Groups
    EXPIRED

HELP PLEASE (pretty please!) - Can my old Desk Top PC take extra RAM and a quality Graphics Card?

Hi all.

Mrs Technophobe 2009 here.

I'm seriously bone when it comes to things like PCs and graphics cards I'm afraid so I could really do with the guidance of those who are more IT literate than me as I (well my daughter!) would really like to update our current desktop with more RAM and a decent graphics card to play Sims 2 and eventually Sims 3.

I do not know even where to begin to do this so I hope one of you kind souls can spare 10 minutes to explain to me what is involved/cost etc.

We have a 3-year-old Dell Dimension 3100 DV051 desktop with Pentium 4 2.99GHz processor and 504MB of RAM. Is this 'old' desk top PC 'young' enough to take extra RAM and a decent graphics card to improve its performance?

If I haven't given you enough information can one of you please explain how I go about getting what extra you need via the control panel or elsewhere.

Thank you ever so much to anyone who is kind enough to reply.

Yours in desperation.

Lucy x

5 Comments

In a word, YES!

Dell dimension 3100:
    # Maximum Memory: 2048MB
    # Slots: 2 (1 bank of 2)
    # Standard Memory: 256 or 512MB removable
    # USB Support: 2.x Compliant

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

You can ored this RAM from Crucial (crucial.com/uk/…100) but you'll probably find it cheaper at somewhere like play.com.

As for your graphics card you'll have to check if your motherboard has a pci/pci-e(x1)/x(16)/agp slot, you should be able to find out on Dells website.

Just found some more info on ur PC:

Power Supply - Wattage 230 W

Motherboard slots:
    two PCI
    one PCI Express x1
    no AGP or PCI Express x16

So you'll need a PCI or PCI-E x1 graphics card but bear in mind that you PSU (Power Supply Unit) isn't very powerful so may be insufficient for some graphics cards!

Banned

Just make shure you don't get a pci-express card if your pc only takes pci...........Like i did :-\

See this link for answer to memory question crucial.com/sto…100

I think your model can only take a PCI graphics cards (not AGP or PCI-E) which really limits the options. But there are a few out there that will improve performance for not a lot of money.

DVS_Dee;4319692

In a word, YES!Dell dimension 3100:# Maximum Memory: 2048MB# Slots: 2 … In a word, YES!Dell dimension 3100:# Maximum Memory: 2048MB# Slots: 2 (1 bank of 2)# Standard Memory: 256 or 512MB removable# USB Support: 2.x CompliantEach memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.* You can ored this RAM from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%203100#) but you'll probably find it cheaper at somewhere like play.com.As for your graphics card you'll have to check if your motherboard has a pci/pci-e(x1)/x(16)/agp slot, you should be able to find out on Dells website.Just found some more info on ur PC:Power Supply - Wattage 230 WMotherboard slots:two PCIone PCI Express x1no AGP or PCI Express x16So you'll need a PCI or PCI-E x1 graphics card but bear in mind that you PSU (Power Supply Unit) isn't very powerful so may be insufficient for some graphics cards!

+1 on upgrading the power supply, think maplin are doing a not bad 580watt one on special the now for 30 odd quid.

hotukdeals.com/ite…el/

Original Poster

Thanks everyone thus far. Still doesn't make too much sense but it's more than I knew before I asked :-)

Repped accordingly.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does the app aznog still work?22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
      3. Virgin Media TV67
      4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023

See more discussions