Expired

Help Please: Best place to get Skirting Boards...

LocalFound 7th Dec 2014
I have literally stripped all the previous skirting boards in a house I moved in. Trying to replace them all but not sure what to look for.
Any recommendations on where to go.. i.e suppliers, chains and also what type to use.
Appreciate all the help.
Community Updates
AskBoard GameDIYSkirt
15 Comments
Local timber merchants normally provide the best deals and can advise on your needs. Failing that I always find wickes good.
mudds

Local timber merchants normally provide the best deals and can advise on … Local timber merchants normally provide the best deals and can advise on your needs. Failing that I always find wickes good.

Thanks... do you know which brand or type to go for?
Depends on your budget. Solid wood is best but not the cheapest.
And as above local timber merchants are best
Just a tip for you, you can buy it cheapest at the local timber merchants.
When you are fitting it use grip fill and just a couple of nails just to hold it while it sets, also paint them before fitting, it saves a lot of hard work on your knees. Just touch up the nail holes after
try the plastic skirting boards if you want to keep them white no maintenance and easy to fit look good and never have to paint just a wipe down. you can get them from fascias.com or most local plastics suppliers.
Pre primed mdf is what I go for..... no need for knotting stuff and the need to sand,
Wickes is good but check for any warps in the wood or any large knots that have come loose & fallen out.
I got mine from Jewsons and they are really lovely. They are 6 and half inches in height and I just waxed them. They are one of the things in the house visitors have commended on.
which area are you from. selco is alot cheaper and has more selection than wickes.
Jewson or Travis Perkins - I have bought the Torus / Ogee double sided boards - they deliver locally for free and is good quality. My advice, use the wood - I think it looks better than the pre primed mdf and get longer pieces that don't need joining - it looks much neater!
I bought 3 metres of solid wood skirting from burbridges in Broadstairs for £3.50 I hope this helps
kash2013

which area are you from. selco is alot cheaper and has more selection … which area are you from. selco is alot cheaper and has more selection than wickes.

I am based in East London
Thanks all, I will try Jewson I have about a mile away. If not then Wickes.

Appreciate all the response, thanks all.
I got my MDF pre-primed skirting from B&Q. 3.6m lengths for £14 each, but sometimes on offer in store in packs of 5. Go on a Wednesday with a pensioner for 10% off!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants