Groups

help playing mkv files please

i really want to watch a very good show that is on on sunday nights but the file wont play properly sound outta place. kmp player and windows wont play so tried vlc media player where sound is on but no picture

anyone able to help me pleeaaaaasssseeeee???

39 Comments

Google k-lite codec pack full

It'll install all new codecs and a new version of mplayer classic

Sorted

Original Poster

ok will try it thanks

Original Poster

im trying to convert it thru vlc but i get a slight pic up but pixal like

Because your codecs (the files needed to play videos) are out of date

Direct link for k-lite - files.3dnews.ru/pub…exe

Banned

Or google "Lazy mans MKV" (Which is a correct name - not sarcasm!!!!!!)

Original Poster

i just googled mlazy mans mkv- i cant seem to be able to figure how to use it ive put file into the preview box that comes up and it says its already being used. ive somehow got the dvd decycter on the file now? so everytime i go and press it it comes up opening that. What do i have to open file with?
    Im getting myself into a pickle here lol- its not funny but after over an hour of trying to get a file to work m,y patience is running out and i seem to making it worse!

Banned

loulou1981;5229065

i just googled mlazy mans mkv- i cant seem to be able to figure how to … i just googled mlazy mans mkv- i cant seem to be able to figure how to use it ive put file into the preview box that comes up and it says its already being used. ive somehow got the dvd decycter on the file now? so everytime i go and press it it comes up opening that. What do i have to open file with? Im getting myself into a pickle here lol- its not funny but after over an hour of trying to get a file to work m,y patience is running out and i seem to making it worse!

Been a while since I installed it, but from memory, that's all I did (ie install), then double click on the MKV to open it.

Original Poster

teambintip;5228860

Because your codecs (the files needed to play videos) are out of … Because your codecs (the files needed to play videos) are out of dateDirect link for k-lite - http://files.3dnews.ru/pub/soft/multimedia/codec/klcodec_480f.exe

oh right, i dont know hardly anything but files and out of date- how do i fix this? is it just a case of downloading another codecs? All i know is what you guys have taught me so far :-D if it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt be watching it at all :thumbsup:

Maybe i will try your one but other one was quicker so went with that first. do i just have to open it with that once done?

Download mkv2vob - and reencode it.

VLC shouldn't need codecs to be honest.

Banned

moob;5229218

Download mkv2vob - and reencode it.VLC shouldn't need codecs to be honest.

Why would anyone want to downgrade the video content?

Original Poster

i take it i dont do that then guv?

Banned

loulou1981;5229294

i take it i dont do that then guv?

It would allow you to watch the files, but its a lot of effort when its not needed to be done. (And the quality would be reduced.) The whole point of MKV is the fact its HD!

Have you installed Lazymans MKV? Can you see it as an option to uninstall in Start > programs ?

Original Poster

no i cant see it in start- options nor can i see it when i try open and find source to open it with ? ive tried looking but cant find it did i just have to download opion one of the three ?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5229416

VLC should be able o do it fine, try and update that.

ive just installed it though today

Banned

loulou1981;5229448

no i cant see it in start- options nor can i see it when i try open and … no i cant see it in start- options nor can i see it when i try open and find source to open it with ? ive tried looking but cant find it did i just have to download opion one of the three ?

In which case you haven't installed it. Try another download. (Look for the highest version number)

Banned

loulou1981;5229118

oh right, i dont know hardly anything but files and out of date- how do i … oh right, i dont know hardly anything but files and out of date- how do i fix this? is it just a case of downloading another codecs? All i know is what you guys have taught me so far :-D if it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt be watching it at all :thumbsup:Maybe i will try your one but other one was quicker so went with that first. do i just have to open it with that once done?

If you've downloaded it illegally won't the quality suffer when you watch it.

EDIT - oops, I was composing an email at the same time and Copied and pasted the wrong thing.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;5229523

If you've downloaded it illegally won't the quality suffer when Jacob … If you've downloaded it illegally won't the quality suffer when Jacob get's stabbed by Ben and you find out that John Locke was dead all the long?

You've Lost the Plot F&F

Banned

guv;5229537

You've Lost the Plot F&F

Please delete the quote - accidentally pasted the wrong thing and wouldn't like to spoil tomorrow night's plot for people.

Apologies people.:oops:

Banned

FilthAndFurry;5229565

Please delete the quote - accidentally pasted the wrong thing and … Please delete the quote - accidentally pasted the wrong thing and wouldn't like to spoil tomorrow night's plot for people.Apologies people.:oops:

I don't believe you. You would never download from torrents or newsgroups so you could never know. This must be in jest.

Banned

guv;5229580

I don't believe you. You would never download from torrents or newsgroups … I don't believe you. You would never download from torrents or newsgroups so you could never know. This must be in jest.

Slingplayer.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;5229591

Slingplayer.

Of course dear.

guv;5229235

Why would anyone want to downgrade the video content?

