Help please! I need a small fridge that will work in cold temperatures to put in my garage!

Found 5th Feb 2012
With the stupidly cold temperatures the last few days, my little garage fridge has given up and is on strike! Reading up on Google it says some fridges just are not made to work in cold temperatures. So does anyone have a fridge that doesn't suffer from this problem that they can recommend?!?! Thanks!
Community Updates
24 Comments
I don't think you need a fridge in winter in your garage, the temp in your garage is probably colder than any fridge.
lol

im not trying to make fun of your situ just your wording
LoveHearts

I don't think you need a fridge in winter in your garage, the temp in … I don't think you need a fridge in winter in your garage, the temp in your garage is probably colder than any fridge.

True but I can't just leave the door open and 'hope' it stays cold all week!!
Dont all small fridges work well in the cold anyways, the colder the better.

If it is warm the fridge will be using its motor all the time, people leave deep freezes in their garages and they are basically the same.
Edited by: "aircanman" 5th Feb 2012
ei8hty5ive

True but I can't just leave the door open and 'hope' it stays cold all … True but I can't just leave the door open and 'hope' it stays cold all week!!

I've just checked the forecast, you'll be okay for this week
LoveHearts

I don't think you need a fridge in winter in your garage, the temp in … I don't think you need a fridge in winter in your garage, the temp in your garage is probably colder than any fridge.

Stuff in our garage is frozen, tis soooooo cold.
aircanman

Dont all small fridges work well in the cold anyways, the colder the … Dont all small fridges work well in the cold anyways, the colder the better.

Apparently not.
whatsThePoint

all fridges/freezers have a minimum outside working tempask an eskimo … all fridges/freezers have a minimum outside working tempask an eskimo which brand they use?

Any Inuit on HUKD misc??
buy a really big oven to put the fridge in to keep it warm....sorted
skankingpigeons

buy a really big oven to put the fridge in to keep it warm....sorted

The logic is sound...Ummm
aircanman

Dont all small fridges work well in the cold anyways, the colder the … Dont all small fridges work well in the cold anyways, the colder the better. If it is warm the fridge will be using its motor all the time, people leave deep freezes in their garages and they are basically the same.

Fridges work by evaporating warm air which causes some kind of reaction which = cold.

With cold air their is nothing to evaporate to cause the reaction.
Shengis

Put this in your garage. … Put this in your garage. HTH.http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/sealey/product.php?product=108815&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ncpc&utm_campaign=comparison

The words Sledgehammer and Nut come to mind,,,
Maybe a small paraffin heater like they use in greenhouses? Useful if you ever want to do something in the garage during the winter as well.
Beko build their fridges and freezers to work up to -15 degrees, it's called freeze-guard technology
We stand our freezer on several layers of cardboard & never had a problem since we did this.
It is quite weird but I was reading similar just the other week when my freezer was playing up. Seems some freezers should only be put to it's coldest setting in freezing cold temperatures and a medium settimg when it's warm. I don't get it either
just shovel the snow into the garage problem sorted
samuelfilce

Beko build their fridges and freezers to work up to -15 degrees, it's … Beko build their fridges and freezers to work up to -15 degrees, it's called freeze-guard technology

I got told this by one of my customers but I thought he was pulling my leg about the Beko recall situation?!!
tinkerbell28

I used to have my American style fridge freezer in the garage for a few … I used to have my American style fridge freezer in the garage for a few years. It never broke.

Do you happen to remember the brand?
I was going to mention , but someone already has ...........the BEKO make are designed to work in low temperatures , that's one of reasons I bought mine. Working well too ,had no problems with it . It wasn't one of the models on the recall list though.So ,check before you buy .But there very good...........mines a fridge-freezer.I got mine from electrical123 dotcom
ricko

I was going to mention , but someone already has ...........the BEKO make … I was going to mention , but someone already has ...........the BEKO make are designed to work in low temperatures , that's one of reasons I bought mine. Working well too ,had no problems with it . It wasn't one of the models on the recall list though.So ,check before you buy .But there very good...........mines a fridge-freezer.I got mine from electrical123 dotcom

Thanks! I've had a few tell me to buy Beko, and I'm not a brand snob or anything, but with the recent recalls and troubles in the past with cheaper brands, im a bit reluctant...

Oh and thanks Tinks, i'll look into if LG do small fridges cause I don't really need a huge American one tbh!
Did you find anything suitable? I've got the same problem
aircanman

Dont all small fridges work well in the cold anyways, the colder the … Dont all small fridges work well in the cold anyways, the colder the better. If it is warm the fridge will be using its motor all the time, people leave deep freezes in their garages and they are basically the same.

No. Nearly all are designed for operating temps above 5C. They cost more to run in a garage as they have to generate heat to make the fridge cold. They should never be put in a shed either.

Same for freezers as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants