HELP Please: Trying to fix curtain pole detached from wall

Posted 6th May
Hi all,

I’ve never put a curtain pole up and I don’t know how to go about fixing this, can anyone suggest what I need to do please?

Do I need to fill the hole in the wall again before doing anything else?

Thank you

3457918-BxpZk.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
You could try putting some match sticks in with glue if you have some.
Then re screw It in.
I used matches on my vertical blind rail when it fell down.
10 years later and still holding fast.
Not to many, enough to make the screw fix tightly.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 6th May
That looks like a plasterboard screw I hate those, as they seem really unsecure no matter what, me personally would see if anything is behind the plasterboard with a small peice of material and at how deep and try and wall plug into that. Hope this makes sense
Thanks both of you.

Do I need to fill the hole?
For me, I'd fill the hole with something like no more nails with some extra put on the wooden mount around the screw / raw plug and push it in and let it set. (take the weight off the rail while doing it).
Cheers Andy!
The traditional way is to rip all the loose stuff out, then get some sawdust from a pet shop & mix it up with PVA glue & fill the hole & leave it to dry out completely & then drill your hole for a rawplug & screw in.
The way is really meant for wood repairs but it will work in this case but I would be inclined to use a longer screw.
Fill the hole, re drill and insert new rawlplugs
Don't just fill it. Cut out all the loose stuff first, or drill it out using a wood auger drill bit. Then fill it and leave it to dry properly before fitting the curtain. Use quality fittings, something like these . But most important is preparation. If you fill loose stuff, it will in all probability still be loose when set.
that looks like the nightmare situation we had with one of our rails.. tried everything but kept getting pulled out for one reason or the other. went totally extreme and squirted expanding foam in it. big mess but did the trick. luckily hidden by curtain for now..until we sort it out 'properly'.
Edited by: "samwants2save" 7th May
Looks like plasterboard to me, I had the same situation when i moved into my house.
I took the curtain rail down and put a batten up, fixing it into the studs, then screwed the curtain rail to the batten.
Looks like there is no plugs. It would be more secure that way.
The best way is to use a wooden strip wood straight to the studs then attach the pole to that.
Pandamansays07/05/2020 00:28

Looks like plasterboard to me, I had the same situation when i moved into …Looks like plasterboard to me, I had the same situation when i moved into my house.I took the curtain rail down and put a batten up, fixing it into the studs, then screwed the curtain rail to the batten.

This is what I've done.
For my curtain poles I’ve also used the drywall fixings as these seemed to allow the screws to get a much better hold than standard rawlplugs into the board
I had to use liquid nails because of the same problem
screwfix.com/p/g…2gk

These were on dragons den and appear in asda and screwfix due to their ease of fitting and holding strength. I haven't used them but am looking to use them for the same purpose.
Mickyfinn07/05/2020 11:06

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-plasterboard-fixing-25-x-14mm-8-pack/682gkThese were on dragons den and appear in asda and screwfix due to their ease of fitting and holding strength. I haven't used them but am looking to use them for the same purpose.

They work really well. I’ve used them for various applications where I couldn’t access a stud in the wall.
Thanks everyone!
hard one that, for clean plaster board there is nothing to beat anchors like these
screwfix.com/sea…ors
but you need a setting tool, can be had cheap on ebay.
given the diameter of the damage you might be better off trying agripit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions