Help please! Need mobile tablet/phablet for my elderly aunt.

Posted 23rd MarEdited by:"gemniz"
UPDATE: We have found a tablet which works with sim cards from a family friend. We just need a cheap data sim now, ideally with short or no contract!

Hi everyone. I'd really appreciate some help/advice.

My elderly aunt is ill and completely isolated. She has no technology beyond a TV and ancient phone which can only do texts/calls. No internet/wifi.

Because we don't want to risk giving her coronavirus, the whole family have said we won't visit until this is over. I thought it would be a good idea to get her a simple tablet which can be used to do video calling, and maybe she can watch netflix etc on it. We'd set it up for her beforehand.

She's also hard of sight, so it would be better to have a larger screen and do the enlarge feature so that she won't struggle to read text.

Can anyone please help me find a tablet/phablet which is large, runs off a sim card for internet (also need one of these) and is cheap? Doesn't need to be very fancy, just netflix/amazon prime and whatsapp or similar.

Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Might struggle now, following latest Covid edict. Maybe try a fire tablet and an amplifier screen to help her see. Not sure if Amazon are still delivering.
If they are nor delivering... Only other thing to do is to set up a tablet or laptop of your own, and donate a phone of your own that can tether. Then upgrade a sim over the phone to unlimited or 100gb. Pretether it, and remove all shortcuts from home screen except WhatsApp.
Unfortunately you've left it a bit late to get set up, but I think you will be able to do it even if you can't buy a tablet.
I wish your aunt(and you and yours) well.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 23rd Mar
You might struggle to get a decent tablet that supports a SIM card as most retailers don't stock them apart from the networks directly. You have the option of buying a tablet outright and purchasing a SIM only contract separately or buying it on a contract which would include a sim card. O2 may be the best choice as if you purchase a tablet from them, you aren't tied in for a certain amount of time and can cancel the contract at any time, all you would pay is for the cost of the tablet. Again, as @Ringfinger has said, after the latest announcement it may be a bit late to get one.
Best of luck.
Rune_2H23/03/2020 21:50

Comment deleted

I believe all deliveries are delayed apart from essential items. If I look now it says the next delivery date available on prime orders is on Saturday.
Voxi do sim cards for fairly cheap. Currently the sims are unlimited which is not mentioned on their website while they carry out updates to their service
Do you need a tablet or a sim?
adamderak23/03/2020 22:40

Do you need a tablet or a sim?

A sim please. I'm thinking lots of netflix/prime video streaming and some video calls, a bit of browsing news apps etc.
If there is a nice neighbour, could they lend to Thier WiFi
Three do an unlimited data plan for £24 a month. It's not a contract so you pay upfront for every month.
adamderak23/03/2020 22:48

Three do an unlimited data plan for £24 a month. It's not a contract so …Three do an unlimited data plan for £24 a month. It's not a contract so you pay upfront for every month.

That's not too bad, and good flexibility! What do you think of this plan, £10/month for 12GB but with unlimited netflix &TV player with 3, go binge.

three.co.uk/sta…165
Do you not have a spare sim you can upgrade? Not to sure you will get a sim delivered now, and as a sim is not classed as essential I doubt the phone shops are open, though you can probably pick up a sim in the supermarket. I know every time I upgrade a phone I get a free sim from 3.
adamderak23/03/2020 22:43

If there is a nice neighbour, could they lend to Thier WiFi

Only if she can pick up the signal though the walls.
Haircut_10023/03/2020 22:58

Only if she can pick up the signal though the walls.

Mostly you can these days
gemniz23/03/2020 22:50

That's not too bad, and good flexibility! What do you think of this plan, …That's not too bad, and good flexibility! What do you think of this plan, £10/month for 12GB but with unlimited netflix &TV player with 3, go binge.http://www.three.co.uk/standalone/priceplan-details?planid=1400608011165

Remember to set spending limit & order through cashback website.

If you don't want contract, get smarty instead.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants