HELP Please: Glass or acrylic for staircase

Found 18th Dec 2012
Can anyone please advise on whether glass or acrylic is better for putting panels into staircase balustrading? also any companies that are good prices for cutting such glass. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Misc
21 Comments
Banned
Too posh for HUKD
Edited by: "DLM" 18th Dec 2012
BUT. Acrylic can be scratched easier than glass and acrylic is flammable and shouldn't be used if the staircase is the only means of escape in a fire.
DLM

Too posh for HUKD

I have 3 sets of glass stair cases in my house A glass balcony and glass panels around my basement. This can mean one of two things. I am either extremely wealthy, or extremely in debt and ready to burst

top glass in Northern Ireland done ours, you could have a a look on their website. I am sure glass etc, in fact anything in the building trade can be done cheap today. I have no experience of acrylic but if it looked good and was for example much cheaper, then it wouldn't put me off. Best having a good look at both
Banned
sparkyIreland

I have 3 sets of glass stair cases in my house A glass balcony and … I have 3 sets of glass stair cases in my house A glass balcony and glass panels around my basement. This can mean one of two things. I am either extremely wealthy, or extremely in debt and ready to burst :(top glass in Northern Ireland done ours, you could have a a look on their website. I am sure glass etc, in fact anything in the building trade can be done cheap today. I have no experience of acrylic but if it looked good and was for example much cheaper, then it wouldn't put me off. Best having a good look at both

I hate you
DLM

I hate you

For being in extreme debt and ready to burst, that's a bit harsh
Banned
sparkyIreland

For being in extreme debt and ready to burst, that's a bit harsh

For owning a glass staircase lol.

Merry Christmas
This is a great company for acrylic, Sheet Plastics
"I have 3 sets of glass stair cases in my house " - sparkyireland

Shouldn't that be sparklyireland? Lol
Banned
aircanman

This is a great company for acrylic, Sheet Plastics

thanks , looks like a good place for plastics
Original Poster
Thanks very much all gives me good reading tonight...merry xmas
Banned
eugh glass looks horrible covered in dust lol

show us some picks sparky, not seen one in a house before
Here ya go, metal with oak steps and glass panels (Done by Top glass in NI) :

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/sparkyireland/Davy5_zps71f98882.jpg

Stair gates not included
Original Poster
very nice sparkllyireland LOL i am also liking the lights
Original Poster
That is lot more glass than I am after.

I have just had a spanner in the works now as got to choose between, glass, acrylic and poly carbonate!
You should go and check them all out, compare price, finish, then pick what you think is best, most companies should be able to show you examples. Easier said than done of course (Picking the right thing)
Hi,
Your staircase is absolutely beautiful. We are in the process of getting a new staircase. Can I please ask how much was the staircase and which company did you use?
Kind Regards
Sam
Saime

Hi, Your staircase is absolutely beautiful. We are in the process of … Hi, Your staircase is absolutely beautiful. We are in the process of getting a new staircase. Can I please ask how much was the staircase and which company did you use?Kind RegardsSam

1. this thread is 3 years old
2. there is one pic shown and if you read the thread you will find out which company
brilly

1. this thread is 3 years old2. there is one pic shown and if you read … 1. this thread is 3 years old2. there is one pic shown and if you read the thread you will find out which company

So on the ball Brilly and straight to the point X)
brilly

1. this thread is 3 years old2. there is one pic shown and if you read … 1. this thread is 3 years old2. there is one pic shown and if you read the thread you will find out which company

You missed number 3 and 4 where has Sam been since signing up in 2007 and what made them post this first post after 9 years.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions