Groups
    EXPIRED

Help please!! Sky TV/Cable ARGHHHHH!!

I have recently moved into a new build flat (four years old). There are no ariel cables coming from the wall in any of the bedrooms or main room Only one NTL cable coming internally from the wall in the living room.

Sky have told me that there was a sky account at the address years ago and when I moved in there was a sky and ntl box left.

I called sky and they sent a man out at the weekend, he tested the box and said it was a problem with the internal ariel and I should phone my factors, i have just done this and been told by the factors that there is no communal dish for the building just the cableing is connected to something in the basement!

It is possible that the person in the flat had a sky dish intalled and was asked to take this down.

I really don't want NTL...any ideas what I can do?

7 Comments

it's not NTL any more, it's Virgin Media now and if you can you should definately get that instead of Sky. Check out the recent reviews from Gadget show etc. saying how much better Virgin is now than sky. The on-demand stuff is awesome and the V+ box much better than sky+

For what it's worth - I agree with the post above.....
    Having had both Virgin / NTl && now Sky - I would happily swap back to Virgin if I could - but I understand this isn't about me - it's about you.

The thing is, a lot of flats and so on have restrictive covenents on them to stop people doing exactly this - gettig sky mini-dishes and connecting them to their outside wall, and thus aking the apperance somewhat .... Well - dis-tasteful? Or not particulary asthetically pleasing.....

So, to get around this - they install fibre optic / Cable to the whole building - thus ensuring that everybody can obtain a decent internet service, and Cable TV and satellite and so on.....
    As you have this connected in the basement of your building - it would make perfect sence to go ahead on get it installed......

I see that you said you don't want NTL anymore - but, in all honesty, what is the lesser of two evils?
    Sky + is not really any better in your individual circumstances either....
    Who has the best service and what not is down to so many individual preferences and choices that it isn't worth getting into that debate, but by the sounds of it - as it is already in the lower part of the building - and I am assuming that others haven't put a dish on the side of their flat - that this may be your best way forward.......

Cloud the cat - still puurrring away watchin Cat-Deeley

xxxx

Original Poster

SunTzu;5122826

it's not NTL any more, it's Virgin Media now and if you can you should … it's not NTL any more, it's Virgin Media now and if you can you should definately get that instead of Sky. Check out the recent reviews from Gadget show etc. saying how much better Virgin is now than sky. The on-demand stuff is awesome and the V+ box much better than sky+

Really? That is helpful. Rep added. There is ZERO reception from any of the rooms, so the inbuilt freeview is useless. I think I'm just so used to sky as I've had it for 10ish years. The only problem is I am signed into a sky account for about another 8 months (I had my sky upgraded to sky plus a while back).
    Does anyone know if I can get out of my contact since I'm not allowed putting a dish up and there isn't (I think) a shared dish on the roof!

Original Poster

cloudthecat;5123100

For what it's worth - I agree with the post above.....Having had both … For what it's worth - I agree with the post above.....Having had both Virgin / NTl && now Sky - I would happily swap back to Virgin if I could - but I understand this isn't about me - it's about you.The thing is, a lot of flats and so on have restrictive covenents on them to stop people doing exactly this - gettig sky mini-dishes and connecting them to their outside wall, and thus aking the apperance somewhat .... Well - dis-tasteful? Or not particulary asthetically pleasing..........So, to get around this - they install fibre optic / Cable to the whole building - thus ensuring that everybody can obtain a decent internet service, and Cable TV and satellite and so on.....As you have this connected in the basement of your building - it would make perfect sence to go ahead on get it installed......I see that you said you don't want NTL anymore - but, in all honesty, what is the lesser of two evils?Sky + is not really any better in your individual circumstances either....Who has the best service and what not is down to so many individual preferences and choices that it isn't worth getting into that debate, but by the sounds of it - as it is already in the lower part of the building - and I am assuming that others haven't put a dish on the side of their flat - that this may be your best way forward.......Cloud the cat - still puurrring away watchin Cat-Deeleyxxxx

Great, thanks so much for you help. I've just had a quick look on the virgin website and tbh I didn't think they had so many of the channels I watch and it seems cheaper for the phone, tv and broadbank packages!!:thumbsup:
    As I can't put a sky dish on the side of the building (the factor did say that a few flats had done this before and they were ordered to take them down, which I now think maybe this is the reason there was a sky account with the previous owner).
    Anyhoo all I need to do now is find out if i can get out of this contract!!

Rep added thanks

Original Poster

ooh I've gone for virgin...it all gets installed on Sat. (how quick is that!)..thanks for all you help

I also used to have sky & BT landline, switched to virgin, so much better and works out alot cheaper, glad your sorted

chunky;5133377

ooh I've gone for virgin...it all gets installed on Sat. (how quick is … ooh I've gone for virgin...it all gets installed on Sat. (how quick is that!)..thanks for all you help

That's excellent news!!

Well done you!

I don't think you will be disappointed with it one bit - and judging from what the others have said it is a better box than Sky+ anyway!

Hope it all goes well Saturday and that you get to watch all of the good tv programmes etc!

xxxx;-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2121025
      2. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1729
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767478
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047193

See more discussions