Help please smartphone photographers!

Found 15th Apr
I am looking to part with my DSLR and upgrade my smartphone(iPhone 6s plus) to something with a better camera.

Looking for a phone with a low f number(1.8 ish) and a strong battery.

I’m considering an iPhone 7 plus, 8 plus, iPhone X, Google Pixel XL or a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Can anyone suggest something I’ve missed or give any advice from personal experience?

Or if you see a good deal please let me know :-)Thank you!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
21 Comments
Pixel

Why get rid of DSLR ?

Have you considered mirror less camera if wanting more compact size ? Maybe able to use your existing lenses with it also
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 15th Apr
Original Poster
mrwhitelabel40 m ago

PixelWhy get rid of DSLR ?Have you considered mirror less camera if …PixelWhy get rid of DSLR ?Have you considered mirror less camera if wanting more compact size ? Maybe able to use your existing lenses with it also

Thank you. Its because of the weight with all extras I carry with it. I know it doesn't sound like that much but after having it for a day it becomes a struggle for me.
If you want the best camera out there, the S9 has F1.5 and F2.4 apertures (S9+ has dual camera too). P20 Pro looks good too but Huawei are even worse than Samsung for software updates.

From your list, the Pixel XL is the best.
Happysteveo22 m ago

Thank you. Its because of the weight with all extras I carry with it. I …Thank you. Its because of the weight with all extras I carry with it. I know it doesn't sound like that much but after having it for a day it becomes a struggle for me.

you shouldn't be comparing a dslr+lenses+extras etc with a phone
the phone will only 'replace' a camera+lens so thats the max you should compare it against

as above there is the mirrorless options but tbh they can be cumbersome as well with a 'full kit'
other option is something like rx100 range panasonic lx15 etc which is a bit more versatile yet still small... and you dont get tempted to add lenses
Just dont expect DSLR performance.

There is a reason for all that bulk. It does things a mobile camera never will.
Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies. Yeah I know a smart phone won't directly replace a big camera but the convenience will be a big help for me.
Edited by: "Happysteveo" 15th Apr
The Huawei P20 Pro has the best array of cameras and functionality on any smartphone out there, including the iPhone X.

If you can't quite afford the P20 Pro, the Mate 10 Pro is an excellent alternative which also has three fantastic cameras (two on the back, one at the front).
Original Poster
preecey5 m ago

The Huawei P20 Pro has the best array of cameras and functionality on any …The Huawei P20 Pro has the best array of cameras and functionality on any smartphone out there, including the iPhone X.If you can't quite afford the P20 Pro, the Mate 10 Pro is an excellent alternative which also has three fantastic cameras (two on the back, one at the front).

Thank you for your reply.
I watched this which said the P20 Pro is good for making nice looking pics for social media but they get distorted if you wanna do anything more complicated with them, which rules that phone out for me:

androidauthority.com/hua…289
Happysteveo3 h, 44 m ago

Thank you for your reply.I watched this which said the P20 Pro is good for …Thank you for your reply.I watched this which said the P20 Pro is good for making nice looking pics for social media but they get distorted if you wanna do anything more complicated with them, which rules that phone out for me:https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-p20-pro-review-853352/?utm_source=Android+Authority&utm_campaign=4e660fc448-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_611ff01bd4-4e660fc448-82478289

where does it say they get distorted? didn't look too closely tbh
Original Poster
brilly25 m ago

where does it say they get distorted? didn't look too closely tbh

Approximately 5 mins 50 in to the video.
Happysteveo5 m ago

Approximately 5 mins 50 in to the video.

so you want a phone to take photos AND to pixel peep them? bit ambitious!
Original Poster
brilly26 m ago

so you want a phone to take photos AND to pixel peep them? bit ambitious!

Thanks for your input :-)
iPhone 8 Plus takes great photos
Happysteveo23 h, 35 m ago

Thank you. Its because of the weight with all extras I carry with it. I …Thank you. Its because of the weight with all extras I carry with it. I know it doesn't sound like that much but after having it for a day it becomes a struggle for me.

Ditto for me - SLR with lenses is a pain to carry around, but get a point and shoot rather than a smartphone(good as a backup)

The Sony RX range are apparently very good, the latest version is £850! so better be good.
Original Poster
Bigfootpete7 h, 53 m ago

Ditto for me - SLR with lenses is a pain to carry around, but get a point …Ditto for me - SLR with lenses is a pain to carry around, but get a point and shoot rather than a smartphone(good as a backup)The Sony RX range are apparently very good, the latest version is £850! so better be good.

mikeyjoe120 h, 7 m ago

iPhone 8 Plus takes great photos

Thanks for the tips :-)
I'm going through exactly the same dilemma.. I have the iPhone 6S Plus and have decided to upgrade to the iPhone 8 Plus and ditch my DSLR.

Only thing I'm wondering is, if there will be a newer iPhone this September which would be worth waiting for.
Madferrit9 m ago

I'm going through exactly the same dilemma.. I have the iPhone 6S Plus and …I'm going through exactly the same dilemma.. I have the iPhone 6S Plus and have decided to upgrade to the iPhone 8 Plus and ditch my DSLR.Only thing I'm wondering is, if there will be a newer iPhone this September which would be worth waiting for.

If you don't need to urgently upgrade it's worth waiting - even if you don't like the latest model too much the iPhone 8 will drop down in price. Means you won't regret not waiting and you will get a cheaper price
Original Poster
Madferrit18 h, 48 m ago

I'm going through exactly the same dilemma.. I have the iPhone 6S Plus and …I'm going through exactly the same dilemma.. I have the iPhone 6S Plus and have decided to upgrade to the iPhone 8 Plus and ditch my DSLR.Only thing I'm wondering is, if there will be a newer iPhone this September which would be worth waiting for.

Have you got your 8 plus yet?
Wondering how beneficial it is with the depth effect and better aperture, vs a Google Pixel 2.
Original Poster
jamie01518 h, 41 m ago

If you don't need to urgently upgrade it's worth waiting - even if you …If you don't need to urgently upgrade it's worth waiting - even if you don't like the latest model too much the iPhone 8 will drop down in price. Means you won't regret not waiting and you will get a cheaper price

Good point, though you can say the 6s plus will depreciate as well. And iPhones in general aren't holding as much yearly value as they used to anyway, so I don't think waiting for the next iPhone release is as relevant anywmore.
Happysteveo30 m ago

Good point, though you can say the 6s plus will depreciate as well. And …Good point, though you can say the 6s plus will depreciate as well. And iPhones in general aren't holding as much yearly value as they used to anyway, so I don't think waiting for the next iPhone release is as relevant anywmore.

I get what you are saying, I just assumed that the OP wanted to keep the 6S+. If not, I think it's still worth waiting in case the OP decides that they prefer the next iPhone
Happysteveo57 m ago

Have you got your 8 plus yet?Wondering how beneficial it is with the depth …Have you got your 8 plus yet?Wondering how beneficial it is with the depth effect and better aperture, vs a Google Pixel 2.

I haven't got the iPhone yet and to be honest I've never liked the Android OS. For me the option was between the iPhone X or 8 Plus and i'm not overly impressed with the X. I think for now I'll hold out on getting the 8Plus as I don't need a new phone right away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions