Help please: Bootcamp partition space advice needed for windows installation on Mac

Found 14th Nov 2017
Hi all I’m going to partition my Mac to install windows for some windows only games and would like some advice please.

Q1: Can I just partition the drive with just enough space recommend to install windows 10 plus 20% extra?

Q2: Can I then partition an external hard drive so one partition works on Mac and the other on windows for my games?

Q3: Where is the best place to obtain an windows 10 iso file? Do I need to purchase a product key?

Many thank
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
1. sure
2. yes but partition isn't required
3. legally, microsoft.com - illegally.. torrent

running games from external drive isn't the best idea because they are slower than your internal hdd or ssd, make sure you get a fast external hdd and you shouldn't have an issue - any that you don't have to plug in will likely be crap due to low power
1. No, the recommended 20GB is far too small. My windows folder alone is that size after just six months, not counting all the other required stuff like user data, default programs and so on. I'd be going for 40-50GB minimum.

2. I've not tried installing games to a USB drive but I wouldn't expect it to be a problem most of the time. You may see the occasional issue though. You can partition if you like to keep things neat and to allow each to use their preferred file system.

3. You do need to buy it yes. I'd just grab the boxed version of Amazon. You can get a download version to but you have to burn it to thumb drive anyway so you may as well buy the one with the drive included.
Windows 10 will work fine even with no license code... It just has some limitations like you cannot change wallpaper and you get a watermark. Other than that it works fine.

I did the same to play GTA5 on my Macbook Pro and never bothered getting a serial key for Windows to play a game on it.

Still working fine with no code inserted after months.
Edited by: "hearts22" 15th Nov 2017
Kmspico ;).
Win10 will work but may not do future updates without activation (you can get around this using 3rd party updaters), plus there certain limitations within settings..
hearts228 h, 5 m ago

Windows 10 will work fine even with no license code... It just has some …Windows 10 will work fine even with no license code... It just has some limitations like you cannot change wallpaper and you get a watermark. Other than that it works fine.I did the same to play GTA5 on my Macbook Pro and never bothered getting a serial key for Windows to play a game on it.

You've got a high end luxury computer so you're clearly not short of cash, what possible reason can you have for trying to use someone's work without paying after they've asked?
Use VMWare fusion or Parallels and Install a Windows VM, no need to partition the drive then, another Bonus is no need to reboot between running Windows/MaC
EndlessWaves2 h, 37 m ago

You've got a high end luxury computer so you're clearly not short of cash, …You've got a high end luxury computer so you're clearly not short of cash, what possible reason can you have for trying to use someone's work without paying after they've asked?

Because I am not doing anything illegal? What comment is this sorry?
Windows keeps working fine and Microsoft doesn't stop you using it but just limits what you can do. Go and inform yourself.
Say that to those who buy illegal keys or pirate them.

I bought the game FYI and as for the macbook I saved for it. It's the 13 inch without touchbar and GTA5 runs fine on it.

I'm not rich and I'm not stupid either.

Why would I buy a license for W10 when I rarely boot into it to play the game...
Having limitations like not being able to change the wallpaper is fine for me.

Microsoft permits this and doesn't bother them so why on earth would it bother you...
Edited by: "hearts22" 15th Nov 2017
Thanks guys
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions