decent system, important things to consider are Processor £100/400, Power Supply £50, Graphics Card £100-400 and Motherboard £100/150, Memory £50/80. Get an SSD drive £100 rather than the older type hard drives. 1tb to start with I'd suggest is a reasonable size for a SSD.

You can buy all the individual components yourself and it just fits together like a meccano set. Or for slightly more there are pc build websites like CCL where you can specify the individual components you desire, and they will send you a complete system already built.
Edited by: "MikeCumbria" 5th Dec 2019
Blimey £1000 for a Christmas pressie. Did I mention I am up for adoption?
If you are not sure what you are doing and have plenty of £ and don't have time to look at parts and use it as a project get a Dell.
deleted1471098
There are many different options from many different suppliers but here’s a couple.

Do you already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse you can already use?

If not then this will get you going change the graphics card to 2060 super brings it up to £960 (buy a WiFi card/usb dongle separately on amazon or this site £5-10) and optionally change the processor to the 2600X which is a bit faster but takes it up to £1003:

awd-it.co.uk/awd-bifrost-mb530p-rgb-amd-ryzen-2600-3.9ghz-nvidia-gtx-1060-6gb-six-core-gaming-pc-bundle.html

If you already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard something like this (add an extra 8gb of Corsair 3000mhz ram and a WiFi card 600mbps. Then buy windows 10 from eBay for about £10.

awd-it.co.uk/awd-mb500-interest-free-computer-ryzen-2700x-4.35ghz-rtx-2070-8gb-if10.html
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 6th Dec 2019
Thanks so much everyone, all the family are putting money together. All his friends got really good pc’s and he’s been using our laptop which isn’t cutting it anymore 🙈
AWD Ryzen 5 3600 GTX 1660 Super 16GB RAM 1TB HDD 240GB SSD Desktop PC For Gaming £730

awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCFQZf

Was given this on here and acquired all the bits for about £370 that's the majority of parts being new as well. Supposedly will be able to play vr on it too. Will also say I also got the 8gb gpu rather than the 4gb one
Edited by: "R_S" 6th Dec 2019
Why are people offering advice on systems before knowing what the OP requirements are ?

1) We need to know what games will be played.

2) We need to know if in that budget you need monitor and keyboard and mouse.
R_S06/12/2019 12:16

Comment deleted

Oh dear. I hope those asterisk's are "A, R & T."
Phsycronix06/12/2019 12:25

Oh dear. I hope those asterisk's are "A, R & T."

Unfortunately not.
R_S06/12/2019 12:16

Comment deleted

I'm talking to anyone giving out poor advice based on not knowing enough info.

And now i'm talking to you, calm down before we read all about you on the 6 oclock news.
m1keyp1key06/12/2019 13:11

I'm talking to anyone giving out poor advice based on not knowing enough …I'm talking to anyone giving out poor advice based on not knowing enough info. And now i'm talking to you, calm down before we read all about you on the 6 oclock news.

What poor advice? Don't see op complaining! You nothing about me so jog on,
R_S06/12/2019 13:36

What poor advice? Don't see op complaining! You nothing about me so jog on,

All the above is poor advice based on we don't even know if the op needs a monitor included in that price or what games they are going to be playing. No point blowing all the budget if all they play are games that don't need a high spec pc.

I don't want to know anything about you, and i'd rather never have spoken to you. I'd rather get on with finding out what the op requires and speak to them.
m1keyp1key06/12/2019 13:50

All the above is poor advice based on we don't even know if the op needs a …All the above is poor advice based on we don't even know if the op needs a monitor included in that price or what games they are going to be playing. No point blowing all the budget if all they play are games that don't need a high spec pc.I don't want to know anything about you, and i'd rather never have spoken to you. I'd rather get on with finding out what the op requires and speak to them.

Your asking op questions they have already answered, it's all jargon to them. 1k budget am guessing it's not going to be zx spectrum graphics they are looking for but for modern titles. And your last point you never asked the op what they wanted did you?
R_S06/12/2019 14:02

Your asking op questions they have already answered, it's all jargon to …Your asking op questions they have already answered, it's all jargon to them. 1k budget am guessing it's not going to be zx spectrum graphics they are looking for but for modern titles. And your last point you never asked the op what they wanted did you?

Are you on a wind up? The op hasn't answered the questions. If they had you wouldn't be "guessing it's not going to be zx spectrum graphics"

And what the hell are you on about that i haven't asked the op what they wanted? Two sentences earlier you said "you asking op questions have already been answered".
Even for a complete system, £1k is a pretty solid budget, though depending on the games, it may be an overkill budget.
Wouldn't really run to a Gsync monitor, though as Nvidia graphics now supports Freesync (over DISPLAYPORT ONLY!), that allows a cheaper adaptive sync option than the horrendously expensive Gsync monitors. Freesync is the type supported by AMD graphics as standard.

The point of Freesync / Gsync is that if the frame rate being achieved by the graphics is not at the maximum (eg. 144Hz monitor and 100 FPS)…..
Without adaptive sync, with VSYNC ON, it will only let the frame go on the next sync, so some frames will show for 2 periods and some for 1, potentially giving lag or jitter. With VSYNC OFF, the new frame begins partway down the screen, potentially causing horizontal tearing.
With the adaptive sync, each frame can go as soon as it's ready, with the monitor frame rate matched to the availability (within specified limits)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions