Groups

Help Please, computer keeps restarting.

Hi I have a problem with my PC (Vista), it keeps restarting. It loads all the way to the desktop and then restarts, It will not load in Safe Mode either it restart just as the windows logo comes up. I have tried running shutdown -a but this does not stop it either. It is a Medion PC just over a year old. I have swapped the RAM and it still restarts. I just wondered if any computer genius' would be able to point me in the right direction.

13 Comments

Will it let you do a system restore?

Any error messages or just constant reboots?

Original Poster

No it shuts down before i can do anything

Original Poster

Just constant reboots

did u install anything before this started to happen?

I had a vista update come through earlier, if you did too could that be anything to do with it? It did an automatic shutdown and restart on mine

Banned

My medion computer came with the application and restore disk, put that in and perform a factory restore and it should fix the problem if it is software based but you would lose the data you have on the c:

Gominto the Bios and disable automatic restart on system crash,Then next time it crashes you will get a blue screen with an error report instead of just restarting

tonyg1962;4361217

Gominto the Bios and disable automatic restart on system crash,Then next … Gominto the Bios and disable automatic restart on system crash,Then next time it crashes you will get a blue screen with an error report instead of just restarting

this is not a bios feature its a windows feature and you need access to windows to do it.

@OP u need a vista disk to check the disk and repair any errors, after that is done go straight into safe mode, do a system restore before allowing a normal boot.

This always works:
    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1830717/2/istockphoto_1830717_sledge_hammer.jpg

My brother had this problem, his desktop got all manky inside so he stripped down put it back together, with no thermal paste.

kingy58;4364383

This always works:

thats what I always use...lol

maddogb;4364351

this is not a bios feature its a windows feature and you need access to … this is not a bios feature its a windows feature and you need access to windows to do it..

Can't remember if this works on vista but I remember from XP..

F8 on startup (before windows logo) to get to boot selection screen, then F8 again brings up more advanced options, one of which is disable auto matic restart on failure.

Do that and hopefully it'll give you a BSOD which will give you some idea of what's wrong.

Or just boot a vista disc, more repair options in there..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2031
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764284
      3. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…55
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31148

See more discussions