Groups

Help please. looking for cheap line rental for my 96 year old Grandad. I got him on to fuel broadband line rental (has had various names) some years ago. He is paying about £9 line rental per month. Cheapest I can find now is almost double that! Any

Please help

18 Comments

Package on Bt.

How much does your grandad use the Internet? I know bt do something called bt basic plus broadband which has 12gb for about £10. He has to be on low income though.

btplc.com/inc…htm
    Edited by: "stoneblade" 15th Jun

any what ?

Original Poster

stoneblade

How much does your grandad use the Internet? I know bt do something … How much does your grandad use the Internet? I know bt do something called bt basic plus broadband which has 12gb for about £10. He has to be on low income though. http://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/BTBasicBroadband/index.htm

Thank you. He just has a landline with caller display. None of that tinternet magic stuff.

Original Poster

mattmerch

any what ?

any ideas, please. must of cut the last bit off.

get him a mobile with lowest amount of data should be roughly around this price

Tesco do cheap mobile phones for around £10

If he has low income BT Basic is £5.99 per month (or £9.99 pm with Internet), but you have to prove to BT that you have low income and claim guaranteed pension credits etc...

If he makes B-all calls, how about a 3 SIM in a cheap mobile? 3 Credit doesn't expire, calls are 3p/min, text 2P and data 1p/MB. If you get a bundle the cost goes down but the credit expires after 30 days.

Alternatively, is there any close neighbour with WiFi your Granddad could piggyback on and use SkypeOut, or similar?

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. He worked from the age of 15 right up till retirement at 65. Although he gets a works pension it is pitiful. He doesn't get any benefits. He has a mobile, but needs a landline for his carers and for the lifeline emergency buttons he has. I think the best I can get him is Post Office £14.99.

SSE (Scottish & Southern Electricity) have an offer on at the moment £13.50 a month evening and weekend calls included on an 18 month contract. Mother in law has used them for broadband and phone in the past and found them ok. Better check small print first though, in case I'm missing something.

Original Poster

liamf12

SSE (Scottish & Southern Electricity) have an offer on at the moment … SSE (Scottish & Southern Electricity) have an offer on at the moment £13.50 a month evening and weekend calls included on an 18 month contract. Mother in law has used them for broadband and phone in the past and found them ok. Better check small print first though, in case I'm missing something.

oooo, will have a look. thanks

The current trend is to shuffle the costs onto line rental and calls to make the broadband look cheaper. If you only want the phone line I'd be looking at the small business/home office and enthusiast ISPs and they will generally do this to a far lesser extent.

For example Uno are well regarded and they do Line Rental for £10 a month if you pay in advance (prices on their site are excluding VAT):
    uno.net.uk/pac…al/

Call costs are also far lower than the absurd 10p+ a minute to landlines that most consumer-focused ISPs charge.

Original Poster

shalton

oooo, will have a look. thanks

Thanks. I have signed him up to the SSE one for £13.50 which includes evening and weekend calls.

Original Poster

Thanks every one. I have signed him up to the SSE one for £13.50 which includes evening and weekend calls.
    I put myself under pressure, he was paying around £9 for line rental with fuel broadband. I sort his Gas and Electric too. Everytime I swap him over the prices go up, I always feel bad (it seems as though I am not saving him any money).

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The current trend is to shuffle the costs onto line rental and calls to … The current trend is to shuffle the costs onto line rental and calls to make the broadband look cheaper. If you only want the phone line I'd be looking at the small business/home office and enthusiast ISPs and they will generally do this to a far lesser extent.For example Uno are well regarded and they do Line Rental for £10 a month if you pay in advance (prices on their site are excluding VAT):https://www.uno.net.uk/packages/phone-line-rental/Call costs are also far lower than the absurd 10p+ a minute to landlines that most consumer-focused ISPs charge.

Just had a look at this one. Will they supply domestic? The line rental is £11.59, but the per min charges are tiny.

Look at plusnet
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?817
      2. love affairs810
      3. word association Game73844475
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767217

See more discussions