It's a different codec granted, but the resolution remains the same.:whistling:

Banned

moob;5229691

It's a different codec granted, but the resolution remains the same.

How would the screen resolution remain the same?

guv;5229743

Because you encode to mpg which preserves the resolution. It's how I re-encode all my mkv files - mainly 720p and they remain at 1280x720 in mpg format.:p

Banned

moob;5229832

Because you encode to mpg which preserves the resolution. It's how I … Because you encode to mpg which preserves the resolution. It's how I re-encode all my mkv files - mainly 720p and they remain at 1280x720 in mpg format.:p

Within a VOB DVD structure?

guv;5229846

Within a VOB DVD structure?

Never mentioned anything about vob/dvd - you obviously assumed that because of the program name.

The file extension is .mpg and the .mkv files are transcoded using the x264 codec - meaning no recompression.

You should read up on it before giving disinformation about it.:roll:

Banned

moob;5230425

Never mentioned anything about vob/dvd - you obviously assumed that … Never mentioned anything about vob/dvd - you obviously assumed that because of the program name.The file extension is .mpg and the .mkv files are transcoded using the x264 codec - meaning no recompression.You should read up on it before giving disinformation about it.:roll:

Hmmmm.... MKV/VOB does imply it! :w00t:

guv;5230488

Hmmmm.... MKV/VOB does imply it! :w00t:

Doesn't mean you're any less wrong.:p

Banned

moob;5230745

Doesn't mean you're any less wrong.:p

hehe...:p

Original Poster

Im now going to download k lite, when i do then should i just open the file with it?

My file has now got dvd decoder written on it after i opened it with it, does it matter?

Original Poster

ive downloaded it, it says i cant run the klite as its corrupt ? also it disappeard and i had to go through where i saved it to ?

Why don't you try what I suggested earlier?

Original Poster

another one that im getting is working hopefully wont take long to get here!!

Thanks for info on codecs etc....if anyone has time to explain file types n codecs in a email i would greatfully appreciate it as i woul dlike to understand it for future use.

Thanks again Louise

Original Poster

cos i aint got a clue!

Download the program and read] this guide.

guv;5229743

The screen resolution can be anything you specify. MKV files and VOB files are containers and as such they do not make any postulations on the resolution of the video. This means that metadata is used to specify the resolution, audio format and the codec used, along with other factors such as frame rate. In fact, a VOB file may even use the same codec as an MKV file, or an AVI file, or an MPG file and so on and so forth.

People mistakingly believe that MKV files are only for high definition content and all other containers to be standard resolution for the reason that they do not know what a container is. In reality, all containers are capable of encapsulating high definition content.

Moob's suggestion of re-encoding is a good idea because this will guarantee successful playback of the video because re-encoding will use a codec that exists on the PC in which the encoding is taking place. However, re-encoding to other containers other than VOB are just as viable.

loulou1981;5231240

another one that im getting is working hopefully wont take long to get … another one that im getting is working hopefully wont take long to get here!!Thanks for info on codecs etc....if anyone has time to explain file types n codecs in a email i would greatfully appreciate it as i woul dlike to understand it for future use.Thanks again Louise

I am happy to explain codecs here. The name codec is an acronym for compressor-decompressor. To convert an uncompressed video to a compressed format, an encoder is used to, surprise, surprise, encode the video using a codec to a compressed format. The resultant video will be smaller but may suffer from loss of quality depending on the codec used. If a lossy codec is used then compression will result in loss of quality and it is impossible to revert the process to get back to the original video. Lossless codecs do not result in any degradation in quality but compression is not as great as with encoding using a lossy codec.

Now, to play back a video that was encoded or compressed using a codec, you will need the same codec to decode or decompress the video. Hence, a codec can be used for both compressing and decompressing.

Original Poster

thanks ElliotC, do you have to have th exact same codec or will any codec do it ?

What about files? y are there so many!

loulou1981;5241110

thanks ElliotC, do you have to have th exact same codec or will any codec … thanks ElliotC, do you have to have th exact same codec or will any codec do it ?What about files? y are there so many!

Even when using the same video codec for movie playback you may experience problems. The reason is that you may have the correct video codec (and no it doesn't have to be "exact" - just that it supports the same specifications) but you may be lacking the audio codec. Remember, the movie needs to be encoded with audio as well as video.

An even greater problem, especially for those who download re-encoded files from the internet, is that the original encoder did not know what they were doing and specified a sampling rate for the sound which does not match the video rates. This will result in lip-synch problems later on in the video (or even right from the beginning if the encoder is very inept).

There are many different container files (AVI, MPG, MKV, VOB, etc) because there is no central body for ratifying how video should be encoded or decoded. Microsoft introduced AVI and WMV. Matroska introduced the MKV format. Apple have the Quicktime format. Without a central body to define a single standard, manufacturers and developers are at will to push their own technologies.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions