Help please - food processor not working

Posted 1st Jan
Bought this over a year ago and as you do it goes it cupboard.

Got it out a few weeks ago to use and no power ( changed fuse just incase too ).

As it’s over year guarantee the shop (Sainsburys) won’t take it back. Rang kenwood and no luck there just referred me to repairers.

I know there’s safety cut offs .

Any ideas to troubleshoot it?

3379080-bZq92.jpg
3379080-ocdwV.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

47 Comments
The motor could have gone
Arto01/01/2020 11:58

The motor could have gone

I was hoping it was something more simple as it’s brand new , never been used, that’s pretty bad of ken wood . Thanks for replying
Gucci6901/01/2020 12:00

I was hoping it was something more simple as it’s brand new , never been u …I was hoping it was something more simple as it’s brand new , never been used, that’s pretty bad of ken wood . Thanks for replying

Should always use regularly even for 5 minutes as some times parts can stop working if not used for a long time
Arto01/01/2020 12:01

Should always use regularly even for 5 minutes as some times parts can …Should always use regularly even for 5 minutes as some times parts can stop working if not used for a long time

Righto sounds like the bin for this one, expensive mistake although thankfully it’s one of their cheaper models
Gucci6901/01/2020 12:03

Righto sounds like the bin for this one, expensive mistake although …Righto sounds like the bin for this one, expensive mistake although thankfully it’s one of their cheaper models

Could always open it up and check for a loose wire or something, if your going to bin it anyways your not losing anything
Sounds daft but make sure the bowl is on correctly and is engaging the safety switch otherwise it won't work !
Arto01/01/2020 12:04

Could always open it up and check for a loose wire or something, if your …Could always open it up and check for a loose wire or something, if your going to bin it anyways your not losing anything

Good idea , there’s no obvious reason for it not to work, everything locks in place with the plastic bowl thing , checked the fuse, so I’ll try opening up before I pop it in the bin 🙃
furbars01/01/2020 12:05

Sounds daft but make sure the bowl is on correctly and is engaging the …Sounds daft but make sure the bowl is on correctly and is engaging the safety switch otherwise it won't work !

Hi yeah Its all locking in - not sure where the safety switch is?
Gucci6901/01/2020 12:06

Hi yeah Its all locking in - not sure where the safety switch is?

On the top/side of the machine it self the bowl will have some lugs on it that will push it down when seated correctly.
It can be inbuilt to when a bowl or lid slots in the right way.
You changed the fuse but do you know the new one is OK? What size fuse did you put in?
furbars01/01/2020 12:09

On the top/side of the machine it self the bowl will have some lugs on it …On the top/side of the machine it self the bowl will have some lugs on it that will push it down when seated correctly.

39558087-2n6Gv.jpg
These grey bits
Gucci6901/01/2020 12:05

Good idea , there’s no obvious reason for it not to work, everything locks …Good idea , there’s no obvious reason for it not to work, everything locks in place with the plastic bowl thing , checked the fuse, so I’ll try opening up before I pop it in the bin 🙃

39558120-TeibA.jpg
With it switched OFF and UNPLUGGED try turning the motor with a wooden spoon or similar.
39558154-ZAxbu.jpg
39558154-qIIA4.jpg
That wires quite bent
joyf453601/01/2020 12:11

You changed the fuse but do you know the new one is OK? What size fuse did …You changed the fuse but do you know the new one is OK? What size fuse did you put in?

13amp same as I too out
joyf453601/01/2020 12:17

With it switched OFF and UNPLUGGED try turning the motor with a wooden …With it switched OFF and UNPLUGGED try turning the motor with a wooden spoon or similar.

39558185-ZqekA.jpg
Turned the motor
Have you tried taking it back to Sainsburys? I know that you've said that it's just over a year old but I'd try returning it to store if you still have the receipt, it's worth a go in case they just might give you the refund when you tell them that it has stopped working.
Gucci6901/01/2020 12:11

[Image] These grey bits

Could be I would have tried pushing them down with something when turned on before taking it apart though !
Gucci6901/01/2020 12:17

[Image] [Image] That wires quite bent

They have to bend to go around corners.
Gucci6901/01/2020 12:20

[Image] Turned the motor

OK well if it moved freely it's not seized or stuck.
joyf453601/01/2020 12:30

OK well if it moved freely it's not seized or stuck.

Like the said the motor has probably stopped working
try the blender

if it works, then you have the same problem as reported here (design fault)

This is a great appliance — WHEN IT WORKS. Sometimes it doesn’t turn on - I think it’s an overzealous safety feature

youtube.com/wat…h3E
Still mostly likely to be the switch or a connection.
Take it back to Sainsburys and quote to them that according to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods are expected to last a reasonable period of time. Whether used (but not abused) or not any consumer would expect an item such as this to last a few years.
If they disagree, a polite challenge might be for them to state publicly that all electrical items they sell are not likely to last a year. You could embarrass them by casually asking another shopper nearby how long THEY would expect it to last.
Your legal contract is with them, not the manufacturer, if they want to take it from you and deal with the party they bought it from that's their call and you can bear no liability for it.

The only problem you might have now is evidence that you opened it, scratches around screws etc. unless you can put it back together nicely.
Edited by: "Verbal.Kint" 1st Jan
39558529-Fp5CY.jpg
Blender not working either
Verbal.Kint01/01/2020 12:53

Take it back to Sainsburys and quote to them that according to the …Take it back to Sainsburys and quote to them that according to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods are expected to last a reasonable period of time. Whether used (but not abused) or not any consumer would expect an item such as this to last a few years.If they disagree, a polite challenge might be for them to state publicly that all electrical items they sell are not likely to last a year. You could embarrass them by casually asking another shopper nearby how long THEY would expect it to last. Your legal contract is with them, not the manufacturer, if they want to take it from you and deal with the party they bought it from that's their call and you can bear no liability for it.The only problem you might have now is evidence that you opened it, scratches around screws etc. unless you can put it back together nicely.

