Help please - 4G instead of aDSL at home?

Found 3rd Oct 2017
Has anyone successfully made the switch to 4G at home and binned their home aDSL?

In terms of usage - netflix streaming, sometimes two different streams at once (not HD)

Or, just netflix streaming plus reg. surfing

Just wondering if one tablet tethered off a phone, plus one lappy off same tether will be okay or will I need one dedicated SIM for the tablet and another for the laptop? (In which case I may as well get fibre, trying to wangle in a new device with more flexibility)

TIA
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
if your streaming tv and films you will eat a lot of data quickly so it will more than likely end up costing you more for 4g than home broadband. Vodaphone are currently doing fibre with line rental for £20 a month.
I don’t use it at home, but I tether from my iPhone at our caravan to stream Netflix, play Xbox Live games alongside connections from the kids on their devices.

It’s not faultless but more than acceptable. There’s the occasional buffer when streaming Netflix, but nothing to deter me from using it. The caravan is situated on the East coast and the signal isn’t the best. The only issues I’ve had with it other there is getting the Q box to connect via hotspot.

I currently pay Three £16 a month for unlimited data plus 30gb hotspot.
Here's OpenSignals 4G Average speed results.

EE - 31.77 Mbps
Three - 23.04 Mbps
Vodafone - 18.17 Mbps
o2 - 15.42 Mbps
Edited by: "4Real2016" 4th Oct 2017
4Real20167 h, 37 m ago

Your be lucky if you get an actual speed of 30 Mbps / 3.75 MB/s, that's …Your be lucky if you get an actual speed of 30 Mbps / 3.75 MB/s, that's about as fast as my home broadband and that's only just good enough for one SD stream.

That's a hell of a high quality SD stream. DVD quality is a mere 9.8Mbps, and most streaming services are 2-3Mbps.

Netflix only recommend 25Mbps for their whiz-bang 4K HDR streams.

Mobile broadband signal isn't quite as consistent so not as good for stuff like gaming. Less real tme interactive stuff like streaming and web browsing should be fine, although as mentioned the data cap will be the biggest issue.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 3rd Oct 2017
EndlessWaves2 h, 5 m ago

That's a hell of a high quality SD stream. DVD quality is a mere 9.8Mbps, …That's a hell of a high quality SD stream. DVD quality is a mere 9.8Mbps, and most streaming services are 2-3Mbps. Netflix only recommend 25Mbps for their whiz-bang 4K HDR streams.Mobile broadband signal isn't quite as consistent so not as good for stuff like streaming. Less real tme interactive stuff like streaming and web browsing should be fine, although as mentioned the data cap will be the biggest issue.

Yeah your right, insomnia has me off my game
Thanks, guys, I'll look at Voda's fibre deal. Sky increased me from £11 a month to £36 because I didn't cancel in time, so not best pleased with them. Plus I can't get a signal in my bedroom. Kinda pointless.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants