Groups
    EXPIRED

Help please - How easy is it to install a Satellite dish?

Hello folks - brain picking time please?! We have just bought a new TV and it comes with both Freeview and Freesat. We don't have a satellite dish and wonder how easy it will be to put one up ourselves, rather than paying someone to do it for us? My hubby is very handy DIY-wise, but we're not sure how easy it is to tune it in etc. Any hints and tips, including which is the best dish to get would be very much appreciated! Thank you for reading this.

33 Comments

Wjere in world you located

Original Poster

fisco2001

Wjere in world you located

Oh sorry, I'm in SW Scotland

Amy 40-44cm fish will do ie sky dish if you got old one on your property

Bit far was going say can borrow my satellite meter

Look at neighbours satellite dishes and point in same direction watch out for line of sight so no big trees just move slightly wjile tuning on tv of use a compass

Depending which satellite you want to pick up it's a case of searching online for the direction you need to point it. I assisted my father to install their disk, we did it without a meter, some very basic maths and a compass, took about 20minutes. Obviously if you can borrow a meter then it's even easier but it's very simple to do without.

dishpointer.com/

Original Poster

thank you fisco, that's really kind of you. Sadly we don't have anyone nearby who has a satellite dish - we used to have one years ago and can just about remember the direction it was pointing in. There are no trees in front so hopefully it'll be plain sailing. My Dad suggested getting one with 2 cables (does this makes sense?!) Does the Amy dish you suggested have 2?

Original Poster

thank you Astec, I'll have a look on Google for some info

Original Poster

lol just realised that Amy probably is 'any'.....blonde moment!

sb123

thank you fisco, that's really kind of you. Sadly we don't have anyone … thank you fisco, that's really kind of you. Sadly we don't have anyone nearby who has a satellite dish - we used to have one years ago and can just about remember the direction it was pointing in. There are no trees in front so hopefully it'll be plain sailing. My Dad suggested getting one with 2 cables (does this makes sense?!) Does the Amy dish you suggested have 2?

Two cables with the correct 2 pole tv sensor will allow(with a recorder function) you to record one program and watch another at the same time. The cost is low you may as well run the twin walled cable while doing the job even if not using it now.
    If you look on the back of your set you will be able to see if you have one satellite connection or two. If you only have one you obviously can only make one connection

(_;)

Just buy a Zone 2 Sky dish /LNB with fixing kit from eBay or Amazon, many include instructions.

If you've got freeview I wouldn't bother with the expense of setting up freesat as freeview is the best of the 2.

Original Poster

Teezgaff

If you've got freeview I wouldn't bother with the expense of setting up … If you've got freeview I wouldn't bother with the expense of setting up freesat as freeview is the best of the 2.

Thanks for the reply Teezgaff, but the tele we've ordered has both Freeview HD and FreesatHD built in. I have googled the differences between the 2 (just have Freeview on current TV) and do think that the extra channels will be good for us. We have 3 little ones in the house and there are a number of cartoon channels that we can't access at the moment that they'd really enjoy

Original Poster

DEALWARRIOR

Two cables with the correct 2 pole tv sensor will allow(with a recorder … Two cables with the correct 2 pole tv sensor will allow(with a recorder function) you to record one program and watch another at the same time. The cost is low you may as well run the twin walled cable while doing the job even if not using it now.If you look on the back of your set you will be able to see if you have one satellite connection or two. If you only have one you obviously can only make one connection(_;)

Thank you DealWarrior - I've checked and the TV does have 2 satellite connections. Is there a particular dish you'd recommend that'll include everything I need to set up the sat connection?

sb123

Thank you DealWarrior - I've checked and the TV does have 2 satellite … Thank you DealWarrior - I've checked and the TV does have 2 satellite connections. Is there a particular dish you'd recommend that'll include everything I need to set up the sat connection?

any mk4 dish will do you fine with a quad lnb and shotgun or twin coax cabke (sane cable 2 diffrent names)

this will do job just varies if 10m cable be enough for you
    m.ebay.co.uk/itm…RCH
    Edited by: "fisco2001" 4th Dec 2014

m.ebay.co.uk/itm…RCH
    also use this if struggle
    by sounds of it sure hubby be ok use a compass if needed and cheaoer

Lots of dishes on ebay & amazon . I bought many from both sites . You need a Zone 2 dish [63cm] .
    You will need a meter to tweak [fine tune ] to get the best possible signal . If you haven't got a compass go here:

dishpointer.com/

it's like a google map but will point you in the right direction depending on your location and satellite . The sky satellite is at
    28.2* East .
    I've fitted loads of dishes both fixed and motorised ,so if you get stuck ,'giz a shout '

Oh yeah your in Scotland so need zone 2
    m.ebay.co.uk/itm…RCH
    Edited by: "fisco2001" 4th Dec 2014

For set up just download an app from the app store. Just let the gps work out your location and select thge satellite you want then just adjust the dish and LNB to what it says.

Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone - you've all been amazingly helpful!! Granted, a lot of what you've said has been way ove rmy head, but reading it two and three times will hopefully help me to make sense of it! I so appreciate your kindness in replying

Original Poster

I'm hoping someone will still be able to give me some advice on this please. I've checked out the links given, i.e. ebay.co.uk/itm…535 and there seems to be a number of upgrades that can be included. Also, I'm not sure from the description whether this one allows for 2 satellite cables to be plugged in to it?!

I've now established what I need - 2 satellite cables (thus allowing me to record). Also, eventually, I'd like to be able to view FreeSat from another room (i.e. livingroom and kids room and/or our room). Does this mean that I should upgrade to Multisat option? I've also seen this one ebay.co.uk/itm…2ce

Obviously I'd like a good deal, but it doesn't have to be the cheapest one out there. Any help you really be appreciated as I'm getting bogged down with the detail!!

http://fatkidatcamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/one-way-to-carry-a-satellite-dish.jpg

sb123

I'm hoping someone will still be able to give me some advice on this … I'm hoping someone will still be able to give me some advice on this please. I've checked out the links given, i.e. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350139281535 and there seems to be a number of upgrades that can be included. Also, I'm not sure from the description whether this one allows for 2 satellite cables to be plugged in to it?!I've now established what I need - 2 satellite cables (thus allowing me to record). Also, eventually, I'd like to be able to view FreeSat from another room (i.e. livingroom and kids room and/or our room). Does this mean that I should upgrade to Multisat option? I've also seen this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUYME-Zone-2-Dish-Kit-with-Quad-LNB-for-Sky-Freesat-Astra-Hotbird-Polesat-/160946926286?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item25792f32ceObviously I'd like a good deal, but it doesn't have to be the cheapest one out there. Any help you really be appreciated as I'm getting bogged down with the detail!!

Go for the last link you gave as that is one with lnb you need will allow 2 sets of twin cable ie one set for living room one set to be used at later date

Original Poster

Thank you Fisco2001 - almost ready to hit the buy button!! Just one question if you don't mind - cabling, is it just ordinary Coax cable that's needed or do I need to buy different stuff? I see there is single and double cable, I'm assuming it will be double I'll need?

Thank you!!

yes, one double coax for viewing recording box, Then if you want the same for the other room then you need a double for that. if not a single will be ok for that other room

sb123

Thank you Fisco2001 - almost ready to hit the buy button!! Just one … Thank you Fisco2001 - almost ready to hit the buy button!! Just one question if you don't mind - cabling, is it just ordinary Coax cable that's needed or do I need to buy different stuff? I see there is single and double cable, I'm assuming it will be double I'll need? Thank you!!

Go for twin coax cable or shoutgun cable same thing people call if by different terms

Original Poster

webtrawler

Dont forget these … Dont forget these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-X-TWIN-F-PLUG-CONNECTOR-4-SATELLITE-TV-AERIAL-COAX-CABLE-SKY-HD-FREESAT-VIRGIN/390817300204?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Df2a915b74a9d4a96b47f257ce129a9f7%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D280426359058

Webtrawler, the link is no longer working that you sent. Could you please tell me or send me another link - here's what I'm going to order ebay.co.uk/itm…173 and at the bottom of the page, it shows what the order includes. Not sure if there's something else you're referring to though. Thanks a million xx

sb, You will need some Amalgamating tape and 6 or more F connectors. The tape is used to wrap around the connections on the LNB to stop water getting into the cable

Original Poster

webtrawler

Watch this sb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v7fLHZzzM

You are a star, webtrawler! Thank you so much. Dish about to be ordered and I'm looking forward to showing off my new-found DIY expertise to the hubby!!

To all those who have replied, thank you so very much. Your help has been invaluable!! x

EDIT - When I say "looking forward to showing off my new-found DIY expertise", I don't not mean shimmying up a ladder to fit the dish! I'll be leaving that to my hubby I will however, be attaching the F-connector to the wire!!
    Edited by: "sb123" 11th Dec 2014

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How easy is it to get a refund from Halfords?816
      2. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz923
      3. How much would you pay for this chair?2228
      4. Washer Dryer11

See more discussions