Thanks Verbal, I tried to explain most of that at the time and even escalated it to speak to someone else however they put me through to a phone customer service rep, I was there about 45 minutes and then I gave up, otherwise I would have spoken to the manager. I think you are right , I should try again and I’ll quote the consumer act , if I’d been using it and it suddenly stopped after a year out of warranty then I’d begrudgingly understand however this one hasn’t been used once. Kenwood were not much good on the phone either. They gave me a link for a repairer site however guess that will be chargeable. It puts you off buying electricals from Sainsburys or Kenwood now if the after service is this.
Instructions in case you havent got them

39558973-EgC1W.jpg39558973-VIyZb.jpg
chocci01/01/2020 13:47

Instructions in case you havent got them[Image] [Image]

Thanks chocci, your right I can’t locate them. Followed all steps and all correct. I think it’s a bin job now ..,
Gucci6901/01/2020 13:53

Thanks chocci, your right I can’t locate them. Followed all steps and all …Thanks chocci, your right I can’t locate them. Followed all steps and all correct. I think it’s a bin job now ..,

May sound stupid i know but have you tried plugging it into another socket in case its that and not actually anything wrong with the machine?
Dyslexic_Dog01/01/2020 14:33

May sound stupid i know but have you tried plugging it into another socket …May sound stupid i know but have you tried plugging it into another socket in case its that and not actually anything wrong with the machine?

Good question. Yes I tried that , all power working
Gucci6901/01/2020 13:53

Thanks chocci, your right I can’t locate them. Followed all steps and all …Thanks chocci, your right I can’t locate them. Followed all steps and all correct. I think it’s a bin job now ..,

Just wondering if the same merchant is still selling the same product, not that such a combination would provide any possible solution within 30 days of purchase...
AndyRoyd01/01/2020 15:16

Just wondering if the same merchant is still selling the same product, …Just wondering if the same merchant is still selling the same product, not that such a combination would provide any possible solution within 30 days of purchase...

Thanks Andy, I am a bit sceptical about buying from Sainsburys or kenwood now, I think I’ll either stick with my trusty mini processor or try another brand. The after service could have been better.
Gucci6901/01/2020 15:30

Thanks Andy, I am a bit sceptical about buying from Sainsburys or kenwood …Thanks Andy, I am a bit sceptical about buying from Sainsburys or kenwood now, I think I’ll either stick with my trusty mini processor or try another brand. The after service could have been better.

I’ve never liked Sainsbury’s tbh

Thanks Andy, I am a bit sceptical about buying from Sainsburys or kenwood …Thanks Andy, I am a bit sceptical about buying from Sainsburys or kenwood now, I think I’ll either stick with my trusty mini processor or try another brand. The after service could have been better.

How did you pay? If paid via card you could consider chargeback which typically has zero cost to consumer even if the CB claim is rejected. Be awkward and cause the merchant some hassle.

Could maybe consider an LBA even if you don't take it further after the LBA. Sainsburys has a statutory obligation for 6months from purchase, and further stat obligations beyond 6m if you can reasonably show the item is not FFP or below commensurate quality expectations. Presumably you paid £60+ and if so it would/should be reasonable to expect a commensurate quality item that had no / little use to last longer than just over a year, especially if the user manual does not recommend occasional use to maintain functionality.
Yes I think it was around £70 mark. I think i had a £10 voucher so it was about £60 cash. In one way I obviously don’t need one very much as I hadn’t tried to use if for over a year however I would have expected it to work first time. I may write a complaint letter first and see how that goes as I did feel fobbed off In store:
Gucci6901/01/2020 13:01

Thanks Verbal, I tried to explain most of that at the time and even …Thanks Verbal, I tried to explain most of that at the time and even escalated it to speak to someone else however they put me through to a phone customer service rep, I was there about 45 minutes and then I gave up, otherwise I would have spoken to the manager. I think you are right , I should try again and I’ll quote the consumer act , if I’d been using it and it suddenly stopped after a year out of warranty then I’d begrudgingly understand however this one hasn’t been used once. Kenwood were not much good on the phone either. They gave me a link for a repairer site however guess that will be chargeable. It puts you off buying electricals from Sainsburys or Kenwood now if the after service is this.

I would conduct the rest of this in written form with them now. State that the store has refused to accept their legal obligations under the consumer Rights Act 2015 and that you now require them to confirm in writing to you that they do NOT consider any electrical item to last at least 12 months.
Verbal.Kint01/01/2020 16:59

I would conduct the rest of this in written form with them now. State that …I would conduct the rest of this in written form with them now. State that the store has refused to accept their legal obligations under the consumer Rights Act 2015 and that you now require them to confirm in writing to you that they do NOT consider any electrical item to last at least 12 months.

Verbal, good one, I will do that. Thank you for the guidance
Verbal.Kint01/01/2020 16:59

I would conduct the rest of this in written form with them now. State that …I would conduct the rest of this in written form with them now. State that the store has refused to accept their legal obligations under the consumer Rights Act 2015 and that you now require them to confirm in writing to you that they do NOT consider any electrical item to last at least 12 months.

OP can ask any question of the merchant but there is zero requirement for a merchant to make any such declaration. A reasonable merchant will simply sidestep such a request with an appropriate comment resembling "unfortunately we cannot assist" which would leave OP needing to credibly satisfy other points of CRA which would likely involve a disproportionate cost to obtain. No harm in OP embarrassing themselves by making such a request, but it would certainly reduce OPs credibility if OP subsequently chose to go down the LBA route.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants