Groups

Help Please Car Mechanics

Today my dad took his car into the garage to get a service and he thought the tracking on the wheels was off so he asked them to fix that too. The manny at the garage then called up my dad and said he needed a new power steering unit. He quoted my dad £400 just for the part!!! I think this is very expensive and that my dad could be getting swizzled. His car is a grande punto 1.2 active. Does ayone know how much a power steering unit would cost at trade price??

Cheers Buddies

14 Comments

What is the "part" required?

Punto Power Steering Pump
    Punto Power Steering Pump & Column £220 + 2 year warranty. Buy it now!
    [url]www.ecutesting.com[/url]

evilbay has them here item number 350149796566

so in effect they are charging the extra 200 for fitting which seems expensive to me i would ring round a few garages see if theres a difference in price

Original Poster

the whole steering unit aparently :?

Original Poster

linw;7017415

Punto Power Steering PumpPunto Power Steering Pump & Column £220 + 2 year … Punto Power Steering PumpPunto Power Steering Pump & Column £220 + 2 year warranty. Buy it now![url]www.ecutesting.com[/url]

yeah i looked at these but they are only reconditioned ones :thinking:

thesaint;7017398

What is the "part" required?

OP

and said he needed a new power steering unit

:roll:

Think it may be a new power steering unit?

harlzter;7017423

:roll:Think it may be a new power steering unit?

No such thing.

:roll: back at you. :roll:

the ebay item number is 350149796566 for a grande punto
    Fiat Punto Grande 1.2 8v electric steering unit including ecu, please contact me before buying. I will need the part number from your existing unit to see if I can match up to it, please note that this unit is non returnable, and will be supplied with an examiner report confirming that it is in full working order.

Yeah was told about this the other day by a friend .Wife has a Grande punto and i have been warned about steering problems that have started cropping up with them and costing upwards of £500 to fix due to the electronic power steering, How many miles has it done and is it still inside the warranty,

What year is the car....if i'm right the Granda Punto was launched on the 55/06 plate crossover so may possibly be worth a phonecall to Fiat as the car can't be that far out of warranty (if it is out of warranty) for a cheap quick fix if it is a leak that is causing the problem he could try this
    fiatbravoautomotiveenhancement.blogspot.com/200…tml

Original Poster

tonyg1962;7017472

How many miles has it done and is it still inside the warranty,

cosmicdav3;7017495

What year is the car

its an 06 plate and my dads has only done around 17k miles, ach i got a grande punto 06 plate too and my motor in the fan went and i called up as the warranty was only 2 or 3 days over and they wouldnt have anything to do with it. So in that respect they r ***** that way lol

try bb reman, we have used them in the past, in fact we have just fitted a corsa electric power steering unit supplied by them, the steering unit has to be calibrated after fittment otherwise it becomes undrivable.

]BB Reman Fiat Punto/Brava/Bravo Electric Power Steering

what is the actual problem with the steering, has there been any dash warning lights on ?

]here is a link that might help explain it a bit more.

Original Poster

richp;7017666

what is the actual problem with the steering, has there been any dash … what is the actual problem with the steering, has there been any dash warning lights on.

its kept pulling to the left, and no lights on dash board, but i did notice that when my dad was pulling away from junctions, car spaces etc his was like making this crunching sound whereas i knew that wasnt right cause mines doesnt do that lol

crazyblondechick;7017741

its kept pulling to the left, and no lights on dash board, but i did … its kept pulling to the left, and no lights on dash board, but i did notice that when my dad was pulling away from junctions, car spaces etc his was like making this crunching sound whereas i knew that wasnt right cause mines doesnt do that lol

might be worth getting a second opinion, I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious here, but his tyre pressures are set at the correct pressure ?

Original Poster

richp;7017788

his tyre pressures are set at the correct pressure ?

think so, he was getting new tyres anyhoo. I asked a garage guy i know if he could find out the trade price and he said it was £428 :shock: :shock:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Android "Amazon rewards" pop-up???66
      2. Iphone 7 - What Case?622
      3. Ditched Sky1315
      4. What would be a Mario Kart type game for the PS4?33

See more discussions