Found 31st Jul 2008
Received a PCN in bolton but will appeal.

Need to find out if the double yellow lines are legal.

Who should I contact. there must be someone out there who knows the law about double yellow lines.

Bolton council are no help.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
19 Comments

what do you mean are the yellow lines legal?

Original Poster

i wasnt actually parked on double yellow lines, the yellow lines were across an opening to private land, but apparently i was marginally on public land and therefore the yellow lines come into play.

I want to know what the lines should look like, from a legal point of view.

Original Poster

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk308/teqnophile/pcntacouncilpics-1.png

They should have a line cutting across at each end to signal they have ended, and have no breaks.

EDIT (just seen photos)

Hmm I'm not sure about that, however you probably shouldn't have been parked that close to the corner.

It's not a proper junction so not sure about it being a problem that close to the corner, those are not legal double yellows as mentioned. It shouldn't go across the opening and each end should have a perpendicular line across it to 'end' them. The car isn't even on the double yellow line, even it did extend further it still wouldn't be legal though as it's not been capped off.

John

Well unless the law has changed I thought you had to 'overshadow' the lines for it to be an offence, ie if your bumper was over the lines by an inch you could get nicked. Don't see why you got a ticket in this case though, unless it was causing an obstruction on the pavement :? But if that is the case they gave you a ticket for the wrong reason so it should be fightable.

Seems weird to me, was the reason given as being on yellow lines? It wasn't for parking at a junction instead was it? Or parking on a pavement?

As others have said it doesn't even look like those are legal yellow lines either!

No chance if it is a yellow line offence, what is the code and offence on the PCN (Penalty Charge Notice)

I have had 3 parking tickets, appealed all of them, and won all of them :-D

Original Poster

the contravention is parking in a restricted street during perscribed hours.

the double yellow lines that go across the opening are the ones that I have apparently violated, they are enforcable up to the end of the pavement , not the actual pavement that you can see in the pic but an imaginary pavement that runs from the end of the building paralell to the double yellow lines.

the only way I can see getting out of this is do the council have to prove that I was on public property, and urely only a land survey would show for definate the line that divides public land from private land.

Also did the traffic warden have to guess where the dividing line was.

Could be related to:
Parking on a bend (as opposed to a junction)
Parking on the pavement (although the other cars are more on the pavement than you are)
Parking where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users

But for a yellow line offence no, your not on the line, and the line looks like it is not legal.

You'd win on appeal....the lines actually have to be visible not imaginary.

Firstly 10M from a junction.

Secondly those lines running infront of the driveway or where ever you have dumped the car runs right up to the building line. from the look of it half your car is still on public land. You need to see exactly where the private land starts.

Also it looks like you are blocking a drop down curb.

Who issued the ticket?

Banned

Good luck with your appeal, but have you considered what may have happened if there was a fire in the premises behind - the parking looks atrocious - be glad you've been fortuntate enough not to have blocked a fire engine or any other emergency services.

In my opinion thats really bad parking and causing a potential hazard to other users - Do you really need to park there rather than finding a convenient safe spot and walking an extra hundred yards or more ?

peodude;2644535

http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Good website. thanks, have added it to favourites, just in case i need it one day.....

Banned

Where in Bolton is that?

I hate parking wardens in general, god created the earth, so the god squad tell me, when they knock on my front door.

So, why then do the council think they own the land!

Did, god sell it to them?

DLM;2645538

So, why then do the council think they own the land!Did, god sell it to … So, why then do the council think they own the land!Did, god sell it to them?

Maybe its because they are the ones who maintain it, and keep it in order, no?

andrew_stoned;2645893

Maybe its because they are the ones who maintain it, and keep it in … Maybe its because they are the ones who maintain it, and keep it in order, no?

So if I sweep the pavement outside my house it becomes mine? Cool beans. I'm gonna be a land mogul afore long, yee haaarrrr (and Aaaarrrrrr!).

Banned

Shengis;2645946

So if I sweep the pavement outside my house it becomes mine? Cool beans. … So if I sweep the pavement outside my house it becomes mine? Cool beans. I'm gonna be a land mogul afore long, yee haaarrrr (and Aaaarrrrrr!).

Sounds good to me :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769551
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247659
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA22133
    4. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…22

See more discussions