Groups

HELP Please Blue screen and Windows XP Home edition disc wont work

I have the correct C D and have put it in the drive but my pc will not boot from the disc, I have tried changing the boot order but it does not seem to work any help would be appreciated. Thank you

This is on my daughters computer and she could install another operating system disc but does not want to lose her work.

27 Comments

What happens when you attempt to boot from the CD after changing the boot order? Does it sound like the system is trying to boot from CD then failing? Does the CD read ok in other machines? What make is the machine you're trying to repair?

Original Poster

Its a Dell and when we try to run it is says press F1 to try again

we are not too clever when it comes to technology, we just get by:oops:

Did the machine have any trouble reading CDs before the bluescreen? It sounds like it's having difficulty reading the CD, I assume the error is something like F1 to run setup or F2 to try again?

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5786510

Did the machine have any trouble reading CDs before the bluescreen? It … Did the machine have any trouble reading CDs before the bluescreen? It sounds like it's having difficulty reading the CD, I assume the error is something like F1 to run setup or F2 to try again?John

never had a problem before just turned it on tonight and started to do a AVG scan then it went off and blue screened

Does the disc read ok in other machines? Can you hear the drive attempting to read the CD for a while then giving up? Are there any other messages aside from the F1 message? I assume you've tried booting off the CD through the F12 option?

John

Original Poster

no can hear the drive its just the message you stated the F1 one and the CD is brand new never been ued, it came with the computer, how can we try it in another computer, wont it interfere with the other computer - told you we were not too clever

Original Poster

just trying again to boot through the F12 option - how do you do that by the way - just making sure my daughter is doing the right thing - I havent got a clue

To test it another computer you can boot the PC as normal and then insert the CD, it will autorun and ask you if you want to run Windows setup but just cancel this. Then go to My Computer, right click the CD drive and go to open - you should be able to see some folders, try opening a couple just to see if it's possible. If the machine opens the files without issue then clearly the CD is fine however if it seems to be taking a long time or erroring then the CD may be faulty.

As long as you cancel the autorun program it won't touch your system.

John

Can't you start it in safe mode? When booting up Press F8 or might be Delete or another F button on Dells, Not sure so try them all until you get the option to start in safe mode.

If it's successful then try a system restore.

If not one of the F button's or Delete may bring up a boot screen where you should be able to manually select the Disc drive.

Original Poster

when trying to boot through the F12 option it says strike F1 to retry boot or F2 for setup utility
    So when I press F1 it sends me the message again
    and when I press F2 it sends me to Bios

octobergirl;5786549

just trying again to boot through the F12 option - how do you do that by … just trying again to boot through the F12 option - how do you do that by the way - just making sure my daughter is doing the right thing - I havent got a clue

When the system powers up you should get the Dell logo before it starts to try to boot anything, if you press F12 it should bring up a list of boot devices and let you choose one rather than having to choose a boot order. This is the case for most of the Dells I've used and is more convenient for one time boots. How long does it take before you get the F1 message coming up, is it straight away or does the Cd spin for a while first?

John

shauneco;5786562

Can't you start it in safe mode? When booting up Press F8 or might be … Can't you start it in safe mode? When booting up Press F8 or might be Delete or another F button on Dells, Not sure so try them all until you get the option to start in safe mode.If it's successful then try a system restore.If not one of the F button's or Delete may bring up a boot screen where you should be able to manually select the Disc drive.

It is F8 as that's a Windows option rather than the bios.

John

Original Poster

right guys - just printed all this off and given to my daughter who has gone upstairs to try and put the cd in her laptop and do what you say - you are so very kind thank you for helping, will be back shortly to update.
    She said the CD does not spin at all in the dell
    back in 5 minutes

Original Poster

CD is fine runs ok on the laptop - any other ideas please

Could the drive possibly be faulty?, Try pushing it in a little could possibly have come loose.

Also are you sure it's the disc drive selected it the bios?

Original Poster

for boot order it gives her only two options ide disc or hard drive, I picked the ide disc -
    also she just rememberd she tried to rip a cd before and it would not pick up the disc
    so probably it the disc drive

It sounds like the drive isn't being detected, the F12 boot order is generated by whatever bootable devices the system can find so if the optical drive is faulty and not responding it won't show there. What model of Dell is this? If you go into setup there should be a section that tells you what hardware is installed in terms of processor, ram and optical drive - if it shows nothing for optical drive then the system isn't detecting it. Depending on what type of system it is it's worth trying to slide the drive out and reinsert it to make sure it is sitting correctly.

John

Original Poster

It it worth fixing this its an old computer a Dell 2400 - about 5 yr old - I have jusst been told she has to have it fixed - all her work it on it.

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5786831

It sounds like the drive isn't being detected, the F12 boot order is … It sounds like the drive isn't being detected, the F12 boot order is generated by whatever bootable devices the system can find so if the optical drive is faulty and not responding it won't show there. What model of Dell is this? If you go into setup there should be a section that tells you what hardware is installed in terms of processor, ram and optical drive - if it shows nothing for optical drive then the system isn't detecting it. Depending on what type of system it is it's worth trying to slide the drive out and reinsert it to make sure it is sitting correctly.John

does that mean pull the cd holder thingy out

Failing all you could boot windows from a USB dongle.

Plenty of how to guides, However I've only experience booting Vista from USB.

octobergirl;5786868

does that mean pull the cd holder thingy out

I was assuming this was a laptop but I guess this is a desktop? If so, open the side of the casing and ensure the connectors are firmly into the CD drive - there should be two sets, a wide ribbon cable (IDE for data) and a small white one (power).

If it's just the data that's important you can buy a small device which allows you to connect the hard drive to another machine over USB for around 12 pounds or so.

John

Original Poster

thank you so much - will get hubby to do this when he comes home - he has even less idea than us but hes handy with a screwdriver
    Will let you know tomorrow - would you mind if I contact you via pm tomorrow if we have a problem for a bit more advice

octobergirl;5786943

thank you so much - will get hubby to do this when he comes home - he has … thank you so much - will get hubby to do this when he comes home - he has even less idea than us but hes handy with a screwdriverWill let you know tomorrow - would you mind if I contact you via pm tomorrow if we have a problem for a bit more advice

No problem at all, it sounds a bit of a tricky problem unfortunately - from what you've said it sounds like there's a good chance a piece of hardware has failed so even if you get the system booting from the CD you may find you won't be able to get very far. You can see how you get on though.

John

Banned

and get your daughter a usb memory stick so she can have a backup of important data (once working again of course).

Original Poster

csiman;5789022

and get your daughter a usb memory stick so she can have a backup of … and get your daughter a usb memory stick so she can have a backup of important data (once working again of course).

thanks - will do:thumbsup:

Original Poster

all working now - friend called arounf and took my cd drive off this one and put on hers, to be able to download windows home edition - wiped hard drive clean and it all fine now
    THANK YOU EVERYONE xxx

Banned

octobergirl;5793044

all working now - friend called arounf and took my cd drive off this one … all working now - friend called arounf and took my cd drive off this one and put on hers, to be able to download windows home edition - wiped hard drive clean and it all fine nowTHANK YOU EVERYONE xxx

you downloaded windows home edition! :w00t:

Guess it wont last long then :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3711437
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread417514151
      3. WHY CANT I JUST TYPE IN THE TEXT BOX11
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764604

See more discussions