Groups

help please I accidentally formatted my external hard drive

I accidentally formatted my external hard drive and there is about 750 GB of data like 4K videos photos and other documents please have it any way that I can get them back?

26 Comments

I used this for a sd card - http://www.easeus.com/resource/recover-data-after-format.htm

Didnt pay for it though, cant remember where i downloaded it from
    Edited by: "ame2607" 4th Jun

Yes as long as you don't write any info onto it then you can use drive recovery software.

If it's just quick formatted and no data has been written to then your files should still be on there you just need software to recover them. Not sure what the best is at the moment, just don't do anything to the drive.

There are a few free software you can download. GetDataBackNTFS

FIRST THINGS FIRST DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING NEW TO THE HARD DRIVE UNTIL YOU'VE RECOVERED YOUR STUFF.!!!!.... Try this its pretty good

Original Poster

ame2607

I used this for a sd card - … I used this for a sd card - http://www.easeus.com/resource/recover-data-after-format.htm

mine is 1TB hard drive and the data was 750GB which i lost do you think it work for large date like mine?

Also do you have to purchase this please?

bern67

FIRST THINGS FIRST DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING NEW TO THE HARD DRIVE UNTIL … FIRST THINGS FIRST DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING NEW TO THE HARD DRIVE UNTIL YOU'VE RECOVERED YOUR STUFF.!!!!.... Try this its pretty good

piriform.com/recuva

Original Poster

just to make it clear it was quick format

Repeat previous advice: do not write / save any more info to the formatted drive. Use Piniform Recuva to restore your files to another drive / location.

Hardawan

mine is 1TB hard drive and the data was 750GB which i lost do you think … mine is 1TB hard drive and the data was 750GB which i lost do you think it work for large date like mine?Also do you have to purchase this please?

It says you can trial it, which im sure is what i did. If unsure dont use this, more experienced people on hduk will advice

You should be able to get it back ok, as others have said don't attempt to write any data to the disk until you have recovered the files. Techradar did a test of free software and recommended Recuva which should be able to cope with you disk - techradar.com/rev…iew

Original Poster

RxTx

You should be able to get it back ok, as others have said don't attempt … You should be able to get it back ok, as others have said don't attempt to write any data to the disk until you have recovered the files. Techradar did a test of free software and recommended Recuva which should be able to cope with you disk - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/piriform-recuva-review-1323657/review

Is this the free version can do as well as the paid version please that would be able to recover

Hardawan

Is this the free version can do as well as the paid version please that … Is this the free version can do as well as the paid version please that would be able to recover

I've not used it myself but the last bit of the review probably answers that - "Fast, effective and free, this is the data recovery tool you probably thought didn't exist. Recuva is a hidden gem in the software world."

Good luck, hope you manage to get your files back ok. Remember not to install the software on the formatted disk.
    Edited by: "RxTx" 4th Jun

In "educational use" on used hard disks, I didn't find Recuva to be very effective - over several rounds of giveaways (maybe one likely for 4th of July), I'd acquired:
    Do Your Data Recovery 5.0 (quite effective)
    iCare Data Recovery Pro (forgot I had this one)
    Minitool Power Data Recovery 7.0 Comprehensive, though tends to present several alternatives, good on judging potential recovery.

minitool worked well for me when it was a free version. Think you have to pay now, although I saved the install program years ago thankfully and it still works well.

Getdatabackntfs worked for me, but didn't recover everything.

Original Poster

my biggest worry is my 4k videos:( any chance?:(

As has been stated: Do NOT try to do anything with the drive until you are ready to. Best thing is to unplug it so AV etc also won't be trying to do anything. I had a motherboard go kaput a few years ago which took out a bunch of my hard drives.

First thing - you will need another drive that is at least as big as the drive you want to restore.
    I used Testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk). Its not pretty, but it worked a treat and its free.

Original Poster

Do you think it works for 4k videos?
    Also as mine is external drive do i still have to have another hard drive?

Original Poster

gerardgimbert

As has been stated: Do NOT try to do anything with the drive until you … As has been stated: Do NOT try to do anything with the drive until you are ready to. Best thing is to unplug it so AV etc also won't be trying to do anything. I had a motherboard go kaput a few years ago which took out a bunch of my hard drives. First thing - you will need another drive that is at least as big as the drive you want to restore.I used Testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk). Its not pretty, but it worked a treat and its free.

Original Poster

gerardgimbert

As has been stated: Do NOT try to do anything with the drive until you … As has been stated: Do NOT try to do anything with the drive until you are ready to. Best thing is to unplug it so AV etc also won't be trying to do anything. I had a motherboard go kaput a few years ago which took out a bunch of my hard drives. First thing - you will need another drive that is at least as big as the drive you want to restore.I used Testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk). Its not pretty, but it worked a treat and its free.

Hardawan

Do you think it works for 4k videos?Also as mine is external drive do i … Do you think it works for 4k videos?Also as mine is external drive do i still have to have another hard drive?

​Just try it. 4k videos are just files nothing special

Original Poster

Chidmas

​Just try it. 4k videos are just files nothing special

If it find my files can I recover to to the same formatted external drive?

Hardawan

No because you will be overwriting the data you are trying to recover.Recover the data fully to a separate drive first and then once you have all the data back then you can put back to the original harddrive.

Hardawan

no GET ANOTHER DRIVE to save the recocered files too - this is always stated by the software being used to recover any formated or deleted files
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?1415
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927365
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767287
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7141346

See more discussions